Banned
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United vs Arsenal

Date: Sunday 17th September 2006

Kick Off:
4 PM GMT, 20:30 IST

Live On:
Sky Sports 1, ESPN (Asian + Indian Regions)

What a great start to the Premiership for the Red Devils a, after beating Fulham, Charlton, Watford, and Tottenham, you have to wonder, can we keep this great run going? Arsenal travel to Old Trafford on Sunday, with no Premiership win in 3 games, and they have also have a few injury concerns, which might help us beat them, although it won't be an easy ride.

With Roy Keane gone from Manchester United, and Vieria gone from Arsenal, it could be a quiet afternoon, although that is never the case when these two teams clash together. Manchester United will be without Ryan Giggs, and Park, although there are replacements, such as skillful Ronaldo, Scholes, and Carrick, even Richardson could play some part after his awful display against Tottenham. Wayne Rooney and Saha will probably start up front, and will want to score goals to ensure another Premiership victory, to keep themselves above the rest. I can't wait for this one, although I'm a bit nervous, as I will have eyes on the Chelsea vs Liverpool match. I want Liverpool to either beat Chelsea or draw with them. Anyway, it proves to be a Grand Slam Sunday, where we hopefully will be celebrating.

PREDICTION: Manchester United 1-0 Arsenal

MATCHDAY ENCOUNTERS (LAST 6 PREMIERSHIP MEETINGS)

2003/2004 Season: Manchester United 0-0 Arsenal
2003/2004 Season: Arsenal 1-1 Manchester United
2004/2005 Season: Manchester United 2-0 Arsenal
2004/2005 Season: Arsenal 2-4 Manchester United
2005/2006 Season: Arsenal 0-0 Manchester United
2005/2006 Season: Manchester United 2-0 Arsenal

MATCHDAY FACT: The last time Manchester United thrashed Arsenal, was in the 2000/2001 Season, where Dwight Yorke scored a hat trick in Manchester Uniteds 6-1 win!

·
Registered
505 Posts
This will be a tough cookie, Rooney, Scholes and Ronnie are back though so I hope for a 2-1 win.

Ronaldo and Saha with the goals. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Update: Vidic and Smudger on the bench. Henry and van Persie may miss out due to injury, but Kolo Toure shrugs off his midweek UCL niggles and is match-fit.
========================

ADDITIONAL MATCH FACTS:

MANCHESTER UNITED and old adversaries Arsenal face up to each other at Old Trafford in their 199th competitive meeting and 175th in the League. The all-conquering Red Devils have made their best ever start to a Premiership season, while the Gunners have made their worst.

The eight times former Premiership champions are coming off a midweek odd goal in five victory over Celtic in the Champions League. They've not won five League games from the outset of the season since reeling off 10 successive victories in 1985, when Arsenal were beaten 2-1 at Old Trafford in the third match of that sequence.

United hold an eight match unbeaten Premiership string against the Gunners of four wins and four draws.

ARSENAL go to the Theatre of Dreams eager not to lose a 50th League match on enemy territory. The managers stand all square in their 31-match head-to-head standings at 11 wins a piece with nine draws. But of those drawn encounters, United won the 2003 Community Shield on penalties, and Arsenal the 2005 FA Cup final on penalties.

Like United, the Londoners were victorious in their midweek Champions League match (1-2 at Hamburg). They have never failed to win at least one of the first four matches in the Premiership era, and go back 24 years since last failing to win any of their opening quartet of League fixtures.

The Gunners have failed to score in five of the last six meetings with United in all competitions, including both last season's Premiership meetings. They last beat the Red Devils in the Premiership 0-1 at Old Trafford on 8 May 2002, when Sylvain Wiltord got the winner.

L

·
0 Posts
ARSEnal game

I think Fergie is the 2nd best mamager we have had since Sir Matt...but what was he doing taking Scholes off and leaving FLETCHER on?????? He may well be a clansman, but he is NO WAY good enough for us!!! Scholes should have been left on and Fletcher substituted for Carrick. I think that would have been a stronger midfield pressing forward for us. Carrick can defend and hold the ball well, and with the likes of Evra and O'Shea about, he has the perfect foils going either forward or back. He has the speed and can cross a ball which we were lacking today with no GIGGS ( sorry...my HERO) Hope Ryan gets fit again soon..he is a MASSIVE miss for us

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.