Manchester United Talk banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I'm not sure what you're saying... I never doubted that Madrid have the best record, but to me football is so much more than 'just' sucess.

Some teams have class, they have a history to be proud of, which is just as important as winning 'x' anount of trophies.

Teams like Madrid, Juve and to an extent, Liverpool have elemts of there history tainted, which takes away from there overall status as a great club.

btw, Fergie agrees with me about the CL being easier to win in those days as there were only a few great teams back then, Madrid being one of them while we were about to get into that group.

Madrid can have those 2 more sucesses, but IMO the sheer arrogance of that club, with its tainted history takes away from there achievments, while Milan's class as a club improves there acheivements.

Football is much more than just about winning. Its how you play, how your club acts ect.

out of interest, who would you consider the top 5 greatest clubs in the world?

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
I'm not sure what you're saying... I never doubted that Madrid have the best record, but to me football is so much more than 'just' sucess.

Some teams have class, they have a history to be proud of, which is just as important as winning 'x' anount of trophies.

Teams like Madrid, Juve and to an extent, Liverpool have elemts of there history tainted, which takes away from there overall status as a great club.

btw, Fergie agrees with me about the CL being easier to win in those days as there were only a few great teams back then, Madrid being one of them while we were about to get into that group.

Madrid can have those 2 more sucesses, but IMO the sheer arrogance of that club, with its tainted history takes away from there achievments, while Milan's class as a club improves there acheivements.

Football is much more than just about winning. Its how you play, how your club acts ect.

out of interest, who would you consider the top 5 greatest clubs in the world?
Ok, unlike Spain and Portugal, Italy never had what we can call a club that represented the Fascist Regime. Spain and Real, Portugal had benfica, but Italy never really had one, therefore yes, I get the point of your "tainted" remark. I, however, cannot attribute that "arrogance" simply to the club, although I agree that had been Atletico in Spain, and Sporting in Portugal, history would be very different, but that's because of decisions made by the people with the political power, not the club. If you want to point out the arrogance that that history has given them, in the way the walk tall and proud, well, yeah, you have a point, but that just demeans what they've done inside the 4 lines. To ignore that fact doesn't do justice to the teams that played back then, even if it was a very different kind of football.

However, think about it for a second. A Champions League that has a club winning it that hasn't been his countrie's champions in close to 20 years, how fair is that...?

As for greatest clubs in the world, define great. If it's just a general greatness, that includes trophies, impact, size, fanbase, I'd go with something like this:

United
Real
Boca Juniors
Barça
Santos

I know little about south american football, so I'm unsure on where I'd put them, plus Flamengo and River Plate, the other 2 monsters (imo) of SA. But from europe, definetly those 3, plus AC. And Juve...
Damn, so many clubs, so little spots ;)

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Ok, unlike Spain and Portugal, Italy never had what we can call a club that represented the Fascist Regime. Spain and Real, Portugal had benfica, but Italy never really had one, therefore yes, I get the point of your "tainted" remark. I, however, cannot attribute that "arrogance" simply to the club, although I agree that had been Atletico in Spain, and Sporting in Portugal, history would be very different, but that's because of decisions made by the people with the political power, not the club. If you want to point out the arrogance that that history has given them, in the way the walk tall and proud, well, yeah, you have a point, but that just demeans what they've done inside the 4 lines. To ignore that fact doesn't do justice to the teams that played back then, even if it was a very different kind of football.

However, think about it for a second. A Champions League that has a club winning it that hasn't been his countrie's champions in close to 20 years, how fair is that...?

As for greatest clubs in the world, define great. If it's just a general greatness, that includes trophies, impact, size, fanbase, I'd go with something like this:

United
Real
Boca Juniors
Barça
Santos

I know little about south american football, so I'm unsure on where I'd put them, plus Flamengo and River Plate, the other 2 monsters (imo) of SA. But from europe, definetly those 3, plus AC. And Juve...
Damn, so many clubs, so little spots ;)

I think the way they publically tap up every single player they want screams of arrogance, and its there on all levels from the president, to ex players, to current players.

Your list is interesting. I think most people underestimate Boca Juniors. Thery have the 2nd most international honours, have had some of the best ever players play for them and they have won tons of domestic trophies.

For what its worth these are the things I look for in great club:

1. Overall success.

2. Recent sucess.

3. Global fan base.

4. Your clubs philosiphies i.e attacking football and putting time into your youth (both of which we are high on)

5. Great players and managers that have been at your club.

6. Class, i.e the way in which your club conducts inself.

7. Moments in history that have helped shape your club.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
I think the way they publically tap up every single player they want screams of arrogance, and its there on all levels from the president, to ex players, to current players.

Your list is interesting. I think most people underestimate Boca Juniors. Thery have the 2nd most international honours, have had some of the best ever players play for them and they have won tons of domestic trophies.

For what its worth these are the things I look for in great club:

1. Overall success.

2. Recent sucess.

3. Global fan base.

4. Your clubs philosiphies i.e attacking football and putting time into your youth (both of which we are high on)

5. Great players and managers that have been at your club.

6. Class, i.e the way in which your club conducts inself.

7. Moments in history that have helped shape your club.
there's so many...

If it was 10, I'd include the previous 5, plus those other 4 mentioned, and Ajax.

So, in no special order, expect for the top one ;) :
Manchester United
Barcelona
Real Madrid
AC Milan
Juventus
Ajax
Flamengo
Santos
River Plate
Boca Juniors

41 - 45 of 45 Posts