Manchester United Talk banner

Manchester United fan falls to his death from a moving coach

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Sownak27 
#1 ·
I know that this was at the start of the month but i didnt see it on here so:

A football fan who fell to his death from a moving coach may have drunkenly mistaken the emergency exit for the toilet.

Danny McFarlane, 22, plunged from the vehicle on to a motorway and was struck by a car.

Despite the efforts of an off-duty doctor, the Manchester United fan died at the scene from his injuries.

He was travelling home to Newport, South Wales, after watching his team play Everton at Old Trafford on Saturday.

The coachload of about 40 season ticket holders were celebrating a 1-0 win thanks to a Cristiano Ronaldo penalty.

A source, from another branch of the Man Utd supporters club based in South Wales, said: “I believe they had been drinking on the coach, which may have had something to do with it.

“It was a rowdier coach than ours. We don’t let people drink on our buses.”

Relatives paid tribute to Danny in a statement last night. It read: “Danny was a fun-loving young man just starting out in life and was very close to his mum.” His aunt Diane Lane added: “He had the brightest blue eyes and that’s what people called him.

“He was helpful, always cracking jokes and had one of those laughs that set other people off.

“His mother loved him so much. He was her only child and her life.

Advertisement - article continues below »

“It hasn’t sunk in yet. She keeps thinking he’s going to walk through the door.”

Mum Carol said: “My darling Danny, with your dad now. Will love and miss you always and for ever.”

Danny, who had been a Man Utd fan since he was a boy, worked as a carpenter but studied IT and hoped to change careers. His father Frankie died six years ago.

The accident, near junction 1 of the M5 near West Bromwich, West Midlands, was not suspicious, police said. But the southbound carriageway was closed for six hours while they investigated.

The ambulance service said: “A man was found on the motorway with multiple injuries being cared for by an off-duty doctor.

“Unfortunately, despite the best efforts of ambulance staff, nothing could be done to save him and he was confirmed dead at the scene.” A postmortem test will be done.

On the internet, a group dedicated to Danny on social networking site Facebook had nearly 200 messages of sympathy yesterday.

One, from Hinna Kiran Khan, said: “Danny, truly a joker but one of a kind. I hope you find peace.”

:rip_1:

See less See more
G
#3 ·
Read this a couple of weeks ago I think. How drunk do you have to be to think the exit is a toilet?

As a safety precaution, buses should be fitted with locking mechanisms that prevent the door from opening whilst in motion.

It's a shame he died, but he looks like a contender for a Darwin to me.

#9 ·
Bloody hell. I've done some stupid things when I've been so drunk that your totally disorientated so I can relate.

When I joined my local supporters club in Lancaster I was surprised when I learnt that drinking had been banned on coaches but stories like this will just make sure that the ban is enforced more rigourously.

RIP fella :rip_1:

#11 ·
Bloody hell. I've done some stupid things when I've been so drunk that your totally disorientated so I can relate.

When I joined my local supporters club in Lancaster I was surprised when I learnt that drinking had been banned on coaches but stories like this will just make sure that the ban is enforced more rigourously.

RIP fella :rip_1:
ur from lancaster ??? go on lad! me too! didnt expect to see anyone from crapcaster on here !

G
#18 ·
Isn't this the whole point of an Emergency exit, to be able to exit the vehicle at any time in the event of an emergency. There's no reason to say that an 'emergency' wouldn't happen while the bus is in motion.
I'm sure in the event of an emergency, the bus would stop quite suddenly. I for one wouldn't like to jump out of a moving bus, just look at the original post to see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.