Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, so we've got a Player of the Year thread somewhere in MUC, so I thought I'd open a Manager of the Year thread. Obviously there's still a long way to go, but like the POTY thread I thought it would be good to put some names forward, and perhaps keep an eye on it and come back once the winner is announced.

Atm, my MOTY would be Roy Hodgson. He took over last season when they looked doomed, and they only stayed up by 2 goals. However, this season they have made a vast improvement. He has made some very good signings, they've been in a comfortable position all season and they play good football imo. They may also get a Europa League place, if they maintain their good disciplinary record. I know MOTY goes on the seasons achievement but his behaviour and the way he conducts himself is also top notch.

So, who is the Manager of the Year so far iyo? Who should the contenders be?

Z

·
0 Posts
David Moyes has to be up there. He's got his team up there challenging for 4th/5th spot with barely a fit striker in the team all season. They're only 4 points behind Villa and Arsenal! I think what he achieves at Goodison with such a small budget is nothing short of amazing.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
moyes and o neill are the two names that are always up there. moyes does so well on limited funds, and again has got everton challenging the top 6 area.
although they are in a bit of a rut at the moment, o'neill has assembled a great squad with a good mentality and work ethic and they are pushing hard for 4th and i would really love them to get it, i just don't think they will.

mu004, hodgson is a great shout. was discussing him today with a fulham fan mate. the fact that they are in such a comfortable, mid-table position with 7 draws and 1 win, and 6 goals away from home just shows that they have done very well to make their home ground a bit of a fortress, and for a relatively little team, 9th place is great.

steve bruce at wigan is also a thought in 8th place. i know they have struggled recently, but he's been very shrewd in the transfer market, buying palacios on the cheap and selling for £15m, getting valencia in. they may rue the loss of heskey, but they seem to just be keeping themselves around the top 8 which is great for them

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Got to be Martin O'Neill for me. I know they've just fallen outside the top 4 but they're still in with a damn good chance. And breaking the top 4 monopoly in England is probably about as much of a challenge as winning the World Cup with England!

David Moyes and Phil Brown have to be in with a shot though, Hodgson and Brucey too.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Phil Brown.

Bought intelligently and the fact that Hull are likely to stay up is a major achievment, considering he size of the club is similar to that of your average conference club.

Also they've played attractive football.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I'm not so sure Moyes wins hands down.

I think what martin o'Neil has achieved with Aston Villa outshines Moyes' achievements THIS season, so MON gets my vote.

Z

·
0 Posts
I'm not so sure Moyes wins hands down.

I think what martin o'Neil has achieved with Aston Villa outshines Moyes' achievements THIS season, so MON gets my vote.
There are only 4 points separating the clubs. "Outshines" is quite a strong word to use when the gap is so small. Especially when you factor in that Moyes hasn't had any strikers all season.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
There are only 4 points separating the clubs. "Outshines" is quite a strong word to use when the gap is so small. Especially when you factor in that Moyes hasn't had any strikers all season.
Well, Moyes bought an injury-prone striker in Saha.

How wise was that decision?

Moyes has also been building his squad for a longer period than MON and while MON has a small squad, it is brimming with quality.

You might argue money, but Moyes was no slouch in the transfer market signing Yak and Felaini for big money, so on balance, yes, I think MON has outshone Moyes this season.

Z

·
0 Posts
Well, Moyes bought an injury-prone striker in Saha.

How wise was that decision?

Moyes has also been building his squad for a longer period than MON and while MON has a small squad, it is brimming with quality.

You might argue money, but Moyes was no slouch in the transfer market signing Yak and Felaini for big money, so on balance, yes, I think MON has outshone Moyes this season.
Saha was signed on a free transfer. Yakubu brought plenty of goals but is injured for the rest of the season. Plus he was signed before this season so his transfer is irrelevant. Fellaini is their only big transfer.

Besides, if you're taking money into account then you're backing the wrong manager. O' Neill has been throwing money all over the place: Curtis Davies (undisclosed), Steve Sidwell (£5m), Brad Friedel (undisclosed,), Nicky Shorey (£3m), Luke Young (£6m), Carlos Cuellar (£7.8m), James Milner (£12.5m).

That's almost £35m without adding up the 'undisclosed' fees. And you can bet your life that one of the best keepers in the league cost a few million, and one of the best young defenders around would have cost a few bob too. And that was just in the Summer!!

Moyes > O' Neill.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
if united are to win the champions league and league again, id give it to fergie regardless of how well the other managers in the league have done!

pz! :cool:

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
If we do the quintuple sir alex if not then moyes or oneill they have been quality especially moyes with pretty much no strikers

1 - 20 of 42 Posts