Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By ANTONY KASTRINAKIS (Have to mention this appeared in The Sun)

SAMUEL ETO’O believes Barcelona are better than Manchester United and he is already dreaming of a Champions League final date in Moscow.
The Barca hitman said: “United are a great team but so are we. We have better players than them.

“I’m already dreaming of the final in Moscow. Why shouldn’t I?”
And his skipper Carles Puyol also insisted: “I am certain that one year if United continue like this they can win the Champions League — but it won’t be this one.”
Spanish ace Puyol, 30 on Sunday, has branded the titanic clash with United as the “greatest semi-final in Champions League history.”
Greatest semi-final ever?

The central defender has huge expectations as two of the world’s top teams slug it out for a place in the final on May 21.
United stars Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez will be pitted against aces like Lionel Messi, Thierry Henry, Eto’o and Xavi. And Puyol added: “This could be the greatest semi-final in the history of the Champions League.
"Two sets of fantastic players will be set against each other.
“We have a lot of respect for United because they are such a great side and a massive club.

“They have very good players and really I expect it to be a beautiful semi-final. I am confident we will go through.”
Puyol, who lifted the trophy two years ago in Paris when BÃ¥rca beat Arsenal, is a fan of United wing wonder Ronaldo.

But he insisted that Barca have their own genius in Argie wonderkid Messi — who will be back to face the Red Devils after a long absence with a thigh problem.
He added: “Cristiano Ronaldo is a spectacular player. Not only with his game but he’s also scoring a lot of goals.

“He’s a player who can win a game on his own. But, as I said, we also have excellent players and now we are going to have Messi back who is a fundamental player for us.”
Puyol insists Barcelona will be at their best against United despite having had a poor season in La Liga.
A string of poor results have left them six points behind bitter rivals Real Madrid. Angry fans have turned against stars like Ronaldinho and have demanded the head of coach Frank Rijkaard.

Even the quarter-final win against Schalke was not enough for the fans who booed Rijkaard and waved white handkerchiefs at him — a Spanish tradition to demand the sacking of the manager.
However Puyol believes they will not be distracted as they bid to wreck United’s Euro dream.
And he insisted that despite hitting trail-blazing form United will not start the tie as favourites.

He said: “The atmosphere around the club will not affect us. Winning against Schalke was a great night.
“You have to take into account we are in the semi-finals. It’s true we have been quite average this season but you have to appreciate what we have achieved reaching this stage of the Champions League.
“United have hit top form but in a Champions League semi-final each team has a 50 per cent chance of going through. Both teams have brilliant players.”

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
I can seriously sense the fear in their voice, eto claiming that he already sees himself in moscow is hilarious, were does mr eto base his facts on, their incredibly awful performance against a mediocre schalke side, their loss against betis? just another reason for me to hate barcelona.

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
I'm sure this is a wonderful article ...

I can't be bothered to read it though ... :rolleyes:

I was happily reading it actually ...

Then it came to the part where
Samuel Eto'o said Barcelona have
better players than United ...
In your dreams Sammy !!!

There are too many big mouths in
this Barcelona team and I for one
cannot wait for United to shut them
all up once and for all !!

Let's do it ... ;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
barca has proved that they are a great team by winning the champions league and la liga two years ago. but i believe that team has peaked at that time and now it is our turn to grab the double. we have more hunger, more determination, more talents and most importantly,we are stronger as a team, but we have to prove it and the perfect chance lies there for us to take, and we wont let it slip by.

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
I just noticed - why is this in the 'Matchday Forum' ... :confused:

'Man United Chat' is a bit better choice don't you think ... ?

There's no Barca Matchday Thread yet anyway ...

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
lets not worry about where this goes it should really go in the nonsense section as samual eto is talking out of his rear end

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
This is amazing! Wow I didn't expect the Barca players to be this arrogant and boastful! What do they have to boast about? There La Liga form? lmao now thats a joke! There awful performance versus Schalke where there own fans booed them? That just completed the joke! What about their manager's hair cut rofl!

I don't know what Eto'o was thinking when he said they have better players than ours. Our squad is miles better of theirs! We have the perfect blend of youth and experience whereas they do not. We have experienced players like Giggs, Scholes, Neville and Ferguson which is vital in European nights, especially in big games like this.

Compare their young guns Bojan Kirkic and Dos Santos's expereince to our youngesters ones Nani and Anderson. They all have played in champions league before unlike Barca's so called youngsters who are on their debut season and they are all equal if not better (that being Nani and Anderson).

Then they talk about Messi - well I think Ronaldo is better because he is more of a complete player and is more well rounded as he can score free kicks, penalties, headers, long shots, tap ins, finish one on ones, and put in corner scrambles, can dribble, do tricks, cross, and create goals and can play in left, right, centre as a midfielder or attacker, is taller and stronger and a much better actor lol!

Eto'o is good player but we got Tevez and Rooney of equal quality and there is the out of form Henry which is not a real threat! The key battles will be won in the midfield and our new triangle of centre mids of Carrick, Scholes, Hargreaves, Anderson (depending on who gets picked) is much better then theres (Deco, Xabi, Iniesta). We have better wingers and even our sub wingers are quality like Park. And the obvious thing that we have better is the defence! VDS is miles better than that Valdes and their defence is a joke compared to ours. Evra > Abidal, Rio and Vidic is better than any partnering centre backs when on full form and we now got the choice in rb of Brown and Neville who are both solid. I say we got a better defence and they can cope with their so called amazing attackers. We also got awsome attackers and our centre midfield has more depth and quality then theirs imo.

Barca think they are favorites? ROFL!! We got the 2nd leg at HOME and plus our domestic form is million times better then theirs and we are also undefeated in Europe and we do not boo our players for playing bad because they just don't play bad! I see we are clear favorites.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Barce aren't what they used to be, plus, they've got some bad injuries to deal
with at the moment.

I was watching an Irish station for the United - Roma game and afterwards they
said something along the lines of this,

"The Real's, Barcelona's, Bayern Munich (Powerhouses of Europe) are all fading
but Man Utd are pushing on...."

Its true, we've been aound for soo long and it will continue I'm sure!

As for Barce being better?

I don't agree with that statementat all now, but if they had their top 11
out.....then I'd consider it.....but not with the current state they're in...

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
carlyluvsunited said:
I just noticed - why is this in the 'Matchday Forum' ... :confused:

'Man United Chat' is a bit better choice don't you think ... ?

There's no Barca Matchday Thread yet anyway ...

Noted.... but I'm finding it a bit tricky to please everyone when it comes to posting in the right sections.

The discription for the matchday section is "Discuss the fixtures and the results whoever United is up against, in any competition."

So that's what I opted for .....

sparkic said:
This is amazing! Wow I didn't expect the Barca players to be this arrogant and boastful! What do they have to boast about? There La Liga form? lmao now thats a joke! There awful performance versus Schalke where there own fans booed them? That just completed the joke! What about their manager's hair cut rofl!

I don't know what Eto'o was thinking when he said they have better players than ours. Our squad is miles better of theirs! We have the perfect blend of youth and experience whereas they do not. We have experienced players like Giggs, Scholes, Neville and Ferguson which is vital in European nights, especially in big games like this.

Barca think they are favorites? ROFL!! We got the 2nd leg at HOME and plus our domestic form is million times better then theirs and we are also undefeated in Europe and we do not boo our players for playing bad because they just don't play bad! I see we are clear favorites.

I think they are trying to sound a battle cry, but I think it's lame to do so by dumping on your opponents. It's actually gong to upset Rio and Vidic and I don't think they should be upsetting Vidic. :)

It's very poor form to speak ill of your opponents and I think the best way our lads can react is by showing Europe that we are the best team, go to the Nou Camp and kick their butts!

I am not scared of this barcelona squad. If they had a fit and inform Ronaldinho and Messi and the team-spirit of two season ago - maybe.

As it stands, I am quietly confident that we can get a result away and bring them back for a good spanking. They love to play attacking football and we'll punish them, cos we're better than them at their own game.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Noted.... but I'm finding it a bit tricky to please everyone when it comes to posting in the right sections.

The discription for the matchday section is "Discuss the fixtures and the results whoever United is up against, in any competition."

So that's what I opted for .....

I have changed it to reflect the "current match fixture"

·
23,699 Posts
Henry: United are not scared

Source: Laurent Picard/Setanta Sports, 11 April 2008

Barcelona's Thierry Henry has expressed his feelings on the Champions League semi-final showdown with Manchester United.

The Frenchman reckons that Sir Alex Ferguson's side are playing great football, but he relies on Lionel Messi, back from injury, to be the man to watch against The Red Devils.

Henry has not been impressed by the Mancunians when he saw them in action against Middlesbrough (2-2) and against their city neighbours at Old Trafford (1-2).

“I think it could not be a bad game,†he told football365.fr. “They are a team that play, that attack at home and away.

“It will be a change for us compared to the teams that only come to defend and counter attack at Camp Nou.

“Manchester are not scared of anyone and never stop going forward. It is the club's attitude and the manager's.

“That is not easy for us but the returns of Leo Messi and Deco will help us. A Messi at his top form can create the turning point of a game at every moment.

“Manchester may currently be playing the football in Europe. It is very hard for their adversaries when they develop their football. But everything can change quickly.

“I recently saw them not being supreme against Middlesbrough or at home against City. We are capable to improve our level and to be at the height of the event wihin two weeks.â€

·
Registered
5 Posts
To be perfectly honest coming from a FCB fan it all depends on the first legm if Manchester come to Camp Nou and get any result other than a defeat they will go through no question about it. We are simply not as good as what we were and it looks like Man Utd is the in-form team in this season. Also it depends on the fitness of Lionel Messi, with out him we are not the same! Our away record this season has been poor espacilly in the domestic section!

Also theres been a lot of trouble at Camp Nou of recent, rumor has it Ronaldinho faked a previous injury, the head of economics yesterday came out with a statement declaring players such as Ronaldinho and Deco have been section off from the rest of the team. A certain board member let rumor slip into the press declaring Frank Rijkaard will leave at the end of the season and Josep Guardiola would replace him! After our last league game a goaless draw with Getafe, there was a big protest members demaning the current president to resign. The team at the moment is pritty shook up even the president has been accused of ruining Ronaldinho's repretation so he would be easy to sell in the sumer!

·
Banned
198 Posts
yangch0000 said:
barca has proved that they are a great team by winning the champions league and la liga two years ago. but i believe that team has peaked at that time and now it is our turn to grab the double. we have more hunger, more determination, more talents and most importantly,we are stronger as a team, but we have to prove it and the perfect chance lies there for us to take, and we wont let it slip by.
Hear hear!!! excellent post!

we're better team, have jut as skilled but physically stronger and more determined players than barcelona have.

messi though back, is not likely to be on form until the secon leg, when hopefully the tie will be in it's time fo rthe acid test, to see if we can holdon to the lead we got in the first leg ;),

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I know, don't worry.
I wasn't making a
big deal of it.

The 'Matchday'
Forum has always
been used for
discussing a
match that is
'approaching'.

Any other things
are discussed in
'Man Utd Chat' ...

All the long term
members here
know this - but
we can't expect
you to know so I
explain to you
now okie dokie ... :)

RD has changed
the 'description'
on the Matchday
Forum now too ... ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
RedForceRising said:
By ANTONY KASTRINAKIS (Have to mention this appeared in The Sun)

SAMUEL ETO’O believes Barcelona are better than Manchester United and he is already dreaming of a Champions League final date in Moscow.
The Barca hitman said: “United are a great team but so are we. We have better players than them.

“I’m already dreaming of the final in Moscow. Why shouldn’t I?”
And his skipper Carles Puyol also insisted: “I am certain that one year if United continue like this they can win the Champions League — but it won’t be this one.”
Spanish ace Puyol, 30 on Sunday, has branded the titanic clash with United as the “greatest semi-final in Champions League history.”
Greatest semi-final ever?

The central defender has huge expectations as two of the world’s top teams slug it out for a place in the final on May 21.
United stars Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez will be pitted against aces like Lionel Messi, Thierry Henry, Eto’o and Xavi. And Puyol added: “This could be the greatest semi-final in the history of the Champions League.
"Two sets of fantastic players will be set against each other.
“We have a lot of respect for United because they are such a great side and a massive club.

“They have very good players and really I expect it to be a beautiful semi-final. I am confident we will go through.”
Puyol, who lifted the trophy two years ago in Paris when BÃ¥rca beat Arsenal, is a fan of United wing wonder Ronaldo.

But he insisted that Barca have their own genius in Argie wonderkid Messi — who will be back to face the Red Devils after a long absence with a thigh problem.
He added: “Cristiano Ronaldo is a spectacular player. Not only with his game but he’s also scoring a lot of goals.

“He’s a player who can win a game on his own. But, as I said, we also have excellent players and now we are going to have Messi back who is a fundamental player for us.”
Puyol insists Barcelona will be at their best against United despite having had a poor season in La Liga.
A string of poor results have left them six points behind bitter rivals Real Madrid. Angry fans have turned against stars like Ronaldinho and have demanded the head of coach Frank Rijkaard.

Even the quarter-final win against Schalke was not enough for the fans who booed Rijkaard and waved white handkerchiefs at him — a Spanish tradition to demand the sacking of the manager.
However Puyol believes they will not be distracted as they bid to wreck United’s Euro dream.
And he insisted that despite hitting trail-blazing form United will not start the tie as favourites.

He said: “The atmosphere around the club will not affect us. Winning against Schalke was a great night.
“You have to take into account we are in the semi-finals. It’s true we have been quite average this season but you have to appreciate what we have achieved reaching this stage of the Champions League.
“United have hit top form but in a Champions League semi-final each team has a 50 per cent chance of going through. Both teams have brilliant players.”
Yes Red Devil is the GREATEST of all. But I want to make request that we need an African player at least one PLEASE!!!

SAMUEL ETO'S dream of winning the cup is just a failure and nothing than failure because United is the only team both in Championship and Premiership that has the best formation with this the trouphies are our UNITED Forever

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
carlyluvsunited said:
I know, don't worry.
I wasn't making a
big deal of it.

The 'Matchday'
Forum has always
been used for
discussing a
match that is
'approaching'.

Any other things
are discussed in
'Man Utd Chat' ...

All the long term
members here
know this - but
we can't expect
you to know so I
explain to you

RD has changed
the 'description'
on the Matchday
Forum now too ... ;)
OKIE DOKIE! :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
I know, don't worry.
I wasn't making a
big deal of it.

The 'Matchday'
Forum has always
been used for
discussing a
match that is
'approaching'.

Any other things
are discussed in
'Man Utd Chat' ...

All the long term
members here
know this - but
we can't expect
you to know so I
explain to you

RD has changed
the 'description'
on the Matchday
Forum now too ... ;)
am sorry but, everytime i glance at your posts i expect to start reading a poem :D its just the way its layed out.

but anyway. how can henry say i saw them perform badly against city and boro. has he not seen the matches in between where we literally dominated ? as for messi... he's not exactly gona be in form comin straight back from injury.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts