Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is there such a big fuss from some members on this forum about calling the club Man U? I understand he may think it could be used in insulting ways - much the same with most words - but surely everybody or almost everybody on this forum will know that Man U means Manchester United? Why is there such a big fuss over this? Let me know, because I know it's a big club so it's a big thing when it comes to the name but i find it intriguing that some people make such a big deal out of it.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Im pretty sure there is a thread on this somewhere, i'll try find it has it has the full answer to your question.

For now though i'll show you this (its from a different forum iv used)

People , without knowledge of the extent of the term ofcourse, are calling us "Man U". Its a term used by rival fans to insult the dead of Munich and is directed to us as a wind up. Now most of our fans that use the term dont even know what it stands for. Its not a nickname to our club, its not a short term for Manchester United.

It has started with Duncan Edwards.

duncan edwards is manure,rotting in his grave
MAN YOU are manure-rotting in your grave

You see, the term was never a nickname to our club, its always been an utter insult. The term is offensive and it will not be allowed to be used on this forum.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
I better shut up, will I ? I`ve got enough of stick before when i told someone not to call us Man U. Its ****in disgusting.
But people may do as they like if they think they`re brave by usin that term.

Manchester United - ManUtd > ManfckinU

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Im pretty sure there is a thread on this somewhere, i'll try find it has it has the full answer to your question.

I've never used the term and I knew United fans didn't like the name, but I never really knew why..
It was good that it was explained anyway..:)

S

·
0 Posts
FFS not again, round and round we go.
Try using the search function this forum has.:rolleyes:

·
43,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

ok that's on another forum however, many people use it to describe manchester United, not as an insult but because many think it stands for Manchester United and SURELY everybody on this forum should assume that when they say it, it stands for Manchester United? why would any Man United fans want to insult it - and I doubt non fans on this forum would want to join just to insult them, if they did you could tell by other things they say not just from the phrase "Man U" also the U is a capital to represent a NAME so United is a NAME part of the NAME Manchester United? See where I'm going?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
ok that's on another forum however, many people use it to describe manchester United, not as an insult but because many think it stands for Manchester United and SURELY everybody on this forum should assume that when they say it, it stands for Manchester United? why would any Man United fans want to insult it - and I doubt non fans on this forum would want to join just to insult them, if they did you could tell by other things they say not just from the phrase "Man U" also the U is a capital to represent a NAME so United is a NAME part of the NAME Manchester United? See where I'm going?
Yeah i understand what you're saying, and i know that more or less everyone on this forum that use's it isn't meaning it to be offensive.

I do wish that big companies like Sky and BBC didn't use it though.

S

·
0 Posts
No, on this forum.
Here's just one thread, 80 replies.
http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-chat/3663-dont-call-us-man-u-please.html

·
43,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i understand what you're saying, and i know that more or less everyone on this forum that use's it isn't meaning it to be offensive.

I do wish that big companies like Sky and BBC didn't use it though.
Well I don't see why, Big Companies could never mean it in an offensive way in this very Politically Correct world there's no way they'd get away with being intentionally offensive

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Well I don't see why, Big Companies could never mean it in an offensive way in this very Politically Correct world there's no way they'd get away with being intentionally offensive
They don`t do it for an offensive reason, but the meaning is still there. I am sure they know the story behind ManU. I`ve always stated, is it a big deal to write MUtd instead of ManU ? For our own bloody sake.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
It's not a rule though as far as I understand on this Forum.
So there has to be a rule for you to not do something. As far as I know, it is positively not against a rule for you to grab your computer and hop in the bath when you respond to this post. :whistling:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Big Companies could never mean it in an offensive way in this very Politically Correct world there's no way they'd get away with being intentionally offensive
Very true, but in this very PC world, wouldn't they attempt to hide all possibilities of being misinterpreted? Of course it's understandable they don't have room to type our a full name or something but there are alternatives: MUFC, MUTD, etc.

<edit>

Sorry Roxii, didn't see your post above basically saying the same :p

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Not this tired debate again!

The trouble is that over half the people on this forum refer to Chelsea as 'Chelski', Liverpool as 'Liverpoo' or whatever else, and Arsenal as 'L'Arse'. If we want to be called correctly, then we can't have double standards.

I'm not too fussed over the term. I don't think many people mean it cynically.

·
43,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Use Man U then if you want to, no-one's stopping you. **** me.
I never said it was but I hate it when people make such a big deal out of a typing hait or a phrase that's used with perfectly good intentions - int the context that it stands for Manchester United surely almost everyone on the forum can understand that so I don't see why people bite my or anybody's head off when they type Man U - I'm not a scouser trying to make fun if I was I wouldn't be on here - that's why I use it, it's just a habit when typing or when talking really, I'm sorry if it offends people but like you said it isn't a rule so I won't stop it just pains me when people get so worked up

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Not this tired debate again!

The trouble is that over half the people on this forum refer to Chelsea as 'Chelski', Liverpool as 'Liverpoo' or whatever else, and Arsenal as 'L'Arse'. If we want to be called correctly, then we can't have double standards.

I'm not too fussed over the term. I don't think many people mean it cynically.
Thats just a 'typo' :D

1 - 20 of 115 Posts