Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread early in the season when I thought that this might be a 'transitional' season. My thinking at the time was that the Ronny saga and the signing of Berba would have a short term negative impact on the chemistry of team - both on and off the pitch. Well folks, the transition is clearly over. I have even made my peace with Christiano!

Allow me to comment on a few things:

Strike force - While it took Berba a while to feel comfortable, and for the team to gel with him, he is now showing the reasons why we bought him. The worrying early performances of the berba-tev combination seem to be a thing of the past, thanks to Wazza's injury. Yes, there really is a silver lining to everything! Rooney is arguably our most influential attacking player and he will be back imminently, and then there's Danny Wellbeck...fabulous potential.

Midfield - While Nani and Anderson have been a little disappointing at times (sophomore jinx?), Giggsy, Carrick, Park, Fletch and Scholes (at times) have all been absolutely outstanding (yes rfr, Fletch too! :p ). We have just started to get Tosic involved, and Wellbeck's one performance on the wing may warrant a second and third look.

Ronaldo - There is no question that he has been more than a little distracted so far and not firing on all cylinders. Over the last few games he seems to have gotten his enthusiasm back along with some missing pace. The two goals against wba might just kick start his season and if he starts to score regularly again.....holy sh!te!

Back Four - What can be said? With all the injuries/suspensions, their performance has been nothing short of miraculous. Vidic is clearly the best defender in the world (no offense Rio), and his great strengths have allowed SAF to work several youngsters into the mix, with very positive results. Gary Neville has made a full recovery now and is playing near or at the level he was prior to his long injury lay-off. And Wes Brown is back. There is fierce competition for almost every position in the back four - and that is a very good thing. To think we've done all this (10 clean sheets) over the last month without the best LB in the prem - Patrice Evra.

Well, I've gushed enough. I'm just REALLY stoked about this team! :D

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
fantastic team, like I said earlier in the year that on paper this was one of the greatest united squads assembled, and Im relieved they are finally starting to prove me right.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I'd love to find the early threads when i first joined up here. Alot of people thought Chelsea had a better squad at the start of the season...... can someone please find that thread?
But what i was amazed at was people on this forum saying we havnt a strong as squad as Chelsea this year. I was shocked...... we had just won the league for the second year running and won the Champions League only 2 months before.
That was with a mix of youth and experience in our squad.

Moondog is right, the future is Rosey, young hungry squad. We can dominate for years if the hunger is there.

Arsenal came to battle with a sword this year, Liverpool rode into battle on a horse but that horse has tired now, Chelsea came to battle on a steady army tank, slow but affective, But United came to battle with an atomic bomb, as soon as we hit the ground we won that war. Ending all other hopes of victory.
That atomic bomb landed in january, what a month!!

I never felt as confident, the whole squad have been great this season.
RED ARMY..... Kicking a$s in battle since 1878

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VaVaVoom said:
I'd love to find the early threads when i first joined up here. Alot of people thought Chelsea had a better squad at the start of the season...... can someone please find that thread?
It's funny VVV, I was never worried about our squad or our talent level. What did concern me was the ronny circus, the intro of berba and the possible complacency from last season's successes. Now, I say again, I'm like Alfred E Newman!

ps - That is the second time I have used the Alfred E Newman reference, please tell me at least one of you gets it - or am I just waaaaaay too old? :p

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
moondog said:
It's funny VVV, I was never worried about our squad or our talent level. What did concern me was the ronny circus, the intro of berba and the possible complacency from last season's successes. Now, I say again, I'm like Alfred E Newman!

ps - That is the second time I have used the Alfred E Newman reference, please tell me at least one of you gets it - or am I just waaaaaay too old? :p

I can't remember who the few were tha said Chelsea had the bigger better sqaud, id love to see the thread again tho.
The first 10 games were tough, we lost ground and alot of doubt kicked in. Like you said a few threads about complacency was floating around, and was Berbatov a mistake. But i was always positive...... i dunno if i was been stuburn or just believed. I know we havn't won anything yet and are a long way away of doing so, but it has been such a turn around these last 2 months. Everybody must feel confident, the fans, the manager and players.

lol whos this Alfred E Newman guy:confused:

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
it's arguable that they had the better squad at the start of the season, and when people were saying that take into account that we didn't expect the emergence of the likes of rafael, evans, giggs as a cm, welbeck, fabio etc.

at the start of the season I saw it as

gk: cech, cudicini vs vds, foster
lb: a.cole, bridge vs evra, o'shea
cb: terry, carvalho, alex, ivanovic vs ferdinand, vidic
rb: bosingwa, ferreira, belleti vs brown, neville
wingers: j.cole, malouda, kalou vs ronaldo, park, nani, giggs
cm: essien, ballack, lampard, deco, mikel vs carrick, scholes, anderson
cf: drogba, anelka, di santo vs berbatov, rooney, tevez

in which, imo, the only positions our squad is better than them is our front line and wingers - and thats only because it takes malouda+kalou+cole to = Ronaldo alone.

but it's very different now, as I mentioned above due to the emergence of our youngsters, aswell as the sales of Bridge and Cudicini we've got better cover in the GK and LB positions, aswell as RB with Rafael coming through and Neville's return to form. The only area that they're unquestionably stronger in is midfield now.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
For the record, Chelsea started out with a stronger squad on paper.

Fortunately, Scolari's mis-management and Roman needing to sell some players has levelled things out.

Also, who could have foretold the progress of the da Silva's twins and the confidence of Welbeck?

I want to give my take on how United turned things around though.

Without going into tactics and Fergie's management I think we have to thank a few individual performances for our current position:

- Giggsy flourishing in the middle of the Park. Wanna to mention here that -zuco- and I noticed early on that he was doing well in that role when others were slating and hating. Giggs has been a revelation in his new central midfield role

- Jonny Evans. What potential! Ferdinand and Evra both missed games, but this young man has helped to keep the defence tighter than a Chinese virgin.

- Berbatov. In the absence of a box-to-box midfielder or a creative midfielder, this man has made things happen.

In the modern era, it's all about the strength of your squad and once again, Fergie gets to take credit for overseeing everything. We cannot count our chickens yet by any means, but Fergie's confidence in playing Jonny Evans, converting Ryan Giggs' position and purchasing Berbatov have been master strokes.

·
Banned
68 Posts
We got our fantastic 4 now. No one can stop us from retaining the EPL and C1.
This year im expecting a Treble from Man Utd. We are the best. Just want to see the scousers face now and can someone tell me what happen to the case about Gerrard.

We got the great wall of Vidic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts