Manchester United Talk banner

Player to solve United's left wing conundrum?

21 - 40 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
piazza said:
He was a left back for a while, until Marcelo came around and then once Robben got injured they used him on the wing mainly. His pace is in all honesty, pretty blistering. He's got a pretty good touch on the ball too. The first two of these vids show skills and his pace, the third shows his shot.

Well....

great ball control, good pace and is two-footed.

Not a bad prospect at all. I wonder if Real would be willing to sell and if he's ready to move to a club that can appreciate him. He doesn't seem like a Madrid-type player.

·
Davey baby chips 'n' gravy
4,055 Posts
I think alot of Utd fans are getting narked with Nani, I even admit his end product is generally lacklustre and he usually ends up frustrating Rooney. I still think he needs a bit more time though. I also think it's unfair that some compare him to Ronaldo, you can't compare them both because Ronaldo is a pure unique talent. Once Nani sorts his crossing out and learns to past the ball to others a bit more he will get there, he definitely has good technical skill.

Schweinsteiger is a quality, he has the Strength and pace to cope with the Premiership also, he has a very powerful shot too. If he doesn't sign a new contract at Bayern he won't cost a thing, although I think Klinsmann might convince him to sign though.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Banana-rama said:
I think this is a good subject, I think we are certainly in need of another top quality winger. We spent 17 million on Nani which is about the same as what Bayern paid for Ribery, Nani looks worth nowhere near 17 million whereas Ribery would cost twice as much if you tried to buy him now.

Why the hell did we buy Nani instead of Ribery????? Ribery had already showed his awesome talent with France at that stage whereas Nani was only good potential, you have to say it was a costly error of judgement that I still can not understand. I was begging for us to sign Ribery that summer on every United forum. But anyway it is time to move on and I would suggest Aiden McGeady, he is quick and very skillful and can play on either wing, he is playing in the SPL where there is not alot of money so im sure we could get him for under 10 million. Also there is Schweinsteiger who's contract runs out at the end of the season so he would be a great signing on a free transfer.

Actually we spent 13million on Nani and 17 on Anderson.
Both big sums of money. ...... then again Gareth Barry is valued at 16 and Robbie Keane at 20 :rolleyes:

Still, I get your point and I was so surprised that Bayern were able to buy Ribery. It was a total coup for them.

Schweinsteiger is a great player, but is much better on the right.

Haven't seen McGready, so can't comment.

Ribery would be a great signing, but if Bayern bought him for 17mil, his price will be astronomical, so I'm not sure he's a realistic target.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Jazz 16 said:
Depends on the game really.
My preference would be Ron on the left and Hargo on the right.

Other options are Park for when we need some extra cover,
Nani against weaker teams where he will get some room to play,
Evra can play there with O'Shea at LB.
Even Anderson too.
We have such a versatile squad that it shouldnt be a problem.

Ron on the left and Hargo on the right WOULD be a formidable threat to any defense, but it would be playing players out of their favoured positions and how effective has Ron been when he's been play on the left?

Still think a class, left-footed, left winger would complete the midfield. I want that Nani to be that guy, but can he mature mentally to become a top-class player? Will he stick around Ronaldo leaves? Will he learn to cut out the gesticulating and mimicking of Ronaldo?

BTW, I would have no qualms with Hargo on the right though. He's done an excellent job there with his pace and ability to deliver great crosses.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Ron on the left and Hargo on the right WOULD be a formidable threat to any defense, but it would be playing players out of their favoured positions and how effective has Ron been when he's been play on the left?

Still think a class, left-footed, left winger would complete the midfield. I want that Nani to be that guy, but can he mature mentally to become a top-class player? Will he stick around Ronaldo leaves? Will he learn to cut out the gesticulating and mimicking of Ronaldo?

BTW, I would have no qualms with Hargo on the right though. He's done an excellent job there with his pace and ability to deliver great crosses.
Id like Nani to be that guy too if he can get his **** together an start playing
a lot better. He deserves a chance thats for sure, but I think Fergie will go for
whoever is on form, its that simple. Nani didnt play against Blackburn and
rightly so. Fergie has options but he needs to give them all a good chance.

Some have mentioned possible replacements but I think its to early to be off
looking elsewhere and transfer spec is usually a load of BS anyway.
but Schweinsteiger, Young and Ribery would be 3 of the best in the business.
Time will tell.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
McGeady is a good choice but hes not playing very good this season

so i would we maybe should sign Valencua hes a great playmaker or maybe sign Moses who can play as a winger and he plays allot of matches with Palace on the wing

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Banana-rama said:
But anyway it is time to move on and I would suggest Aiden McGeady, he is quick and very skillful and can play on either wing, he is playing in the SPL where there is not alot of money so im sure we could get him for under 10 million.
I have to disagree.

I watch McGeady on a regular basis for Celtic (though I haven't seen him for the Republic of Ireland) and I don't think hes good enough for the Premiership.

He's over-rated imo. He isn't consistent, he struggles in the big games a lot of the time and struggles against poor standard of teams quite a bit on top of that. He also thinks hes better than he is. And generally, he has a lot of flaws.

He looks like a great player in the SPL. But I honestly don't think he'd make it in the Premiership.

Of course, I could be proved that. But thats my opinion atm.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Not a bad prospect at all. I wonder if Real would be willing to sell and if he's ready to move to a club that can appreciate him. He doesn't seem like a Madrid-type player.
Real were on the verge of selling him to Roma, but Roma backed out because they decided to buy Baptista instead as he was the cheaper, more low-risk player.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think what you are seeing with Nani at the moment are typical traits of a young player learning his trade. I think he was bought with the understanding that he is a work in progress. I believe in the next couple of seasons we will see a better more mature and consistent Nani.

When Fergie bought Nani it was as an understudy to Giggsy. Now that Fergie See's Giggsy as operating more in midfield it would be nice to have an out and out left winger as backup and to share the duties with Nani.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
We should have moved for Ribery when we had the chance, he cost the same money as nani and 10 times the player! We'll never get him now! There's not much out there in the shape of quality left wingers, we're going to have to hope Nani makes a vast improvement! I would like Lee Martin to make the grade but doubt he will, our youth promotion has been v poor of late.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have always said that park is our most under rated player. He coers more ground than anyone down that left.
I would lik eto see him given more of a chance.

I see Woolridge agrees and was championing him the other day

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
First off, didn't Ribery say that he didn't want to come to the EPL, and if he did come he only wanted to go to the gooners?

Secondly, like Jazz, I think Ronnie is at his best on the left, since he is so good with both feet, and extremely deadly cutting in from the left like 'dinho is famous for (think his goal against Fulham two seasons ago, which pretty much clinched the title for us.)

Lastly, I think Schweinsteiger would be a great fit here, but I think Hargo, Nani and Parkie all are good fits as well, with Hargreaves being my first choice on the right. Nani will progress, I think som of us forget how good he was at the start of last season when most of our guys were struggling. Just wait for a bit, and see how much better his crosses look when Berbatov is on the end of them.

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
The Left Wing Conundrum

Who do you guys feel is the answer to this position for us long term?

I just can't see Nani or Park taking on Giggs' role full time...

Someone like Modric for me, amazing player

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I can see a few different heads coming playing there over the coming years. Obertan perhaps? Cleverly could do a job there or possibly Brady a few years down the line. Or we buy. Depends on cash and the emergence of others really.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Di Maria noxiousD.

i love modric but my head says he wouldnt suit us. Di Maria has the attributes fergie will be looking for in a left winger.

I like the idea of Cleverley been introduced to the squad and easing his way in.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
With Giggs having another year and Park around, that will hopefully allow Cleverly to get a decent chance next season. He may not be a natural out and out winger but could defiantly do a job out there a la Modric at Spurs.

I cant see us spending money if we dont need to (even if we might need to) i think SAF will be forced to give some yougnsters the best possible chance to suceed and save singing anyone.

21 - 40 of 166 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.