Manchester United Talk banner

Player to solve United's left wing conundrum?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
With about a week to go to the transfer window closed, I said that a striker was essential and a winger was desirable.

And looking at the situation now, I honestly believe we could do with another winger.

Ronaldo is a certainty to start unless hes being rested, hes injured or suspended. But the other wing, whether that be the right or left, is really anybodies guess.

The candidates are Nani, Park and Giggs. Hargreaves is a good winger, and can do a job there, but I would much rather see him in central midfield.

Now Sir Alex has said that Giggs will be playing centrally, and Giggs only has a season or two left in him anyway, so long-term hes not the option. So that leaves Park and Nani.

I'm really starting to lose patience with Nani. He has a lot of talent, no doubt, but he has too many flaws. He's far too inconsistent, greedy, his final ball is generally poor when he does try one, his behaviour and attitude is very poor and he doesn't work hard enough. Sure hes young, and people compare him to Ronaldo when Ronaldo first came over.

But the fact is, Nani is 3 years older than Ronaldo was. He should be more progressed than Ronaldo was, and quite frankly hes playing in a better team than Ronaldo was at the time. His performances should be better than they are, and more regular. And in all honesty, if we don't see considerable progress from him this season, I'll start to question whether hes worth the money and whether hes worth a place in the squad.

Harsh? Possibly. But I'm only assessing what I see, and its not a lot atm.

And then Park. I'm a big fan of Park. He works hard, hes more consistent, he does whats best for the team, he has the ability to produce a great through ball and actually has a better final ball on him than people realise. But again, I don't think we can play him all the time. I think he's treated quite unfairly at times. Hes usually the first to be substituted no matter how well hes playing, and hes dropped a lot even when hes on a good run.

But, with the amount of games and the way we play, I think we need another type of winger. Park has a future here, but its through rotation with the other wingers imo. I think Park is a must to play in the big games though, against the Chelseas, Liverpools, Arsenals, Barcelonas etc etc. I think Park and Ronaldo should also be our no 1 choice of wing partnership throughout the Champions League campaign.

I would suggest that we sign a winger in January if we are going to give Nani plenty of time to progress. Perhaps a cheaper option, like an Antonio Valencia for example.

But if Nani doesn't show must progress by the time next summer comes around, I think we need to take a serious look at better, more expensive wingers, such as David Silva.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
piazza said:
He was a left back for a while, until Marcelo came around and then once Robben got injured they used him on the wing mainly. His pace is in all honesty, pretty blistering. He's got a pretty good touch on the ball too. The first two of these vids show skills and his pace, the third shows his shot.
I saw Drenthe play in the U-21 European Championships, and I thought he was incredible.

I'm not sure where he was playing. I think he played in CM in on of the games, but played on the left in most of the tournament.

When he went to Real Madrid, I wasn't that happy that we didn't make a move for him because I thought he was fantastic.

If he isn't happy at Madrid, I see no harm in going for him. Only question is whether Real Madrid would want to deal with us. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Banana-rama said:
But anyway it is time to move on and I would suggest Aiden McGeady, he is quick and very skillful and can play on either wing, he is playing in the SPL where there is not alot of money so im sure we could get him for under 10 million.
I have to disagree.

I watch McGeady on a regular basis for Celtic (though I haven't seen him for the Republic of Ireland) and I don't think hes good enough for the Premiership.

He's over-rated imo. He isn't consistent, he struggles in the big games a lot of the time and struggles against poor standard of teams quite a bit on top of that. He also thinks hes better than he is. And generally, he has a lot of flaws.

He looks like a great player in the SPL. But I honestly don't think he'd make it in the Premiership.

Of course, I could be proved that. But thats my opinion atm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.