...and potentially Robinho's debut...

against Chelski :D :D

Possible team:

----------------------Hart--------------------
Richards----Kompany----Dunne-----Zabaleta
SWP-------Johnson-----Elano------Robinho
-------------Jo--------------Benjani--------------

plus: Petrov and Ireland.

or else Petrov on the left and Robinho up front.

Not a bad team at all.
Could they take 4th from Liverpool this season?

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Jazz i agree, they are strong all over the squad..... they could be make a serious challange for 4th.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
i hope they take 4th from the scousers.

SWP, Robinho, Jo, and Elano is a very good attack. And their defence, (take out Ball and put in that Zabelta or whatever his name is) is also quailty. It's ashame they lost Corluka though.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
if they get good we will have to start hating them again , now we know why sparky left blackburn ---- money grabbing taff could peel an orange in pocket of skin tight jeans , robbo said he had deep pockets and short arms !!

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
mark hughes team talks will come in 6 different languages.

if all they do is knock liverpool out of the top 4 then that is good. dont wanna be seeing them do anything more than that.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
city will take 4th now or at least make the strongest challenge of the chasing pack, lpoo havent really strenghtened their team the only decent player they have singned is robbie keane, the rest are average.

if chelsea can buy the league then why not city?

Z

·
0 Posts
My mate sent me this from an Everton forum.

The lack of signings was actually not the worst part of tonight for me. The Manchester City takeover was. It takes away any dream that a club without a billionaire can make any impact in this league. There was a slither of hope prior to tonight that if by some miracle you could use 4th place as a jumping board to greater things (provided you make it into the CL proper of course). It was a slim hope, but it was there.

Now, where are we? There are suddenly 2 Chelseas in the league and a Man United. Then its Arsenal and Liverpool, who'll be fighting it out for 4+5th place. This will be an interesting effect for the likes of Liverpool as their value to their American owners if they don't keep making the CL league could dip and their money could tighten further. Arsenal's way still seems more self sustaining. But in a year like last year that would be the only league route into the UEFA cup gone too.

Then we have Spurs, who must have just got a bit more worried also as their chances of being a top 4 club got a little more slender, and Villa. Both of whom with decent investment but its tougher to figure out what their chances are from now on.

That brings me to us, and a lot of other teams it would seem. Floating around in relative obscurity hoping for an FA/Carling cup run...as UEFA will not come around again. Mid table mediocrity or worse. I've really enjoyed the last few seasons where relegation fights were off the cards. It was only recently that I stopped focusing on reaching 40 pts as the goal to the season. But I just don't know where any glory can come from or any progression without SERIOUS financial backing, which doesn't look too likely right now.

I am interested to see what becomes of the teams bought by American investors, who are running like a business than a plaything. Will they not want to stick around if the business rewards aren't there? Do you have to have an oligarch to compete? Bemused and rather deflated by the whole day (obviously).

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
robinho took a really bold move in going to man city from madrid...chelsea i can understand but man city...they must have huge plans lol

i think the team will by like this...

Hart

Zabaletta Richards Dunne and whoever is at left back

SWP kompany (holding mid) Elano Petrov

Robino in free role

Jo

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
thekeanefella said:
city will take 4th now or at least make the strongest challenge of the chasing pack, lpoo havent really strenghtened their team the only decent player they have singned is robbie keane, the rest are average.

if chelsea can buy the league then why not city?
because they will always be second best team in the city and london is a far bigger draw than manchester . any player not desperate for escape/cash would always choose red over blue

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
haggler said:
because they will always be second best team in the city and london is a far bigger draw than manchester . any player not desperate for escape/cash would always choose red over blue
the type of footballers the new super rich club are signing follow money first and secondly the possibility of winning trophies, be it at city , chelsea, qpr and blackburn before them, real madrid whoever it is or whatever county , city , country or club.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
i dont think they can challange for the tittle not a chance there
4th place i think could be a tricky target for them id say between 7th - 5th i still think liverpool are to good to loose out on 3rd or 4th
the signing of robinho is a good one for them but i think it mite take him a while to settle and adjust after all hes been playing in spain what 3 years so hes used to there style of football
another thing can he speak english?!? could be a major proper for him cause he screams to me of a person who is easily depressed at things and plays his best when he is 100% happy
the jurys still out of ciddy for me although they are a far stronger team as before
depressing isnt it?

S

·
0 Posts
Thinking about it, Ciddy could help us win the Prem this season.
Taking points of Le Arse, $helski and the dippers, as well as other teams.

I would actually like a few years of Ciddy fighting it out with United at the top.

Manchester was buzzing in the very late 60s and again in the mid 70s when Ciddy and United were close to the top.

Ciddy breaking into the top 4, making it 5.
Don't discount Spurs either, they've made some
decent signings and will be up there as well.

I honestly think this season is going to be one of the
most interesting seasons for years.

BRING IT ON !!!!!

·
Banned
83 Posts
bring on AL CITEY How DID THEY EVEN DARE to steal our god!!!!!!!!!!
BUT LOOK IS IT NOT A MAN UTD SHIRT ON HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
So where does this leave Benjani, Elano & Petrov?

I've said it before and I'll say it again Galaticos tactics just don't work people! :D Real Madrid learned the hard way as did Chelsea in their own way.

You buy the players you need not the player the owner think are "awesome". How do they plan to play the outstanding Petrov with Robinho?

Two left wingers, perhaps? Or is somebody is going to move to the right? I guess this signals an abrupt end to the career of Darius Vassell at City.

Benjani is a good striker & let's not forget he was just finding his feet scoring wise & despite the fact that City only have one big name striker in Jo

one gets the feeling that All of Sven's good work is about to be sold to the highest, or perhaps the first, bidder. After all City don't seem to need money.

Elano scores a brace and then is left on the bench against Sunderland? Why would you not play one of the best play makers outside the top four?

Answer me Mark Hughes. Your status as a United old boy won't save you now. I've actually come to enjoy watching Elano, Petrov & co.

For all my whinging though I'm kind of excited. A little nervous but mostly excited. Finally a bit of depth in the Premiership.

Isn't this what I've wanted all along. So why do I wish it had been some other club who'd been bought up? :p

P.S. Of all the clubs who have pretensions beyond their station I believe we can all agree that none do it quite like our friends on Tyneside.

Newcastle fans seem to believe that a top four spot, the Premiership & Champions League belong to them by right of birth.

What makes them think that, who knows. Still is anyone else having a laugh at what must be going on there?

The fans are probably running around shrieking "Why can't it be us!!!" hysterically before bursting into sobs. :D

it's almost enough for me to wish that it had been Newcastle who'd got a rich sugar daddy. After all the fans seem to want it so much more than anybody.

Also on the same note Peter Kenyon is probably crying that he now has competitors. :D

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Man am I glad Berba didn't go to City.

He has a good understanding with Petrov and that would have been some parternship.

I don't think Hughes would waste Petrov's or Robinho's talents and I think Hughes will try to form an all-Brazilian partenrship with Jo upfront.

Robinho - Jo

Petrov - Elano - Johnson - SWP

Zabaleta - Kompany - Dunne - Richards

Hart​

Subs
Schmeichel
Ben Haim
Onouha
Ireland
Fernandes
Sturridge
Benjani

That's quite a team, and hand-on-heart, I think they look more balanced than Liverpool on paper...... but it's played on the pitch, not on paper isn't it?

Last season, I was so surprised at how quickly city gelled, but I did say they wouldn't last the distance and they didn't.

This season, I think it could be the other way around with them taking slightly longer to gel and get to terms with new-found expectations, but that they could last the distance under Mark hughes' leadership.

The key signings must be SWP and Robinho.

Their signings have been good solid signings and their squad looks more balanced now, but those two players are really special and will give them every chance they need to give Liverpool a run for their money.

The signing of Robinho and SWP has changed the course of the season and they will take points off the big four.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
will this year champion has a total of just 80 points, or even less? i would not bet against it. all the teams are capable to take off points against title contenders

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I see robinho as a striker personally so i think the line-up will be:
Joe Hart
Kompany/Zabeleta - Richards - Dunne - Ball
SWP - Ireland - Elano - Petrov
Robinho - Benjani/Bojinov (when fit)

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I think all three will play regularly still, petrov on the left, elano centre mid, benjani/bojinov up front with robinho

1 - 20 of 37 Posts