Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to know who do you think is our biggest rival in Europe of all time and why??

I am torn between Liverpool and Real Madrid tbh. Other than my hatred for them,with real i think us and them are the two most famous club in our respective league thus the desire wanting us to do better than them in all aspect is a mutual thing what more winning the biggest award in Europe just so by winning it we are a better team than them.:mf_tongue:

Liverpool...i would love to break their European record..their fans going on about the european record is a constant pain and i hope we can shut them up!

That said, weird how we still didnt get Real as an opponent so far.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Having watched the both of them last night, I'd say the other English clubs are our biggest European rivals.

We would have thrashed madrid with our first half Inter performance!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Domestically Liverpool are our fiercest rivals so now that more than 1 team per country is allowed in the European Cup they would also be our biggest rivals in Europe...if we played them.

Of the teams we have played I would say Roma. They must hate us for repeatedly beating them and hammering them 7-1. We hate them because of the trouble with their fans.

In terms of competing for most European Cups, now that we are on 3 the next target is to match Bayern Munich & Ajax's record of 4. After that it's Liverpool on 5, AC Milan on 7 and Real Madrid on 9.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In terms of competing for most European Cups, now that we are on 3 the next target is to match Bayern Munich & Ajax's record of 4. After that it's Liverpool on 5, AC Milan on 7 and Real Madrid on 9.

Now thats a very good point, something that didnt come across my mind when i start this. But still more reason for real to be our greatest rival...9 ffs...:frown:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
of all time milan. they always halt us in our traks! wen over in oz got up at some ungodly hr to watch 2nd leg of the semi in 07, shoulda stayed in bed:frown:

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I'd have to say Barca, just because we beat them in the knockout stages twice on our way to winning. Not to mention the Cup Winner's Cup final.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Real, with 9 wins, are definetly the side to beat, in terms of european performance.

If liverpoo keeps going like they are, their record is going down pretty soon.

IF you want a simple way to calculate it, go back to the 1st 5. 5 straight wins, no one has ever done anything like it. That's a record to beat

·
Banned
107 Posts
I'd have to say Barca, just because we beat them in the knockout stages twice on our way to winning. Not to mention the Cup Winner's Cup final.
yep barca are a lot mre dangerous than real. dnt think liverpool count as a rival tho ;S

i personally would like us to get lyon in the semis i think, juventus if possible.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
i say liverpool....they are doing quite well now.....if we do get them later on in the UCL it will be exciting.....it will be great......going on current form i think pool is the team to beat....we do edge them out on form though lmao...:p
then maybe real and barca and chelsea

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Firstly - Ourselves. We make things hard for ourselves. Take the Inter game for Example. Not much init for them , it was an easy taking for a win for us. We didnt find the finishing we needed to score 2-3 away goals which could have set us on the way. I really want us to progress furthest i Europe this season....

....coming to rivals

Barca - Although poor form in last 2 games they are the team to beat. Attacking prowess and style add to that Messi. Winning combo there. Messi - greatest player [thats coming from a united fan] .

Bayern Munich - The Dark Horses for the Champions League. Progressing quite un-noticed.

And the English clubs till we reach the Semis.

Looking forward to a night in Rome.

:)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
barca are the team to be feared and , they have more flair than anyone else in europe , eto and henry are starting to perform backed up by messi

·
Registered
734 Posts
Firstly - Ourselves. We make things hard for ourselves. Take the Inter game for Example. Not much init for them , it was an easy taking for a win for us. We didnt find the finishing we needed to score 2-3 away goals which could have set us on the way. I really want us to progress furthest i Europe this season....

....coming to rivals

Barca - Although poor form in last 2 games they are the team to beat. Attacking prowess and style add to that Messi. Winning combo there. Messi - greatest player [thats coming from a united fan] .

Bayern Munich - The Dark Horses for the Champions League. Progressing quite un-noticed.

And the English clubs till we reach the Semis.

Looking forward to a night in Rome.

:)
every thing you said is spot on, nobody is mentioning Bayern either have people forgotten 99 they will always want to destroy us after that, and they will cruise to the next round with the hammering they gave out midweek.
on the pitch Barca are the team to beat what a squad.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Real Madrid. Down the years in the Champions League, they have regularly had good measure of us and seem to be the one team we cant do over.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Barcelona are the best team (alongside us) in Europe at the minute. On current form, these should be the most 'feared'.

But Madrid are our biggest 'rivals', ever since the early days.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Real Madrid. Down the years in the Champions League, they have regularly had good measure of us and seem to be the one team we cant do over.
That and the fact they have won it 9 times makes them our biggest rivals.
Barca up there too. We have had many a battle with them in Europe.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
guys...stop thinking about this..i mean..we have to qualify first and after that we will think about the posible next opponent. But if you realy want an answer, firstly ourselves and afterwards Inter. We have to be realy careful now. realy. This tie is realy tricky. We will have to be at our best to get past it.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
We've played Milan 4 times over two legs and they've beaten us every time, though granted one of those was in '58.

But I do think they are our biggest rivals, mainly because they've neaten us the last 2 times, plus I want revenge for ruining my summer and I'd love nothing more than to see Heinze watching by the sidelines as Ryan Giggs lifts up his 3 European Cup.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
We've played Milan 4 times over two legs and they've beaten us every time, though granted one of those was in '58.

But I do think they are our biggest rivals, mainly because they've neaten us the last 2 times, plus I want revenge for ruining my summer and I'd love nothing more than to see Heinze watching by the sidelines as Ryan Giggs lifts up his 3 European Cup.
This, to me, is not about who has beaten who, it's simply about the numbers. The biggest fish in europe is Real Madrid. Granted, that was long ago, but it's unbeaten.

You guys want to be the best, right?? Then that's the goal to aim for. Overtake the biggest fish.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
This, to me, is not about who has beaten who, it's simply about the numbers. The biggest fish in europe is Real Madrid. Granted, that was long ago, but it's unbeaten.

You guys want to be the best, right?? Then that's the goal to aim for. Overtake the biggest fish.
Nottingham forest have more European Cups than Inter Milan, Arsenal and Chelsea put together, are they a 'bigger fish' than them?

Milan have a better pedigree in Europe than Madrid do. They've won it in the 60's, 80's, 90's and 00's, aswell as making a final in the 50's, not including the other 3 finals they've been in.

Just because you won 5 back-to-back CL's about a million years ago when European football was just getting started, therefore easier to win, doesn't make you the best IMO.

Milan have a better pedigree in the Champions League than Madrid do...

oh, we're just as 'big a fish' as the names Iive mentioned here btw...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts