Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all , im from glasgow big utd fan and also celtic season book holder , cant wait for big nite in champions league . coming down for game with my father , who is a massive man u fan. doesnt support any other team . do you think we will be made welcome after all that happend with rankers in uefa cup . if u all could give me some feed back that would be great thanks alfie:D :rolleyes: :eek: :cool:

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I wouldn't worry.

We didn't see it as Glaswegians trashing Manchester - it was Rangers fans. It's a good thing they lost the UEFA Cup Final or there could have been some trouble during the Super Cup.

The atmosphere will be electric at Old Trafford for our game against you and I'm sure it will be the same at Celtic Park.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I always look forward to playing Celtic. Like reddwarf said I don't think United fans will hold a grudge against Celtic fans because they had nothing to do with what happened back in May.

Hope you enjoy your day out in Manchester and the game is a good one like it was two years ago.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, as a Scotsman, I hope their isn't any trouble, because it was the scum of Scotland who trashed Manchester.

I don't really expect any trouble though, and it'll be two good games.

As long as United win, because everyone in my house will be supporting Celtic :rolleyes:

PS - We don't get called "Man U" :rolleyes:

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
rangers fans are to blame. we will welcome celtic for a true "battle of britain" encounter that will be electrifying

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
jd_united said:
I always look forward to playing Celtic. Like reddwarf said I don't think United fans will hold a grudge against Celtic fans because they had nothing to do with what happened back in May.

Hope you enjoy your day out in Manchester and the game is a good one like it was two years ago.
What do you mean always? Didn't we play them competitively for the first time just 2 seasons ago? :rolleyes: I'm not trying to suggest you aren't looking forward to it, but you make it sound like you've enjoyed these fixtures for years when they haven't occured before!

As for the main question, celtic fans will receive little to no abuse from united! The celtic, manchester united relationship is good as far as im' aware.
I'm definately looking forward to the game!

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I don't know why so many fans get so cut up about being called man u. Doesn't bother me in the slightest actually.

Usually refer to use as united personally.

·
Registered
366 Posts
manutd004 said:
Well, as a Scotsman, I hope their isn't any trouble, because it was the scum of Scotland who trashed Manchester.

I don't really expect any trouble though, and it'll be two good games.

As long as United win, because everyone in my house will be supporting Celtic :rolleyes:

PS - We don't get called "Man U" :rolleyes:
Of course there wont be any trouble . United supporters are used to much much bigger clubs coming to Old Trafford . Its not that big of a tie imo , I think we'll walk all over them . For years mostly Rangers and the odd few Celtic supporters have had this major chip on their shoulders about coming down to play Premier league sides .
Every dog in the street knows that both of these teams would be mid table no bodies if they had to play in the Premiership full time .
Sorry if seems if I'm belittling Celtic and Rangers but I've really no time for the Scottish leagues . It must be groundhog day playing up there .

·
Registered
199 Posts
Anyone any ideas how I can get a ticket to the away leg of this tie? Glasgow is just an hour away from me so it'd be ideal.
I've been there in the Celtic end before a few times anyway, mostly to keep my mate company, so I wouldn't worry about being in the celtic end. But it'd be a bit dodgy this time because I'd be wanting to cheer for united!
Anyone know where I'd be able to get a ticket for the United end?

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
dublin red said:
Of course there wont be any trouble . United supporters are used to much much bigger clubs coming to Old Trafford . Its not that big of a tie imo , I think we'll walk all over them . For years mostly Rangers and the odd few Celtic supporters have had this major chip on their shoulders about coming down to play Premier league sides .
Every dog in the street knows that both of these teams would be mid table no bodies if they had to play in the Premiership full time .
Sorry if seems if I'm belittling Celtic and Rangers but I've really no time for the Scottish leagues . It must be groundhog day playing up there .
I can see what your saying.

In terms of size, certainly Celtic are a big club. Rangers are probably no bigger than a club like Newcastle, who think they are a big club but there not as big as they think.

However, they can't compete with Premiership clubs, as the Scottish league doesn't get the amount of finance the Premiership do.

Thats the reason they wouldn't be able to compete consistently.

·
Registered
366 Posts
manutd004 said:
I can see what your saying.

In terms of size, certainly Celtic are a big club. Rangers are probably no bigger than a club like Newcastle, who think they are a big club but there not as big as they think.

However, they can't compete with Premiership clubs, as the Scottish league doesn't get the amount of finance the Premiership do.

Thats the reason they wouldn't be able to compete consistently.
I agree with you about the tv money and sponsorship money the premier league gets in comparison to the Scottish league. But lets face it Celtic and Rangers have a monopoly on winning the league between them .
The support for both of those sides in particular is unbelievable . Every home game is more or less sold out so where the hell is all the money going .
I think the the best paid player at Celtic is on around 30,000 a week . Thats not to be sniffed at but lets face it championship sides pay that sort of money and more .

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
dublin red said:
I agree with you about the tv money and sponsorship money the premier league gets in comparison to the Scottish league. But lets face it Celtic and Rangers have a monopoly on winning the league between them .
The support for both of those sides in particular is unbelievable . Every home game is more or less sold out so where the hell is all the money going .
I think the the best paid player at Celtic is on around 30,000 a week . Thats not to be sniffed at but lets face it championship sides pay that sort of money and more .
Good points.

Well, Rangers are in massive debt, so thats where most of there money goes. :p

Celtic used to be in debt but have came out of it, but they are reluctant to spend unnecessary money. I say unnecessary because they're not going to win the Champions League even if they spend a lot of money, and they could probably win the UEFA Cup if they play well and use the right tactics, although even winning the UEFA cup would be a great acheivement.

But domestically, they don't need to spend that much. Rangers and Celtic only have each other to beat. So they don't need to spend that much money to win the League. So why spend money you don't need too?

Of course, being Scottish, I would love to see someone else challenging for the title (preferably Hibs ;)) but sadly, its not going to happen because of the massive gap between the two groups (Old Firm and non-Old Firm).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cheers guys, hope it turns out to be a good game looking forward to it . ps luv man utd and the hoops hope they both qualify

·
Registered
366 Posts
manutd004 said:
Good points.

Well, Rangers are in massive debt, so thats where most of there money goes. :p

Celtic used to be in debt but have came out of it, but they are reluctant to spend unnecessary money. I say unnecessary because they're not going to win the Champions League even if they spend a lot of money, and they could probably win the UEFA Cup if they play well and use the right tactics, although even winning the UEFA cup would be a great acheivement.

But domestically, they don't need to spend that much. Rangers and Celtic only have each other to beat. So they don't need to spend that much money to win the League. So why spend money you don't need too?

Of course, being Scottish, I would love to see someone else challenging for the title (preferably Hibs ;)) but sadly, its not going to happen because of the massive gap between the two groups (Old Firm and non-Old Firm).
its all too true buddy . The bottom line these days is profit margins and in alot of cases just staying in business is a struggle.
Only because I know first hand how LOYAL and die hard the English are about their sides I would be sceptical about the money continuing to flow into the premiership .

Here in Ireland we have the beauty of being in alot of cases able to pick the side you support . In the majority of cases in England its mostly about the town or county you live in . I know loads of people outside of Manchester support United thats their choice of course .
I say in most situations you get to pick your team here in Ireland because I have 2 younger brothers and when they showed an interest in football I made them both sit down and watch my video on the history of Man Utd . Not to mention my gentle threat that if they went on to support anyone else then they lost the right to call me their brother . Well both are as passionate as me about United so something worked .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts