Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://manunitedyouth.wordpress.com/2009/02/03/italian-duo-added-to-reds-champions-league-squad/

Italian duo added to Reds' Champions League squad

Sir Alex Ferguson has added Federico Macheda and Davide Petrucci to United's Champions League squad for the rest of the season.

The end of the January transfer window also sees clubs in Europe given the opportunity to make three changes to their registered UEFA ‘A' list. Owen Hargreaves and Manucho were originally registered on that list back in September, but with the former ruled out for the season through injury and the latter spending the rest of the campaign on loan at Hull City, two spots have been freed up.

Those spots have been filled by Macheda and Petrucci. The 17 year-olds - so impressive in tandem recently at reserve and academy level - are the obvious choices, given their ineligibility for the ‘B' list due to having not been registered with the club for two years. Macheda is already in possession of shirt number 41, and Petrucci has now been handed the number 43 shirt.

The full registered squad list now reads as follows:

Goalkeepers
1 Edwin van der Sar
12 Ben Foster
29 Tomasz Kuszczak
40 Ben Amos *

Defenders
2 Gary Neville
3 Patrice Evra
5 Rio Ferdinand
6 Wes Brown
15 Nemanja Vidić
20 Fábio
21 Rafael
22 John O'Shea
23 Jonny Evans *
39 James Chester *
42 Richard Eckersley *

Midfielders
8 Anderson
11 Ryan Giggs
13 Ji-Sung Park
16 Michael Carrick
17 Nani
18 Paul Scholes
19 Daniel Welbeck *
24 Darren Fletcher
28 Darron Gibson *
34 Rodrigo Possebon
43 Davide Petrucci

Forwards
7 Cristiano Ronaldo
9 Dimitar Berbatov
10 Wayne Rooney
32 Carlos Tévez
41 Federico Macheda

* = Player list B

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
No surprises apart from the two Italians.

I can't really see them getting much game time tbh, but being in the squad will be a massive boost and a great experience for them.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Keano! said:
Welbeck registered as a midfielder?? :confused:

I'd love it if Macheda got a game!! :D:D:D
ya weird :confused: when ronaldo is registered as a forward :confused:

also i thought peturicci was a striker?:confused:

hope both macheda and peturci get a game :) don't think they will unless were cruising against some team and have the tie won in the 1st leg

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
cantos red army said:
ya weird :confused: when ronaldo is registered as a forward :confused:

also i thought peturicci was a striker?:confused:

hope both macheda and peturci get a game :) don't think they will unless were cruising against some team and have the tie won in the 1st leg

Yea...

Haven't really seen much of Petrucci, but I REALLY want Macheda to get a run out...

...ya never know. CL final, few injuries, goes to pens, he comes on scores the winner!! :D:D:D

*deep breaths* Getting carried away now... lol

Edit:

Yea, Toisc's ineligible to the best of my knowledge

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
They won't see a minute of time. Last year Welbeck was on the bench for a couple games, I think Cathcart was too.

Should do their confidence wonders though.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Keano! said:
Yea...

Haven't really seen much of Petrucci, but I REALLY want Macheda to get a run out...

...ya never know. CL final, few injuries, goes to pens, he comes on scores the winner!! :D:D:D

*deep breaths* Getting carried away now... lol

Edit:

Yea, Toisc's ineligible to the best of my knowledge
ya just abit carried away :p wouldn't see a storyline like that in fairly cshity never mind in football :p would be epic though :D

ya because he defiantly either played in the qualifying rounds of the champions league or else the uefa cup not sure witch but both make him ineligible that's why i would have liked Valencia to sign

·
Registered
107 Posts
A little off-topic. But since the players are mentioned here, what do Man Utd fans have to say about being called pirates in regards to Federico Macheda and Davide Petrucci?

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Neither will play there just emergancy Ive seen both play and Petrucci impresses me .

Macheda whilst a goal scorer is no better than a Campbell so wouldnt make a big difference in terms of ability.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Danny Wel beck was registered as a midfielder for the first phase of the competition too.

Davide Petrucci plays as an attacking midfielder , or if you insist a deep-lying strikers....we seem to have several of these at United ;)

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
red dave said:
Neither will play there just emergancy Ive seen both play and Petrucci impresses me .

Macheda whilst a goal scorer is no better than a Campbell so wouldnt make a big difference in terms of ability.
Macheda is more impressive than Campbell was at the same age.

He's big, strong, quick, skilfull and is an excellent finisher.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
zZ[-_-]Zz said:
A little off-topic. But since the players are mentioned here, what do Man Utd fans have to say about being called pirates in regards to Federico Macheda and Davide Petrucci?
call us what you like we dont care we own them there playing for us and not for the teams of whoever is calling us pirates

do i detect jealousy from some Italians? :p

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
TheManc said:
Macheda is more impressive than Campbell was at the same age.

He's big, strong, quick, skilfull and is an excellent finisher.

I have no doubt he is quality but I dont think he has the edge for United sorry mate if you disagree.

·
Registered
107 Posts
andersons_left_foot said:
call us what you like we dont care we own them there playing for us and not for the teams of whoever is calling us pirates

do i detect jealousy from some Italians? :p
No jealousy one bit. Just disappointed to see youngsters repaying their club in such a manner. Some of which have their career destroyed, namely Lupoli at the moment, and soon many others to follow.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts