Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jonny Evans has opened the door for Sunderland to make a summer move for his signature.
The centre-back admits he would be interested in a permanent transfer to the Stadium of Light if Manchester United decide to let him go.

Evans does not desire to leave United – his boyhood idols – a fact he has always made clear. But should the path to progress at Old Trafford be blocked by Sir Alex Ferguson, the 20-year-old would love the opportunity to discuss his future with Roy Keane.

The Northern Ireland international, who featured in his country's 4-1 friendly win against Georgia in Belfast last night, said: "I'm really enjoying playing a full part in Sunderland's season.

"Sometimes it seems a bit unreal that I'm back at Sunderland. It didn't look like it was going to happen when the gaffer (Keane) asked the question early in the season and United wanted me there. But it's great to be playing and testing myself in Premier League games and it's something I want a lot more of.

"United is the club I support and to have the chance to make it there is still a great opportunity that no player surrenders easily. But if I was ever going to leave Man United, Sunderland would definitely be an option for me – if they want me."

Evans grew up admiring Keane the player and was blown away to have the chance to train alongside the Old Trafford legend before being offered the chance, twice, to play under the Irishman on Wearside.

"When Roy Keane says he wants you, it's a massive compliment," said Evans.

"If he wanted to make this
move permanent, it's something I would want to talk about. Playing in the Premier League in games that matter is what it's all about and what I want to be doing for a few years to come.

"But nothing's been said at all by Sunderland or Man United about anything beyond this season. Everything's very similar to the situation when I was here last season.

"The most important thing at the moment is that we get results and no-one is looking beyond our next game."

Sunderland host West Ham on Saturday, looking to build on last week's first away win of the season at Aston Villa.

So far, Sir Alex has offered little encouragement to any club that may have ambitions to sign Evans and the best that may be hoped for next season may be another loan. The defender made three United appearances early in the season before falling out of the picture and joining Sunderland on loan in January.

Source: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/...-to.3919566.jp

1 - 3 of 3 Posts