Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: SkySports

FC Barcelona attacking ace Lionel Messi has set his sights on a return to action against Manchester United in the semi-finals of the Uefa Champions League after latest scan results show that the Argentinean teenage prodigy's on the verge to full fitness.

Messi is back to fitness after picking up a hamstring injury in the victory over Glasgow Celtic the previous month.

The 20-year-old schemer has returned to Spain after undergoing rehabilitation in his native Argentina and he says he is close to returning to action.

Both FC Barcelona and Manchester United are in line to face each other in the last four of the Uefa Champions League semi-final tie after picking up away triumphs in the first leg of their quarter-finals clashes with Schalke 04 and AS Roma respectively.

Messi is chomping at the bit to play again and has got his eye on a possible clash with Barclays Premiership reigning champions & league leaders United.

In Good Shape

"I am good and can't wait to be back to action with my team-mates," he told El Mundo Deportivo. "There have been weeks of intense work in Rosario, training in the mornings and evenings every day.

"I feel strong and confident, I can't wait to play! I hope I will be able to play the Uefa Champions League semi-finals, and face one of the best teams in the world: Manchester (United).

"Now I return to Catalunya and I hope I will be part of the squad, at least to play for a few minutes."

·
Registered
569 Posts
Let's see
They have Henry, Eto'o, Messi, ronaldinho, Deco, Iniesta, Bojan and zambrotta!
Strong team but Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Nani, Anderson, Scholes, Vidic, Rio is stronger!

·
Registered
854 Posts
does any1 agree that this game may have the most exciting and talented players ever? i cnt ever tink of game that had the names that wud be involved in this game.

·
Registered
582 Posts
With all these great players...Man U V barcelona in the Chamions League Semi could be touted as one of the greatest games ever!!!

I know I will be watching...along with 80% of the entire world!!! lol

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
scott 4 evra said:
does any1 agree that this game may have the most exciting and talented players ever? i cnt ever tink of game that had the names that wud be involved in this game.
Seconded, in terms of atacking-wise talents that each squad possessed in their ranks, deffo'!!

It'll be key match-ups between:

Wayne Rooney vs Carles Puyol

Cristiano Ronaldo vs Eric Abidal

Carlos Tevez vs Gabriel Milito

Ryan Giggs vs Gianluca Zambrotta

Samuel Eto'o vs Rio Ferdinand

Thierry Henry vs Nemanja Vidic

Lionel Messi vs Patrice Evra

Ronaldinho Gaucho vs Wesley Brown

Well for midfield, I'm not very sure who'll Fergie choose to field...but I do hope that he will go select Hargo as this are type of games where he can come in very useful for United. Probably SAF would stationed him between the defense & midfield, acting as a shield to protect the back 5. Breaking up opposition attacks before they even start gathering momentum & distributing it to the much more attacking-minded players.

·
Registered
36 Posts
well, wat can i say!

it's a dream match...

i think this match will test each teams defensive capabilities...

both teams can score, thats for sure!

this will be the real test for uniteds and catalans back four.

i hope that vidic will be in good shape for that tie...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
matches of the year, just hope that the match can live up to its expectations...
a little early to talk about it, it just shows how much ppl are excited by the prospect of this game!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
lets get there 1st, never know we could be in a match against a totally different styled team in schalke! in a strange way i think we'll suit playing barca and i simply cannot wait if we do :)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Drew9 said:
lets get there 1st, never know we could be in a match against a totally different styled team in schalke! in a strange way i think we'll suit playing barca and i simply cannot wait if we do :)
Exactly....the rest of you need to hold your horses and not get ahead of yourselves.
Schalke were robbed against Barca in the first leg so I wouldnt be surprised
if they got a surprise win in the Nou Camp.
I think United have done enough but you can never be too sure in football.

Z

·
0 Posts
Messi is a brilliant player and can unlock any defence, even ours!
It's amazing that with the likes of Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Henry etc,
Messi is Barcelona's best player and has been for a while now.
At just 20 years old he will only get better and better and in my
opinion is already the best Argentine player since Maradona.
I hope he's still injured when/if we play them. We are getting
slightly ahead of ourselves though as we're not through yet and
neither are Barcelona.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
I agree that we should focus on getting there first, but If we pass on I am praying we get barca since I cant stand spanish teams. Personally I think we can take them their defence is absolutely awful.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Don't worry about Messi people! We got Evra to take care of him :D If Arbeloa (joke) could have him in his pocket last season Liverpoo vs Barca then I think our Evra will do just fine. He is also comming back from injury so will not be on his full best so I do not see him as a huge threat as I would of seen him if he was fit. We should be able to take this over two legs especially with how Fergie has found new European tactics. Its a dream match and I really can't wait till we play thim!!! Excellent match ups are going to happen all over the field as RDL4 has written already :D

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
yeah unless he is doing some secret training and practise in argentina he should not be at his best (messi) IF barca and ourselves meet in the semis.

Would be quite the game if we played them though.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
it will be tough if he will be back.....but we can cope..hope vidic comes by then.....then that would be great....a solid defence and a very good midfield and an awesome attack....we will have to be in good nick too if we have to win...the last semi's of the UCL against AC will have opened our eyes im sure....one talisman and a bad day can break united...so leats all pray for a good perfomance...but we still have to see if both of us advance...mostly will but we have to wait and see......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts