Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argentine ace Lionel Messi has insisted he will defend his country's title at the Olympic Games this summer, regardless of Barcelona's stance on the situation.

Los Albicelestes did not concede a goal four years ago as they claimed gold virtually unopposed while Paraguay took the silver and Italy were forced to settle for bronze.

The team from Athens boasted the likes of Roberto Ayala, Gabriele Heinze, Javier Mascherano, Lucho Gonzalez, Javier Saviola and Golden Boot winner Carlos Tevez – and their squad for Beijing is no less formidable.

Premier League stars Tevez and Mascherano are set to defend their medals, while the likes of Sergio Aguero and Real Madrid duo Gonzalo Higuain and Fernando Gago will join Messi among Argentina's La Liga contingent.

Barcelona have attempted to block the 20-year-old from going to China as the Olympics coincide with the opening of the European season, meaning he would miss the club's first Champions League fixtures.

But Messi is determined to represent his country, and insisted he is looking forward playing alongside Aguero and co this August.

"I am going to the Olympic Games whatever may happen," Messi said. "The truth is though that I do not know how we can resolve things, but there is no doubt that I will be there.

"I have really high hopes with the Olympic squad. I am very pleased that Sergio Aguero is joining us and I am looking forward to playing alongside him."

·
Registered
550 Posts
It's pathetic that some clubs try and prevent certain players from playing in the Olympics. If Barca can't cope without Messi then they've got a problem. The gold medal he could win with Argentina is far more important that a few league games that Barca should scrape through anyway.

Park should have gone to the Olympics too. He doesn't even play in that many games, never mind start. He could get one or two games with United that he wasn't even terribly important for in the Olympic window, while he could have been the star for his country at the Olympics.

It's not right. Good for Messi.

·
Registered
129 Posts
TBH I think the whole sitution is a joke, we could be losing Ando and Tevez amongst others, and I assume it will be the same for other teams, it should be changed to either be a proper Int'l tourny and have the season moved back a bit or it be moved back or reduced in size to reduce the impact on clubs, why do most think the Africa cup of nations should be moved but the Olympics not?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts