Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
dont forget they have SWP on the right. and robinho is more of a right winger than a left winger/forward. and robinho has a size similar to SWP, though SWP is faster. exciting squad, but doubt they can keep everyone happy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hope it all crumbles around them.
Robinho settles nicely in Manchester, Ciddehs sugar daddy gets bored that he doesnt win
everything straight away and pulls out. They're left in loads of debt
and have to sell off there players. We get Robinho for cheap as he's nice and
settledd in his new home!! :D

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
heard the spokesman for the group that have bought city this morning saying a billion pound investment in abu dhabi gets maybe a few column inches as its small change .

the thing is though you can have the best ingredients from everywhere but if they are mixed wrongly or cooked at wrong heat all you gets a burned up mess .

the manager is key - look at united pre fergie - we gave manager after manager loads to spend and ended up no better off .

the thing that makes me laugh is that now the mercenaries will end up at city and chelsea

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Speedy but very small. I know what you're all thinking:

"Dr. Piazza, the newly crowned European champions lacked size too!"

My response to anyone saying that is:

Q:What did Spain have that city doesn't?
A: Technically savvy players capable of passing circles around the whole of Europe.

They have a great deal of speed, however as well as dribbling ability. Who's going to hit that killer pass? That's what I wonder. Johnson maybe? Will he even be in the squad enough? Elano? Same problem lies with him as well.

Either way, the bluenoses have certainly made it interesting, haven't they?

·
Registered
734 Posts
i hope Robinho does well hes a good player to watch, hopefully he brings city to 4th and leaves liverpool to 5th that would probably be the death of me tho as id laugh myself to death, i think it could well happen tho as city do have a very good team now, ah well id die happy :)

·
23,699 Posts
Just came across this article and I gasped at a piece of information some may just merely suspect but probably not know. The new owners of Citeh are actually 4 times richer than Chel$ski's Abramovich (!!), which probably inspired the author to pen this article. Shocking and perhaps even frightening....

bleacher report

Manchester City: Bigger and Better Than Manchester United and Real Madrid?

Yoosof Farah assesses the wealth of Manchester City's new owners Abu Dhabi United Group, and with the amount of money they've got, wonders whether or not Manchester City can be a bigger club than Manchester United and Real Madrid....

Who would ever have thought it? Manchester City outbid Chelsea (yes, Chelsea!!) to sign Brazilian superstar Robinho.

For £34.2 million.

A British record transfer fee.

Believe it or not, it's true. And it seems now, that after being taken over by Abu Dhabi United Group, Manchester City could become a superpower in English football.

Actually, make that world football. These new Arab owners are reportedly four times richer than Roman Abramovich. Yes, four times richer than Roman Abramovich, the Russian guy who owns Chelski.

It seems so strange that just a few days ago we were all talking about the lack of money Manchester City had, and how they were in desperate need of an injection.

They reportedly had to take out a loan of £30 million just to pay for salaries and transfer fees. There were even fears that they wouldn't be able to repay the fee they paid for previous record signing Jo.

And now, just a few days later, Manchester City fans are all happy that Shinawatra is gone (as chairman at least), and that new owners are in place. Although not much was known at first about the new owners' wealth.

Until the following day.

Not to be outdone by rivals Manchester United and their £30.75 million purchase of Dimitar Berbatov, the new owners went and bought City fans a welcome gift. A Brazilian guy called Robinho. He only cost £34.2million.

Oh, is that a British record? These Arabic owners probably didn't even notice.

And the new owners aren't going to stop there. Oh no, it's not just Robinho they've wanted. Fernando Torres, Francesc Fabregas, David Villa, and Cristiano Ronaldo are all on the radar of new chairman Sulaiman Al-Fahim. The latter he reckons he can get for £135million.

Speaking to The Guardian, he said:

"Real Madrid were estimating his value at $160 million (£90m) but for a player like that, to actually get him, will cost a lot more; I would think $240million (£135m). But why not?"

Why not indeed? They have the money. Soon enough they could have the other superstar players to attract Ronaldo. And even sooner they could have the superpower status to sign him. The latter Al-Fahim thinks City will definitely have:

"We are going to be the biggest club in the world, bigger than both Real Madrid and Manchester United", he declared with certainty.

So very lucky you are, Manchester City fans. You have real money in the bank now, most likely more than the £800 million Shinawatra was ever going to promise. Money that has gone on another record-breaking Brazilian, and could quite possibly go on Villa, Torres, Fabregas, and quite likely Ronaldo.

I'm sure that Manchester City will now go on to be a superpower in the world of football. Money can make or break a football club, but with Robinho coming in for a British record, and Ronaldo possibly coming in for a world record, here money surely will only make Manchester City.

It could make them one of the best football clubs in the world.

And to show you they mean business, they actually also made a last attempt to land the most controversial player in our forum - Huntelaar!!

Ajax striker Klass-Jan Huntelaar has revealed an offer for his services came in just before the transfer deadline, but insists he is happy to stay where he is.

According to reports, Manchester City made a £32 million bid for the Holland striker on Monday, while clubs including Manchester United, Real Madrid and Tottenham were all linked with a move for the player during the summer..........

http://sport.setanta.com/en/UK/Our-...Int/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
haggler said:
because they will always be second best team in the city and london is a far bigger draw than manchester . any player not desperate for escape/cash would always choose red over blue
spot on mate , there is only one reason robinho opted for city over chelski cash cash and more cash.
anyway chelski have had their billions for a few seasons now and have only won the fa cup in the last couple of seasons , money doesnt guarantee success but it certainly helps

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
i love the berbatov comments , if he wanted cash he would have gone to city but instead he came to the biggest club in the world .
i think that about sums it all up

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
city wont be a top 4 team and i dont see many big stars if any going to them.. besides robinho..

i read that city are going to bid for ronaldo, fabregas, and torres in the transfer market but none of them will ever go there

the new owner wants them to be bigger than madrid and united but no matter how much money they spend on players it will never happen

·
23,699 Posts
It was Tevez yesterday. Today it was Giggs.

Putting aside any emotional 'baggages' and the hard fact that Citeh will never be as great as us as a club, I, however, don't think we should just brush them off as a never-be on the pitch.

With our very own Hughes at the helm now, backed up by new owners that are at least four times richer than Abramovich so far I read, the ambition displayed by bidding crazily but concretely for almost all big-name players they can think of and their almost unrecognisable but very credible line up this season, I do agree with Giggs that there may just well be a Big Five from now.

Exciting for neutrals and more 'intense' for United fans surely.

GIGGS EXPECTS TO SEE 'BIG FIVE'

"You just have to appreciate the money they have got," Giggs told Key103.

"Signing Robinho is a big statement to football as a whole because he is a world-class player.

"With the amount of money they have got to spend, the next few years will be interesting and we will just have to wait and see what happens."

http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...09/05/SOCCER_Man_Utd_Giggs.html&TEAMHD=soccer

·
23,699 Posts
Alex Ferguson undaunted by newly-enriched Manchester City

Sir Alex Ferguson brushed off the challenge posed by the newly-enriched Manchester City yesterday, insisting that he had encountered the threat offered by new money in the game before and that "it doesn't change anything."

While Liverpool's Rafael Benitez, also responding to this week's seismic developments in the British game, accepted that Abu Dhabi investment did make his life harder, Ferguson was characteristically unmoved and amused at talk from the Abu Dhabi United Group (ADUG) that Cristiano Ronaldo may be on their radar....

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...y-newlyenriched-manchester-city-13962716.html

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Villa would cost City '£121m'

Valencia president Vicente Soriano has said that Manchester City would have to pay £121million in order to land David Villa's signature.

Villa had been persistently linked with a transfer away from the Mestalla following his impressive showing for Spain at Euro 2008.

A move during the summer failed to materialise, however reports on the final day of the transfer window suggested Premier League club City had attempted to secure his services.

The new owner of City, Dr Sulaiman Al-Fahim, has intimated that Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment (ADUG) could back a major overhaul at the club in January with Villa thought to be high on their list of targets.

No desire to move
But Soriano has warned the Eastlands outfit off Villa, insisting only a world record offer would see the 26-year-old depart Los Che.

He said in the Daily Star: "They would have to pay his release cause - £121million."

Villa's agent, Jose Luis Tamargo, added: "Villa has said he intends to remain in Valencia, where they want to keep him for a long while.

"He has never wanted to play in English football."
Source: Sky Sports

Kaka could consider City

AC Milan star Kaka could consider joining Manchester City, according to the player's agent.

Kaka has been a long-term target of Chelsea, while Manchester United and Real Madrid have also been credited with a desire to sign the Brazilian playmaker.

However, City's new found riches following the takeover by the Abu Dhabi United Group have made the Eastlands outfit a major force in the transfer market and Kaka's representative, Diogo Kotscho, has hinted at an interest.

Kotscho has revealed that Kaka may be attracted by a move to the blue half of Manchester, but insists City would need to secure their short-term goal of UEFA Champions League qualification.

"Kaka would prefer a club like Chelsea, Real Madrid or Milan, but we never know," Kotscho told The Observer.

Prospect
"This season Manchester City do not have a team to win the Champions League. Maybe next season they can get into that competition - they have the prospects to be good enough.

"What they need to have is a big project to win the Premier League and the Champions League. It's not just about Kaka, they will only get the very best players if they attain this level.

"It was the same with Chelsea a few years ago - they had to prove themselves too.

"I think Manchester City are headed in the right direction, but they have big work to do.

"It's no easy thing to reach the same level as the biggest clubs in the world, and it's not just about money - you have to spend it properly and build a great team. In two or three years they can be there if they do the right things."
Source: Sky Sports

in few years time they will take liverpool's 4th spot. haha

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Idiots threw away a 2 goal lead to the Scousers.
I think this is already their 4th defeat in the league already.
They seem to be an up and down team thats for sure.
Can they still get into the top 4 this season?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts