Manchester United Talk banner

4061 - 4080 of 4100 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I can remember when the Stretford End was 'the' terrace that used to put the fear of God into opposition teams. The noise generated was compared to a jumbo jet taking off . Wouldn't it be great to have it back?

·
Since 1976
2,233 Posts
I can remember when the Stretford End was 'the' terrace that used to put the fear of God into opposition teams. The noise generated was compared to a jumbo jet taking off . Wouldn't it be great to have it back?
Were you there when Maradona & Co rolled into town. The Stretty sucked the ball in 3 Times for an amazing comeback win. ROBBO was the hero. I've mentioned that night in previous posts but it still puts a chill up my spine for pure atmosphere.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Were you there when Maradona & Co rolled into town. The Stretty sucked the ball in 3 Times for an amazing comeback win. ROBBO was the hero. I've mentioned that night in previous posts but it still puts a chill up my spine for pure atmosphere.
Even further back mate. 76, we were newly promoted playing Sheffield Utd. I think? Tony currie was their star and meant to be the next big hope. We destroyed them 5-1 and it could have been 10-1. The strettie did the ground work that day. Best 50 p I ever spent!

·
Since 1976
2,233 Posts
Even further back mate. 76, we were newly promoted playing Sheffield Utd. I think? Tony currie was their star and meant to be the next big hope. We destroyed them 5-1 and it could have been 10-1. The strettie did the ground work that day. Best 50 p I ever spent!
Steady EC mate how old do you think I am :) 1976 was the first time I watched a game of football I was 5 and it was the Cup Final v Southampton...there's me a little kid wide eyed and saying to Dad I want the Red Team. I have never looked back following a club just like that from then on, as you no doubt, through thick and thin. Recent criticism of us being derailed and a few years in the wilderness, well I've heard it all before. United we are UNITED we stand. PS 50p !!! halcyon days.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
PVAD8,
Now that I think of it I think it was the Autumn of 75, I was 14! Remember that cup final well too, hated the Saints for decades after it! Loved that team, Stepney, Buchan, McIlroy, Daly, Coppell, Hill and Pancho Pearson of course.Should have won the double that year (76)

·
Since 1976
2,233 Posts
PVAD8,
Now that I think of it I think it was the Autumn of 75, I was 14! Remember that cup final well too, hated the Saints for decades after it! Loved that team, Stepney, Buchan, McIlroy, Daly, Coppell, Hill and Pancho Pearson of course.Should have won the double that year (76)
Great names EC was Brian Greenhoff playing at that time? I know Jimmy joined later. Gordon Hill on one side Stevie Coppell on the other our wing play was a joy to watch then mate. Remember big Jim Holton 6ft 2 eyes of blue big Jim Holton is after you!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Brian was there in 75, I think elder brother Jimmy came later from Stoke? Jimmy had the knack of scoring big goals, I remember going crazy listening to a cup semi against the scouse when he scored the winner.78 I believe. Big Jim was terrible unlucky with injury .He was a good one.
The wing play of Coppell & Hill was a breath of fresh air to football in that 75/76 season, dull, efficient, safety first teams were predominant .The early cross to the near post was one of Tommy Docs favourite ploys , one that caught a lot of sides out.
Good memories .

·
Since 1976
2,233 Posts
Brian was there in 75, I think elder brother Jimmy came later from Stoke? Jimmy had the knack of scoring big goals, I remember going crazy listening to a cup semi against the scouse when he scored the winner.78 I believe. Big Jim was terrible unlucky with injury .He was a good one.
The wing play of Coppell & Hill was a breath of fresh air to football in that 75/76 season, dull, efficient, safety first teams were predominant .The early cross to the near post was one of Tommy Docs favourite ploys , one that caught a lot of sides out.
Good memories .
Indeed classic memories...The DOC was willing to give youth a chance correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we have one of the youngest sides around. The flair play at OT was magical. I believe @SALFORD RED has posted videos of that era to enjoy.

4061 - 4080 of 4100 Posts