Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roberto Mancini's agent claims the Italian turned down the chance to become Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant at Manchester United.

The 44-year-old coach has been out of work since leaving Inter Milan last summer.

He has been linked with a number of high-profile clubs, including Chelsea - but his agent Giorgio De Giorgis claims an offer to join United was snubbed earlier this season.

"Where will he go? He would want to go abroad," said De Giorgis.

"A little while ago there was contact with United but they were offering him only the role of Ferguson's assistant. And that didn't suit him.

"I really believe that next year he will return to coaching a big club.

"I think that everyone aspires to have someone like him, he has showed on the pitch how well he knows how to make his teams play and that he knows how to win."

Mike Phelan is United's current assistant manager, having replaced Carlos Queiroz when he became Portugal coach in September.

Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Mancini's United link

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
The way I see it, this could be an explanation as to why Phelan got the assistant job.

Maybe Ferguson had spent time pursuing Mancini (and possibly even others) and got to the stage where he could not waste any more time looking for an assistant, so appointed someone in-house.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
The way I see it, this could be an explanation as to why Phelan got the assistant job.

Maybe Ferguson had spent time pursuing Mancini (and possibly even others) and got to the stage where he could not waste any more time looking for an assistant, so appointed someone in-house.
I agree with that actually.

It's an interesting story anyway. If Mancini did take the job he'd want to take over from Sir Alex as well.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
No offence to Phelan as i think he did fairly well with the team at the moment with all the clean sheets and everything which to me might be down to him, i would love to see Mancini working alongside sir alex.Shame that he reject the offer probably targeting a higher post than that which im not sure he is capable enough to manage a team like ours. But who knows fergie and what he has on his mind? If he did approached mancini, then i think he thinks highly of him.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Fergie did the right thing and not rush out to get a replacement for carlos , he now has had time to have a good look around and also seen phelan perform

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Do you guys/girls really rate Mancini as a coach? I, personally, think he flatters to deceive.

He won the Coppa Italia with Fiorentina then Lazio. He did well, but not spectacular with both clubs.

It was only when he came to Inter that he won the Scudetto two years on the trot.

In a world without Calciopoli Inter & Mancini would have won nothing. This is all but a certainty.

I just don't rate him as a coach & I apologise to those who do but that''s my view.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Do you guys/girls really rate Mancini as a coach? I, personally, think he flatters to deceive.

He won the Coppa Italia with Fiorentina then Lazio. He did well, but not spectacular with both clubs.

It was only when he came to Inter that he won the Scudetto two years on the trot.

In a world without Calciopoli Inter & Mancini would have won nothing. This is all but a certainty.

I just don't rate him as a coach & I apologise to those who do but that''s my view.
You are right that he won nothing in Europe ,but what won Mourihno with Chelsea and Inter ?
Juande Ramos after winning the UEFA Cup was in role of the destroyer for Spuds ,so winning or not some times could be not a good argue for coach skills .

So , I am not saying that Mancini will be the best choice,because i don't know actually the problems experienced in Inter,but as an yuang coach more or less can be discussed .
Also his ,,right hand" is a Sinisha Mihaijlovic- the other ,,half team" player in the short past .
Both of them can shows to the every one of the players perfect some details of the game.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts