Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Community/Charity shield is not a major thropy...but can anyone explain like why is this? I mean it is not a friendly match type of cup like the Amsterdam Cup or like the Emierates Cup or like the Vodaphone Cup...it is played at Wembley and is part of the honors list/thropy cabinet so why can't it be part of like the treble and quadruple and stuff like that? Not any team can get into it and it is played at Wembley now which is a big staduim! Do you people think it should get more importance than it has at the moment? I mean if Man United win the 'double' (CL and EPL) and they already won the Community sheild...that is like winning 3 cups out of 5 competitions they played in which is quite good...Rafa himself adds that to his wonderful 7 finals he has taken liverpool too lol and the scousers claimed BUT WE WERE NOT THROPHYLESS LAST SEASON!! (all pointing towards the sheild)...

My question for discussion is: in your view should it be held in greater regard and be apart of the double, treble, quadruple equation (i mean if liverpool's league cup and uefa cup and fa cup can be a treble)...I think it should be of greater importance only because it is not a friendly invited competiton or a simple pre-season cup..but instead it is apart of the honors list for english clubs...

or do you people think it should be relegeated to a pre-season cup?

Another thing I would like to say is..why can't this game be played overseas like the Italian version is..? People are asking for the EPL to be taken overseason but why can't this community shield be as like a small step or like a test to see if it will be successfull (and the FA will make much more cash!) I wouldn't mind flying to Kuala Lumpur (example) from Australia to watch Man United play say Chelsea? in the Community Shield..I mean the europeans shouldn't just hog all the fun :p

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
its a bit like the boat race in the way only two clubs in it . its nothing more than a curtain raiser and unless it was played right at seasons end will never be anything else . managers do not want it as a fixture as they do not want to lose players for start of league season .

a slant i would like to see is that the two clubs in last relegation positions ie the one that would go down and the one that would escape could play this with the prize being pl football for the season . it would never happen though .

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
It's nothing more than a glorified friendly. It wasn't too long ago that a draw meant the shield was shared.

It's like the European Super Cup - no one really takes that too seriously either.

Let's face it, you're never going to have people lining the streets welcoming home the Community Shield winners!!!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
its a curtain opener as stated by haggler,

ya never hear any1 bragging about the community shield or even the super cup... i once watched the italian equivalent of this about 3 years ago and no1 was at it!!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
the problem is that it is one off match, and cannot really mean anything. more like an exhibition match than a competitive match, fans and players dun get upset even if they lose it

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I always say that when United win it its important
but if its somebody else, namely the 'other 3' then I say its worthless :D
Any chance to gloat to other Pool or Arse fans has to be taken.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I always say that when United win it its important
It certainly was in previous seasons because winning the cursed shield meant you wouldn't win the Prem!

Looks like we could buck the trend this season though...

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
A trophy/shield is great to win no matter what. Some are just better than others.

BTW, Looks like we're next seasons winners already! lmao:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts