Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Smith has also been left out the squad, so barring eleventh hour withdrawals he won't be getting his hoped for spot on the bench. Bit of a mistake in my book as the important/tricky games are coming thick and fast now - and in all probability the injuries will follow in kind - and it will be increasingly hard to find dead minutes to let him get back to match speed. Moreover it would be nice to have a genuine striking option on the bench, even if it is semi-fit at best.

· Registered
21 Posts
Well my fears are being realised. Right now if I had to stake my life one way or t’other I’d readily put it on us ending this season without a meaningful pot yet again.

We’ve got away with it thus far, but we’ve been displaying the exact same chronic flaws that have crippled us in recent times. there is no way you can get through an entire EPL campaign like this without getting burned, and the total lack of a margin of error in cup football means we’ll require an inordinate amount of luck/profligate finishing from our opponents.

Manuxtreme said:
Its a good sign cause we didnt deserve all three points in this one but we managed to get all three.
That truism is only applicable when talking about the inevitable bad days in the office teams will have every now and then. It doesn’t apply to problems caused by long term chronic flaws in the team. It isn’t a good thing to be winning despite them because inevitably you will fail enough to get away with it enough times to render such successes meaningless. Relief is the only appropriate emotion; the only good time will be when we finally rectify the issue.

Manuxtreme said:
Makes it even more impressive since we got Rooney, Scholes, Heinze and Vidic to come into the team.
Not much of a bonus when they’ve all been part of the problem. They haven't solved it over the past two years so why should they now? Okay, Vidic is fresh enough to potentially make a difference, but his game creates new problems in our unbalanced squad. I see little changing in the near future unless someone on the backroom staff finally gets some basic concepts through Fergie's thick skull.

Manuxtreme said:
Well the team is doing well, wining 4 from 4 which I believe is our best start since 21 years.
Yep, and remember what happened after going through the first quarter of the season 100%? We crashed big time as injuries took their toll and Hughes fell apart while sitting on the knowledge of his sale to Barcelona. We always knew our run was papering over the cracks and once our traditional injury crisis bit we’d be stuffed. Read the same with this run. We are getting points, but performances are lamentable and I can guarantee that if things don’t change we’ll be ending the season watching others celebrate.

On the bright side that great run was followed twelve months later with the removal of the manager. Back then it was an horrendous decision, but a repeat of the pattern this time around would be most welcome :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.