Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read recently that Eric Cantona was asked: "Do you think the greatest French player of all time is Zinedine Zidane or Michel Platini?"

To which Eric replied: "No, it is me."

I thought that was a brilliant quote from the King.

What are your favourite quotes from United players/managers past or present?

·
Registered
788 Posts
“He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

George Best on David Beckham

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ARBUCKS said:
“He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.â€

George Best on David Beckham
There's a couple of good quotes by Beckham...

"My parents have been there for me, ever since I was about 7."

"I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet."

Made me laugh anyway!

The quote I'll always remember (apart from something about seagulls and trawlers!) was from Fergie after the 1999 Champions League Final...

"Football, eh? Bloody hell!"

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Pool manager Feb 1998- 'You have to give Fergie credit. He has brought United on leaps and bounds.....the bastard'

King Eric- 'Perhaps I should be an example to people, but I do not think that way. I do not react that way. I am simply me'

Giggs on Keane- 'Roy Keane is Damien, the devil incarnate off the film The Omen. He's evil. Even in training'

Keane-'Im moody and grumpy most of the time'

Schmeichel- 'It wasnt my choice to play in goal, but I was probably too violent to play outfield'

Phil Neville- 'Coley calls me jigsaw because I fall to pieces in front of goal'

Lee Sharpe- 'I was never fined for the Sharpey Shuffle, but the boss threatene to. I said if he stopped me doing it I would stop scoring goals'

Tony Adams- 'Ryans goal was meant to be. A higher power at work'

Danny Blanchflower- 'George Best had ice in his veins, warmth in his heart and timing and balance in his feet'

Keane-'We all make an extra effort for the foreign players to make them feel comfotable...having said that, if theyre not working hard enough they get shouted at'

Former Liverpool captain Emlyn Huges when United bought Eric Cantona- 'Its a panic buy'

More to follow when I cba.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Fergie-'Managing this club has become an obsession'

Les Sealey-'The lads used to call me The Judge because I sat on the bench so much'

(ex Spurs)Teddy Sheringham looks forward to his next match against Arsenal in summer 1999 soon after the treble.- 'Im sure Arsenal fans are working on some new chants, but they can sing what they like. Ive got three nice medals to show them'

Cantona-'When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Merci'

Cantona's explanation- 'My lawyer wanted me to talk, I could have said, the curtains are pink but I love them'

Cantona-'certainly take the advice of others but always, always be yourself'

Roy Keane-'Who am i more scared of -the Gaffer or the Missus? Neither. Always have your alibi ready-Thats my motto!'

Wenger the week before United beat Arsenal 6-1 in 2001- 'United havent done anything special this season'

SAF on Neville-'His whole meaning of life is about Manchester United'

Sir Bobby Charlton- 'Over the years people called several players the new Duncan Edwards...first Dave Mackay, the Bryan Robson. But none of them came close. He was the only player that made me feel inferior'

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Sir Matt Busby:

"I do not worry about conceding goals because I know my forwards will double it at the other end"

Cantona:

"If I can walk off the field when the whistle has blown and have a clear conscience, I have had a good game, but I analyse everything I have done and seldom find perfection"

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
"Giggs came in from the left hand right." - George Best

"Forlan gets the ball inside the box, on the edge of the box and puts it away from inside the box." - GB on Forlan

"I'd be surprised if all 22 players are on the field at the end of the game; one has already been sent off." - GB

"Pele called me the greatest footballer in the world. That is the ultimate salute to my life." - GB on himself

"In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol; it was the worst 20 minutes of my life."
GB on women and Alcohol!!

"I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number. He asked me: 'What's an IQ?'" GB on Gazza!

"I didn't study; I live. You can't study these things; life teaches them to you. You don't find them in a book. I've read a lot of Socrates on page three of the Sun."
Eric Cantona on life

"When you are a rich man you are proud to own a Rolls Royce and when you are a poor man you are proud to own a Renault." - Eric Cantona on wealth

"Cole should be scoring from those distances, but I'm not going to single him out."
SAF on Andy Cole

"He could start a row in an empty house." SAF on Dennis Wise

"We have people coming here to admire the scenery and enjoy their crisps." - SAF on Manchester United fans

"Alex Ferguson is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had."
Beckham on SAF

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
"I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell."
ALEX FERGUSON JUST AFTER UNITED WON EUROPEAN CUP

"At the end of this game, the European Cup will be only six feet away from you
and you'll not even able to touch it if we lose. And for many of you that will be
the closest you will ever get. Don't you dare come back in here without giving
your all".
ALEX FERGUSON HALF TIME TEAMTALK IN EUROPEAN CUP FINAL

"It would have been Sir Matt Busby's 90th birthday today, but I think he was up
there doing a lot of kicking."
ALEX FERGUSON POST MATCH EUROPEAN CUP FINAL

"My greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their f*cking perch...and
you can print that."
FERGIE RESPONDING TO ALAN HANSEN QUESTIONING HIS FUTURE IN SEPT 2002

"Just f*cking patch him up"
FERGIE TO CLUB PHYSIO AFTER KICKING BOOT THAT CUT BECKHAM'S HEAD

"It was a freakish incident. If I tried it 100 or a million times it couldn't happen
again. If I could I would have carried on playing!"
FERGIE REPONDS TO THE PRESS ABOUT BECKHAM BOOT INCIDENT

"It's getting tickly now - squeaky-bum time, I call it".
FERGIE ON THE 2003 TITLE RACE

"I'm no f*cking talking to you. He's a f*cking great player. Yous are f*cking idiots"
SIR ALEX TALKS TO JOURNALISTS ABOUT VERON

"Eriksson would have been a nice easy choice for them [the United board] in
terms of nothing really happens, does it? He doesn't change anything. He sails
along, nobody falls out with him. He comes out and he says [faking a Swedish
accent]: 'The first half we were good, second half we were not so good. I am
very pleased with the result.' I think he'd have been all right for United, you
know what I mean? The acceptable face.".
FERGIE ON SVEN GORAN ERIKSSON

"If he was an inch taller he'd be the best centre half in Britain. His father is 6ft
2in - I'd check the milkman."
ALEX FERGUSON ON GARY NEVILLE, 1996

"When an Italian tells me its pasta on the plate I check under the sauce to make
sure"
ALEX FERGUSON BEFORE UNITED PLAYED INTER MILAN IN MARCH 1999

"Whether Dribbling or sprinting, Ryan can leave the best defenders with twisted
blood"
FERGUSON ON RYAN GIGGS

"Cole should be scoring from those distances, but I'm not going to single him out."
ALEX FERGUSON ON ANDY COLE

"He goes to more funerals than anybody I have ever met."
KEN RAMSDEN, IN ‘UNITED WE STAND', ON SIR ALEX.

"Sir Alex has got such a stern exterior but behind the scenes he is almost this
huge, larger-than-life comedian. He's always singing at the top of his voice."
REBECCA TOW IN 'UNITED WE STAND' BOOK

"This slice of pizza came flying over my head and hit Fergie straight in the mush.
All mouths gawped to see this pizza slip off this famous, puce face and roll down
his nice black suit."
ASHLEY COLE REVEALS WHAT HAPPENED IN "PIZZA-GATE" OCT 2004

·
Registered
3 Posts
"It was just another day in the long history of Manchester United"
- Sir Alex, after a particularly bad defeat, 5-0 to (pre-Roman) Chelsea.

I always admired this quote. :)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Schmeichel after the 1994 double:
'After the 1994 FA Cup Final, I just sank to the floor and alll my emotions poured out. There were tears, I cried. But there's nothing wrong with that.'

Ole reveals he cost of THAT goals celebrations:
'When I went down on my knees I strained my ligaments and I was out for the whole summer'- Ironic that this could have had a part to play in his early retirement :-(

Z

·
0 Posts
United Quotes

Thought I'd share these :D

"I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell."
ALEX FERGUSON JUST AFTER UNITED WON EUROPEAN CUP

"At the end of this game, the European Cup will be only six feet away from you and you'll not even able to touch it if we lose. And for many of you that will be the closest you will ever get. Don't you dare come back in here without giving your all".
ALEX FERGUSON HALF TIME TEAMTALK IN EUROPEAN CUP FINAL

"It would have been Sir Matt Busby's 90th birthday today, but I think he was up there doing a lot of kicking."
ALEX FERGUSON POST MATCH EUROPEAN CUP FINAL

"My greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their ****ing perch...and you can print that."

"Just ****ing patch him up"
FERGIE TO CLUB PHYSIO AFTER KICKING BOOT THAT CUT BECKHAM'S HEAD

"It was a freakish incident. If I tried it 100 or a million times it couldn't happen again. If I could I would have carried on playing!"
FERGIE REPONDS TO THE PRESS ABOUT BECKHAM BOOT INCIDENT

"It's getting tickly now - squeaky-bum time, I call it".
FERGIE ON THE 2003 TITLE RACE

"I'm no ****ing talking to you. He's a ****ing great player. Yous are ****ing idiots"
SIR ALEX TALKS TO JOURNALISTS ABOUT VERON

"My greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their ****ing perch...and you can print that."

"Eriksson would have been a nice easy choice for them [the United board] in terms of nothing really happens, does it? He doesn't change anything. He sails along, nobody falls out with him. He comes out and he says [faking a Swedish accent]: 'The first half we were good, second half we were not so good. I am very pleased with the result.' I think he'd have been all right for United, you know what I mean? The acceptable face.".
FERGIE ON SVEN GORAN ERIKSSON

"If he was an inch taller he'd be the best centre half in Britain. His father is 6ft 2in - I'd check the milkman."
ALEX FERGUSON ON GARY NEVILLE, 1996

"When an Italian tells me its pasta on the plate I check under the sauce to make sure"
ALEX FERGUSON BEFORE UNITED PLAYED INTER MILAN IN MARCH 1999

"Whether Dribbling or sprinting, Ryan can leave the best defenders with twisted blood"
FERGUSON ON RYAN GIGGS

ALEX FERGUSON ON ANDY COLE

"He goes to more funerals than anybody I have ever met."
KEN RAMSDEN, IN ‘UNITED WE STAND', ON SIR ALEX.

"Sir Alex has got such a stern exterior but behind the scenes he is almost this huge, larger-than-life comedian. He's always singing at the top of his voice."
REBECCA TOW IN 'UNITED WE STAND' BOOK

"This slice of pizza came flying over my head and hit Fergie straight in the mush. All mouths gawped to see this pizza slip off this famous, puce face and roll down his nice black suit."
ASHLEY COLE REVEALS WHAT HAPPENED IN "PIZZA-GATE" OCT 2004

"We are enjoying it greatly. It's a wonderful franchise and we just love it."
MALCOM GLAZER TALKS ABOUT HOW HE IS LOVING EVERY MINUTE AT THE MANCHESTER UNITED "FRANCHISE"

"I don't think some of the people who come to Old Trafford can spell football, never mind understand it."
ROY KEANE

"Sometimes you wonder, do they understand the game of football? They have a few drinks and probably the prawn sandwiches, and they don't realise what's going on out on the pitch."
ROY KEANE ON SECTION OF THE OLD TRAFFORD CROWD

"I'd waited long enough. I ****ing hit him hard. The ball was there (I think). Take that you ****. And don't ever stand over me sneering about fake injuries."
ROY KEANE TALKING ABOUT ALF ENG HAALAND

"Even in the dressing room afterwards, I had no remorse. My attitude was, **** him. What goes around comes around. He got his just rewards. He ****ed me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
ROY KEANE TALKING ABOUT ALF ENG HAALAND TACKLE

"Who the **** do you think you are, having meetings about me? Mick, you're a liar... you're a ****ing wanker. I didn't rate you as a player, I don't rate you as a manager, and I don't rate you as a person. You're a ****ing wanker and you can stick your World Cup up your arse. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your bollocks!!!"
ROY KEANE ALLEDGEDLY TO MICK McCARTHY MAY 2002

"I hope I don't come across as bitter and twisted but that man can rot in hell for all I care,"
ROY KEANE TALKING ABOUT MICK McCARTHY AUG 2002

"Just because you are paid £120,000-a-week and play well for 20 minutes against Tottenham, you think you are a superstar"
ROY KEANE 'PLAYS THE PUNDIT' ON MUTV TALKING ABOUT RIO FERDINAND, OCT 2002

"It seems to be in this club that you have to play badly to be rewarded. Maybe that is what I should do when I come back. Play badly"
ROY KEANE 'PLAYS THE PUNDIT' ON MUTV, NOV 2005

"He has discovered that, to football clubs, players are just expensive pieces of meat. The harsh realities remain and when a club decide they want to sell there is little you can do once the wheels are in motion."
ROY KEANE ON JAAP STAM'S ABRUPT OLD TRAFFORD EXIT NOV 2005

'If it's not a contract I want then I won't sign it. That's not a threat."
ROY KEANE OCT 1999

"They say Al Capone did some good things in his life. Trouble was, he would go out in the streets and shoot people. Keane is becoming United's Al Capone"
BRIAN CLOUGH COMPARES KEANO TO A 1930'S MAFIA MURDERER

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think that sardines will be thrown into the sea"
ERIC CANTONA

"My lawyer and the officials wanted me to speak. So I just said that. It was nothing, it did not mean anything. I could have said 'The curtains are pink but I love them'"
CANTONA EXPLAINS HIS FAMOUS SARDINES QUOTE

"It is fortunate that most players are not like me or there would be anarchy."
ERIC CANTONA

"A good goal is one that is important and beautiful."
ERIC CANTONA

"Leaving a club is like leaving a woman. When you have nothing left to say, you go."
ERIC CANTONA

"An artist in my eyes, is someone who can lighten up a dark room.
I have never and will never find difference between the pass from Pele to Carlos Alberto in the final of the World Cup in 1970 and the poetry of the young Rimbaud,
who stretches cords from steeple to steeple and garlands from window to window.
There is in each of these human manifestations an expression of beauty which touches us and gives us a feeling of eternity."
ERIC CANTONA

"Look at these small fry. I could piss on them"
ERIC CANTONA THREATENS SPORTS JOURNALISTS ON A FRENCH TELEVISION CHAT SHOW IN MARCH 2001

"In my opinion he's a flashy foreigner, he'll score goals for United....only when they'ere two up"
EMLYN HUGHES ON CANTONA'S ARRIVAL IN NOVEMBER 1992

"It is totally out of the question. There is no way we would sell him, or any of our best players"
FERGIE ON SELLING BECKHAM, 12TH APRIL 2003.

"There's been lots of stuff in the media about me and my future, but I can honestly say that there has been no contact between either me or my adviser, with Real Madrid, or any other club."
DAVID BECKHAM 6TH MAY 2003

"Never, never, never, never. Nothing, never, never, never. Not now. Not everâ€
REAL MADRID PRESIDENT FLORENTINO PEREZ ON SIGNING BECKHAM, APRIL 29TH 2003

"I tried it in Chinese the other night and drew some characters. It looks good and Victoria was impressed, but I copied it off a Chinese menu so I probably had fried rice, salt and pepper ribs and hot and sour soup over my arm instead of Victoria"
BECKHAM TELLS US ABOUT HIS NEW "VICTORIA" TATTOO

"I really like the clothes he wears, apart from my underwear. He keeps pinching my knickers."
VICTORIA 'POSH SPICE' BECKHAM

"Alex Ferguson is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had."
DAVID BECKHAM

"Beckham cannot kick with his left foot, can't head the ball, can't tackle and he doesn't score enough goals. Otherwise he's all right."
GEORGE BEST

"I only have to open my mouth and I get totally slaughtered"
BECKHAM ACKNOWLEDGES HIS BIGGEST WEAKNESS IN 1997

"It's great. He has a lot of experience with Lazio and other clubs. It should be good, it will be good. We have got many good players and they will become a good team. He is a great manager. I think it will be a good thing."
BECKHAM ON SVEN GORAN ERIKSSON

"My parents have been there for me, ever since I was about 7"
DAVID BECKHAM

'I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet."
DAVID BECKHAM

"Well, I can play in the centre, on the right and occasionally on the left side."
DAVID BECKHAM

Z

·
0 Posts
"Without being too harsh on David Beckham, he cost us the match."
IAN WRIGHT ON THE ARGENTINA GAME

"I don't know why. Maybe some people don't like me. Maybe I'm too good."
RONALDO ON WHY CONTROVERSY SEEMS TO FOLLOW HIM IN MARCH 2007

"The 90th minute at Anfield, in front of the Kop! Gary Neville told me that is his dream and I've just gone and done it!"
JOHN O'SHEA AFTER SCORING WINNER AT ANFIELD IN MARCH 2007

"Unconsciously, I fell in love with the small, round sphere with its amusing and capricious rebounds which sometimes play with me"
FABIEN BARTHEZ

"The players have been fantastic to me, but they will not be kissing my head. I have told them the only person who can kiss my head is Laurent Blanc and I do not think he is going to come to United now"
FABIEN BARTHEZ'S HEAD BELONGS TO LAURENT BLANC

"There's a rumour in Spain that United players have to wear special red underwear with a Vodafone logo on it. I can tell you that I haven't seen anything like that yet but if I have to wear it I will"
UNITED KEEPER RICARDO ON SIGNING FOR UNITED AUGUST 2002

"I was drivivng through London when I saw an advert saying 'Drink Canada dry' "
GEORGE BEST ON WHY HE WENT TO NORTH AMERICA

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered"
GEORGE BEST

"When I die I'd like to be remembered as the greatest footballer of all time. When that day comes, they won't talk about the booze, the women, the fast cars. They'll talk about the football"
GEORGE BEST

"If I had been born ugly, you would never have heard of Pelé"
GEORGE BEST

"In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life."
GEORGE BEST

"I went missing quite alot...... Miss england, miss wales, miss world....."
GEORGE BEST

""Pele called me the greatest footballer in the world, that is the ultimate salute to my life."
GEORGE BEST

"Denis was the best in the business, he could score goals from a hundredth of a chance never mind half of one"
GEORGE BEST ON DENIS LAW

"'Our talking point this morning is George Best, his liver transplant and the booze culture in football. Don't forget, the best caller wins a crate of John Smith's"
ALAN BRAZIL ON TALKSPORT BREAKFAST SHOW

"I was in for 10 hours and had 40 pints - beating my previous record by 20 minutes."
GEORGE BEST ON THE BLOOD TRANSFUSION AFTER HIS LIVER TRANSPLANT.

"What other fans steal tickets from fellow fans or from the hands of children? You must ask yourself why at the same match, with the same conditions, there was no trouble with the Milan fans - only the Liverpool fans"
UEFA'S WILLIAM GAILLARD IN JUNE 2007 ON WHY LIVERPOOL FANS ARE THE WORST IN EUROPE

"We were the last Manchester team to win the League and we'll be the next one."
PETER SWALES MANCHESTER CITY CHAIRMAN 1992

"You'll never win anything with kids"
ALAN HANSEN AUGUST 1995

"Manchester United have just signed a £36 million deal with Vodafone, whilst our sponsors have gone bust."
KEVIN KEEGAN REVEALS A MANCHESTER CITY DILEMMA, AUGUST 2003

"They've got to go to Middlesbrough and get something and I'll tell you this, I will love it if we beat them, love it".
KEVIN KEEGAN MAY 1996

"Can Manchester United score. They always score."
CLIVE TYLDESLEY BEFORE SHERINGHAM SCORED IN EURO FINAL

"Name on the trophy!"
CLIVE TYLDESLEY AFTER SHERINGHAM SCORED IN EURO FINAL

"I was shocked when I was first introduced to the fans because they brought out a sheep, cut its head off and then smeared blood over my forehead.
RONNY JOHNSEN ON LIFE WITH BESIKTAS, TURKEY

"If that lad makes a First Division footballer, my name is Mao Tse-Tung."
TOMMY "MA0 TSE-TUNG" DOCHERTY AFTER SEEING DWIGHT YORKE ON HIS DEBUT IN 1990

"I'd crawl all the way from Norwich to Manchester for the chance to play for United".
STEVE BRUCE

"If we played like that every week we wouldn't be so inconsistent"
BRYAN ROBSON 1990.

"....sometimes you feel Andy needs to get four or five chances before he scores"
GLEN HODDLE ON ANDY COLE

"**** off Coisty!"
ANDY GORAM ON THE PHONE TO SIR ALEX FERGUSON. FERGIE HAD ASKED HIM TO JOIN UNITED BUT ANDY THOUGHT IT WAS AN ALLY McCOIST PRANK

"I was settled at Manchester United, I had even just ordered a new kitchen"
JAAP STAM IN SEPTEMBER 2001 AFTER BEING OFFLOADED TO LAZIO

"The world's largest mobile phone company have been connected to the world's biggest answering-back machine."
JOHN SADLER, THE SUN, ON UNITED'S DEAL WITH VODAFONE

"The only thing I have in common with George Best is that we come from the same place, play for the same club and were discovered by the same man."
NORMAN WHITESIDE

"...and he [Peter Schmeichel] extends and grows even bigger than he is."
RON ATKINSON

"Some of Paul Scholes' tackles come in so late they arrive yesterday"
CLIVE TYLDESLEY

"There's no way that Ryan Giggs is another George Best: he's another Ryan Giggs."
DENIS LAW

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Sir Alex: Nah, that's absolute bo***x that! (Replying to a Sky interviewer when asked about retirement and pressure)

Sir Alex: When an Italian says it's pasta I check under the sauce to make sure. They are innovators of the smokescreen.

Sir Alex: If Chelsea drop points, the cat's out in the open. And you know what cats are like - sometimes they don't come home.

Sir Alex: If we can play like that every week, we'll get some level of consistency

Roy Keane: Sometimes you wonder, do they understand the game of football? They have a few drinks and probably the prawn sandwiches, and they don't realise what's going on out on the pitch.

Roy Keane: I'd waited long enough. I f****** hit him hard. The ball was there (I think). Take that you ****. And don't ever stand over me sneering about fake injuries. (From his autobiography, on Alfe Inge Haaland))

And my siggy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts