Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federico Macheda’s Father: My Son Can Be Manchester United’s Marco van Basten
The Man Utd starlet is fond of the former Milan hero and his father hopes he can follow in his footsteps.

Rome-born striker Federico Macheda shot to fame last weekend as he netted Manchester United's crucial winner against Aston Villa to take the Red Devils back to the top of the Premier League.

Macheda’s efforts have grabbed plenty of column inches in Italy and his father, Pasquale, has spoken of his joy and his son’s ambitions in an interview with Tuttosport.

“I am very happy with Federico’s goal. Manchester United gave us everything and we will be always grateful to this club,” he stated.

“‘Kiko’ is still a big fan of Lazio and when we go back to Rome we try and go watch the Biancocelesti. Federico loves the great Marco van Basten and I truly hope he will manage to follow in his footsteps.”

The 17-year-old striker controversially joined the Premier League giants from Lazio in 2007 because Italian Football Federation (FIGC) rules prevented underage players from signing professional terms. His father has not ruled out a return to the peninsula in the future.

“Of course all Italians miss their country, but now Kiko needs to work and grow up,” he noted.

“When his contract expires in 2011, we will see whether some Italian club will want to call him back.”

Vince Masiello, Goal.com

WTF. He surely wouldn't backstab another team... This guy is already looking like he could be like Ronaldo in more ways than one. :(. Hopefully it's bull$hit.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
IF he continues to develop into a good player, he will be offered a big deal here at United.

No player can reject that.

Fergie will be advising him.

******** as always.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
His contract will be extended with a much better offer to keep him here. I wouldn't go looking too much into this story.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I know but who knows what this kid is like, he might not give a shit about United...
excactly there is no reason to believe that macheda will turn up like that . i never give a damn about these articles in which the family member speaks for the player . if the player was truly of that opinion he would come out and say it himself .

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Interview was probably translated incorrectly anyway. Typical tabloid-esque nonsense. Fair play to him wanting to play for his home-town club though. But he can do that later in his career. He's at one of the best club's to nurture and develop talent.

Personally I reckon his father is trying to wrangle a better deal from United

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
excactly there is no reason to believe that macheda will turn up like that . i never give a damn about these articles in which the family member speaks for the player . if the player was truly of that opinion he would come out and say it himself .
No he wouldn't. Or he'd never play again.

Goal... meh.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
IF IF IF he is as good as his debut suggests he will be given a longer more lucrative contract, If he is not good enough he will be sent on his way simple as

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
If he is good there is no doubt that clubs will come along, and he might find it difficult to reject an Italian club.

But I think that if he does make the grade here and is offered a good deal, there is no reason why he wouldn't want to play for United.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I dont have any problem with his dad saying that. It happens a lot where people talk about their future after their contract ends but we wouldnt know if by then he can be used more often in the first team squad and that his contract will be renewed. Im sure if he get more first team chances, everything will end up differently and if not, then it is just right for him to find a club for himself. I dont expect him to forever be in the reserve team, by looking at it, he is the type of person who is ambitious and just playing for the reserve is not what he would love doing for long.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no offence to the thread starter, but this is such a non-story.
Hopefully, you are right... But tbh, I couldn't blame him if he decided to go back to the country which he loves. Let's just hope, he sees the light before 2011.;)

·
Gary Neville's love child
4,035 Posts
I know but who knows what this kid is like, he might not give a shit about United...
May sound naive in some ways but his goal celebration and post match stuff wasn't indicative of someone who doesn't give a shit... I agree goal.com had nothing true to report ;)

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
If we give the lad enough games, and he progresses well, I'm sure he'll stay far beyond them. If we limit his chances like we did with Rossi then we can only blame ourselves really.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
If he continues to progress well and performs when he is given a chance with the 1st team in the next 2 years then he should be offered a good contract before it expires and then it's up to him.. But he will obviously return to Italy at some stage in his career..
I think he does care about United, he moved here when he was just 15, that shows the ambition of the lad.. Judging by his celebration after scoring on Sunday and his post match interview saying how it was a dream, says that he is enjoying life at United, but who couldn't..!:)

·
23,699 Posts
Macheda father stands by Utd move | BreakingNews.ie

Macheda father stands by Utd move

Federico Macheda’s father believes his son made the right choice by leaving Lazio to join Manchester United.

The 17-year-old Italian struck a stoppage-time winner on his debut on Sunday to help the Red Devils to a 3-2 win over Aston Villa which lifted United back to the top of the Barclays Premier League.

Macheda’s achievement was of little consolation to Lazio, who were left angry after United snatched away the star prospect from their youth academy in September 2007.

“It’s thanks to Lazio that today Federico is doing well in his English experience,” said Pasquale Macheda.

“He was a part of Lazio’s youth team and he was fortunate there to learn a lot and become a serious lad from a sporting point of view.

“Federico was born in Rome and grew up at Lazio. But it’s not easy to resist an offer from a prestigious club like Manchester.

“Now we are enjoying the moment and we are proud of what Federico has done.

“He is a serious kid with his feet firmly on the ground.”

One person at Lazio who did celebrate the player’s instant success was Federico’s former coach with the club’s youth team, Stefano Avincola.

“I am delighted for him,” he said. “Of course there’s some regret at the Lazio camp for seeing a quality player leave.

“But I want to reiterate that Lazio did everything they could to keep Federico at the club, seeing in him a player with potential and good prospects.

“Unfortunately, it was not possible and the lad and his family made an understandable choice of leaving Lazio and thanking the club for everything they did for the young Federico.”

1 - 20 of 96 Posts