Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/man-utd-fc/2008/05/20/man-utd-to-unveil-statue-of-best-law-and-charlton-the-holy-trinity-55578-20934194/

MANCHESTER United will unveil a statue in honour of their original 'Holy Trinity' on the 40th anniversary of the Red Devils' historic first European Cup win.

The idea of an image incorporating George Best, Denis Law and Sir Bobby Charlton close to Old Trafford emerged following Best's death two-and-a-half years ago.

And the statue, created by award-winning sculptor Philip Jackson, will be officially be presented to the public on May 29, exactly 40 years after Best and Charlton scored for United in their win over Benfica at Wembley.

Although Law was injured and not involved on that famous night, his amazing goalscoring record for United more than made up for that unhappy experience.

“This is a fitting way to celebrate one of the greatest achievements in the club's history,†said chief executive David Gill.“We are honouring three European Footballers of the Year who were part of the same team.â€

- Took them a while, but at least it's happening. A fitting tribute to three great heroes and a reminder of the wonderful history we have and culture of producing players, who make people dream and played beautiful football.

Who could Chelsea unveil? Gianfranco Zola in 45 years?!? Pfft.....

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I remember hearing about the statue ages ago. I'd forgotten about it tbh :eek:

A fitting tribute to 3 of the best players to ever grace Old Trafford.

Z

·
0 Posts
Let's hope we can have another one in the future for our current 'holy trinity' ;)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Shouldnt The Genius be out there on the pedestal too? Two Champions League titles, one cup winners cup, 10 Premier League titles and lots of domestic cups. And also the title in Tokyo which I think is more of curiosity then of real matter.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
spellbound said:
Shouldnt The Genius be out there on the pedestal too? Two Champions League titles, one cup winners cup, 10 Premier League titles and lots of domestic cups. And also the title in Tokyo which I think is more of curiosity then of real matter.
he will be. he will be appreciated much better when his playing days are over.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
yangch0000 said:
he will be. he will be appreciated much better when his playing days are over.
But wouldnt it be cool if SAF got his statue already now. Why waiting till he's gone?

Giggsy will get his statue later on as well.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
I would love it if a statue is erected of Fergie next to Sir Matt.

Two of the greatest Manchester United managers of all time together in unity looking down on the matchgoers each week.

Will be done when he dies though I think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts