Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson will sit down with Ben Foster to decide whether to send the young goalkeeper out on loan.

Foster performed heroics against Derby last weekend but made way for Tomasz Kuszczak against Bolton on Wednesday night.

Ferguson said the reason he had recalled Kuszczak after a suspension was because the Polish keeper is eligible for the upcoming Champions League games and Foster is not. That could prove crucial with Edwin van der Sar nursing a groin injury.

The United manager said: "The reason he did not play is quite simply this: Ben is not registered for Europe.

"He could have felt he was entitled to play, and expected to play, but that would have meant it was a blow for Tomasz Kuszczak so really we had to bring Tomasz in because of the European situation.

"But we have to make a decision about whether Ben should go on loan now. Edwin's had this groin injury two or three times this season so we could end up a little short.
"I'm going to sit down with Ben and discuss it with him."

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
i think foster needs to be bought in next season as the number one . for a keeper van der saar is very injury prone and his old bones wont cope much longer at top level and despite pig having a good game wednesday i dont want him as number 1

·
23,699 Posts
akash_reds said:
we can send him out on loan...no problem.....but it depends on VDS's injury.....
Have to disagree, whether VDS is injured or not.

VDS is 'about there' already, maybe 1 more season of solid display before going downhill inevitably. In fact, to be honest, boo-boo already occuring once a while now.

Kuszczak does not instill any confidence nor look any part like a No. 1 keeper to be. Not for United definitely. I did try to imagine it on a few occasions but always ended with a shudder and broke out in cold sweat.

Sending out Foster on loan is deemed risky with no chance of recalling him until end of loan tenure. Would much prefer him to understudy VDS instead of Kuszczak. I mean, the latter has had his chances for a long while already, isn't it? And he is still getting nowhere nearer...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I want Foster to play and to be fair he needs a big game to prepare him really.
I believe he wil opt with Kuz though because of his experience.

Argh posted in the wrong part/
I dont think we should loan him out because he should play a couple of games, if we were to loan him he would only be there for about .. 6/7 games would be pointless.

·
23,699 Posts
Sir Alex Ferguson blocks Ben Foster's loan bid

Source: The Mirror

Ben Foster's bid to go out on loan to the Championship has been blocked by Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson. The once-capped England keeper asked if he could drop down a level and sign on loan for the rest of the season, but Fergie has refused despite Edwin van der Sar and Tomasz Kuzszack being fit. Foster had been given the go-ahead to leave before making a shock debut at Derby County but now Fergie has told him to wait for his chance.

Good news for us but bad news for Foster (who obviously wanted some games)?

Or is he about to be Fergie's No. 2? [:D :D ;) ]

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Papers: Foster stays put

From ManUtd.com

Foster Bid Blocked

Ben Foster's bid to go out on loan to the Championship has been blocked by Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson. The once-capped England keeper asked if he could drop down a level and sign on loan for the rest of the season, but Fergie has refused despite Edwin van der Sar and Tomasz Kuzszack being fit. Foster had been given the go-ahead to leave before making a shock debut at Derby County but now Fergie has told him to wait for his chance.
Staff reporter, Daily Mirror

In other loan news, The Times claims Sir Alex Ferguson has told Hull City to forget about trying to sign 13-goal striker Fraizer Campbell permanently, insisting that he has a future at United.

Meanwhile, widespread coverage is handed to Gary Neville's interview with Manchester United Radio, in which the club captain admits he faces a battle to break back into the Reds' senior team at such an important stage of the season.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was thinking about this the other day and this is what I came up with:

Next season, 2008/09, Ben goes out on loan. Edwin is our No.1, with Kuszczak as number 2.

The season after next, 2009/10, Ben comes back to us. By this time Edwin has either retired, or he is not able to play every game etc. This could then be perfect for Ben to come back in and challenge for and eventually become No.1.

By 2010/11, VDS will definatly be gone and then we will have Foster as Number 1, and Kuszczak as Number 2 :cool:

I think the plan was originally for Ben to challenge Edwin for No.1 this season but due to his injury this was not an option. I would be in no great rush though. Edwin has got at least one good season left in him in my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts