Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...te-kit-next-season-exclusive-115875-21049688/

Manchester United will play in a historic strip next season - in honour of a player who helped them win their first major trophy.

Stars including Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo will wear the shirts, which feature a large white V-shape sash down the front.

The kit is based upon a 100-year-old design supplied by one of the club's own players, Billy Meredith, before the 1909 FA Cup Final.

Meredith, nicknamed the "Welsh Wizard", is regarded as football's first superstar and guided United to victory in the Cup and the league title the next year.

A century on, United's kit makers Nike have been asked to rework Meredith's shirt - using high-tech materials rather than heavyweight cotton and with a white sash on a red shirt instead of 1909's red-on-white.

Meredith, a former Welsh coalminer, earned £4 a week at United - then three times a miner's wage but just £298 a week in today's money. As a sideline he ran a sports shop and became the club's kit supplier. For the Wembley final with Bristol City, both sides had to change from their usual red shirts.

Meredith quickly arranged for a set of white lace-up shirts with a red V to be made, and United went on to win 1-0.

Meredith, who also played for Man City, retired from football in 1924 to open a pub and died in 1958.

A Man Utd insider said: "The club felt bringing back this old kit was the perfect way for United to mark 100 years of success."

(Meredith - far left in picture)

Born: July 30, 1874, Chirk, near Wrexham
Nickname: The Welsh Wizard
Position: Winger
Wages: £4 a week
Career: 740 games, 176 goals (club); 48 games, 11 goals (Wales)
Trademark: Dazzlingly quick, he played with a toothpick in his mouth

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
well, i'd like to see it before i judge it, but the fact that every year we are wearing kits and making tributes just shows how rich the history of our great club is. whether or not i like the shirt, i will be proud of it, because of what it represents about manchester united.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
It must be a new away kit but you know what that means either the White away or the the blue away are thrown on the scrap heap !!

Another screw for the fans I thought that Kits had a 2 season life span now days.

During the last few years we have had

The Red home which had a 1 season

The Black and Red away which was kept 1 season

And now a new kit which would mean another away kit being made redundant!

Im starting to see a trend why dont they make a Memorial kit every season that way the fans get screwed every year .

·
Registered
616 Posts
dont think it will suit Giggsy's hairy chest... lol i thought that the last home kit with the white V was meant to reflect the past ?
Hope Nike do a good job with it,IF it comes off.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
red dave said:
It must be a new away kit but you know what that means either the White away or the the blue away are thrown on the scrap heap !!

Another screw for the fans I thought that Kits had a 2 season life span now days.

Im starting to see a trend why dont they make a Memorial kit every season that way the fans get screwed every year .

Did you not hear the news months ago?

In a bid to help the debt problem, there will be a new kit be it home, away or 3rd EVERY season for a while.

...as for that one above. It won't be the home one, so brain dead sense means
that (If its all true of course), that the white will be chucked, blue pushed back to
3rd, and that one, redesigned slightly into the away slot.

I want the black from last season back!!! :(

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
red dave said:

I loved the black away and the red with the white v. Great jerseys.

Anyway, they need to bring out new jersey every season, but to be fair they didn't change the home jersey.

Edwards said:
dont think it will suit Giggsy's hairy chest... lol i thought that the last home kit with the white V was meant to reflect the past ?
Hope Nike do a good job with it,IF it comes off.
The one with white V (from 06/07) was to commemorate the busby babes.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Keano! said:

In a bid to help the debt problem, there will be a new kit be it home, away or 3rd EVERY season for a while.

that (If its all true of course), that the white will be chucked, blue pushed back to

Yes I know there is always a new kit coming out but if they had a 2 year life span then it would be the away one season the home the next !!

United are just making memorial kits for everything now days I believe the Munich kit was special and deserved its run but if we are going to bring one out for everything then its the fans who get screwed.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
hope this all goes ahead the players of that era need more recognition as they laid the foundations of what was to come...manager ernest mangnalll should have more official recognition too.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
For gods sake some of you fans are a joke who get taken for mugs by the clubs money all the time !!

Yes bring a kit out every season they made a ****ing rule up that said all kits had to be out for 2 years the only way around it is by bringing out memorial kits!!

So the only way they can screw the fans is to bring out a memorial kit out for every event that has happened at United which is pretty much every other year with us being so huge.

Munich , Every centenery of 68 and Busbys death centenery .

Its a ****ing joke I stopped buying the kit when they screwed the fans with the last home kit they never told anyone it was a one season kit and they sold it at full price until the day the put the big squad photo in the new kit up.

Then I buy my Nephew the black kit and they get rid of it for the blue another memorial kit and guess what they will be changing another away and the home in the summer !!

It must appeal to all you over seas fans but to me I think the club is ripping off the fans who live local go to the games spend money on the club every other week .

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
red dave said:
For gods sake some of you fans are a joke who get taken for mugs by the clubs money all the time !!

Yes bring a kit out every season they made a ****ing rule up that said all kits had to be out for 2 years the only way around it is by bringing out memorial kits!!

So the only way they can screw the fans is to bring out a memorial kit out for every event that has happened at United which is pretty much every other year with us being so huge.

Munich , Every centenery of 68 and Busbys death centenery .

Its a ****ing joke I stopped buying the kit when they screwed the fans with the last home kit they never told anyone it was a one season kit and they sold it at full price until the day the put the big squad photo in the new kit up.

Then I buy my Nephew the black kit and they get rid of it for the blue another memorial kit and guess what they will be changing another away and the home in the summer !!

It must appeal to all you over seas fans but to me I think the club is ripping off the fans who live local go to the games spend money on the club every other week .
i never have and never will buy a relica strip...the only tops i possess are the retro ones....classics, never go out of style , no adverts and actually represent something.only ever had to buy one of these.....and bonus is i didnt have to buy them from the megastore either

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
scottsati said:
i never have and never will buy a relica strip...the only tops i possess are the retro ones....classics, never go out of style , no adverts and actually represent something.only ever had to buy one of these.....and bonus is i didnt have to buy them from the megastore either

Im not attacking anyone in particular Im just stressing that the club is pulling the wool over everyones eyes every season they never made memorial kits until the 2 season kit rule came in .

·
Registered
199 Posts
RedForceRising said:
A century on, United's kit makers Nike have been asked to rework Meredith's shirt - using high-tech materials rather than heavyweight cotton and with a white sash on a red shirt instead of 1909's red-on-white.
Well that suggests to me that it will be the new Home kit. Which we are due for anyway.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Just another gimmick pulling on our fans love of the club's tradition to sell shirts.

Since Glazer has taken over the club, the shirt policy has been laughable. Shirts for one season cos they are 'commerative' or 'in honour' dont wash with me i'm afraid.

It will be another one season only shirt, along with the blue one from this season so that means we will get two new shirts in the summer followed by a new red and a replacement for the white one the season after.

Fans response will be you dont have to buy and your right. I dont. But go to the first friendly at Old Trafford next season and thousands upon thousands will have.

Its a making us a joke and the sooner it stops the better.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
antdevil78 said:
Just another gimmick pulling on our fans love of the club's tradition to sell shirts.

Since Glazer has taken over the club, the shirt policy has been laughable. Shirts for one season cos they are 'commerative' or 'in honour' dont wash with me i'm afraid.

It will be another one season only shirt, along with the blue one from this season so that means we will get two new shirts in the summer followed by a new red and a replacement for the white one the season after.

Fans response will be you dont have to buy and your right. I dont. But go to the first friendly at Old Trafford next season and thousands upon thousands will have.

Its a making us a joke and the sooner it stops the better.

Thanks for the support Antdevil some of the fans on here are so ****ing driven buy the commercial side of the club it ****s me off !!

Im so suprised people are happy about another Memorial kit !!!

Qoute back to my previous posts about this subject !!

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Keano! said:

SECONDED !!

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Sownak27 said:
SECONDED !!

You must therefore be ****ed off they screwed everyone by not telling them it was a one season kit .

People will stop buying them for there kids soon United are playing a naughty game with the fans !

All the ****ing day trippers will buy in there thousands though at the built up pre season friendlys when they have the reserve team parade the Trophys again !!

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
2010 - 20th anniversary shirt for Fergie first trophy
2011 - 10th anniversary of the 'three in a row' champions
2012 - First Premier League Champions Special Edt. shirt
2013 - 20th anniversary shirt in memory of Bryan Robson's last goal for the club
2014 - First clubs double shirt
2015 - 20th anniversary commerative won f*** all shirt

and so on and so on......

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmmmm, i'm looking forward to the next home shirt, but if this is our new home shirt, ill get it, but ill be disqppointed if thats our Home, as i wanna get the gold champions premership bade on the side man! With Rooney or Scholsey!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
red dave said:
Thanks for the support Antdevil some of the fans on here are so ****ing driven buy the commercial side of the club it ****s me off !!

Im so suprised people are happy about another Memorial kit !!!

Qoute back to my previous posts about this subject !!
??

red dave, this is another one of your exaggerated reactions that I'm failing to understand.

Which post are you referring to on this thread that shows that (in your own words) "some of the fans on here are so ****ing driven buy the commercial side of the club it ****s me off !!" ??

1 - 20 of 89 Posts