Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to hear peoples views on him. He wasnt that impressive tonight and I

dont like starting threads after a player has under performed but it seems to be a

bit of a trend. I think he got better through last season but hasnt quite kicked on

this year. For me Id rather have Anderson in the team before him on current form.

Carrick would be behind Scholes and Hargreaves also. So what you guys

think?????Im starting to wonder where Carrick will fit into Fergies plans.

I know he has been injured as well. Is this a factor?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fergie's started rotating players in that central midfield area, I'm not a big fan of that but seeing the quality of players we have at our disposal, t'is inevitable. Carrick hasn't got enough games this season to prove that last season was not a fluke. Today was possibly one of his poorer performances in a United shirt. When fit, Scholes and Hargreaves are going to be the preffered midfield duo of Fergie, that's for sure. And he'll keep rotating between Anderson, Carrick and Fletcher (and possibly O'Shea).

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I think its just a bit of a dip in form for his last few performances, so no need to worry imo.

He missed like 6 weeks or so (i think) with his injury aswel, you cant expect to come back after a spell like that out and set the world alight lol.

At the moment id have him as my 3rd chioce CM, behing OH and Anderson.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i thought he played pretty tremendously tonight, a typical carrick performance, sporting may have had their fair share of attacking play, more than acceptable at old trafford, but i think this may have been due to poor attacking play from nani, giving the ball away more often than not allowing sporting to turn the play right back at united. Carrick hustled and harried, i thought he played well, fletch was ahrite, anderson too, out of the three midfielders who started i though carrick was the pick of the bunch. As a member in a dream squad, which united have, he's gotta learn to be ready, to step in and play good football, every player we have has to be able to do that

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I have never really thought of Carrick as a true United player.......
He is not in the same leagues as Scholes or Keane were so I don't think he is good enough to start, especially against the big teams......
....Even at the weekend against Bolton, he performed his diasappearing act and our lack of presence during the first half contributed greatly to the end result.....
He is a great squad player, as "Keano's fan" pointed out at an earlier stage, however I think Scholes, Hargreaves and Anderson have more to offer in midfield in terms of pace, creativity and purely getting stuck into a game and tackles, which Carrick too often seems reluctant to do.....
...That said he has his moments, most notably against Roma last season, but too often he fades away in important matches and at this level, playing for Manchester United, that is simply not good enough to warrant a first team place.....

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
carrick is guilty of over practice on run over ball and turn to pass. way too predictable. watch scholes, he has a lot fakes and turns ball direction without over rotating hips. carrick needs to be more deceptive!! but with any thing, along
comes a game where carrick plays by the seat of pants and scores and dominates
mid field?

·
Registered
505 Posts
He was much better last night than the Bolton game, hes still recovering from that elbow injury and just needs more games under his belt to get to his best form. Please dont forget how good he was for us last year when he played week in week out.

For me is our best CM avaliable along with Anderson and I hope they both start v Fulham, we don't really need a holding midfielder against a team like them at Old Trafford so I hope Hargreaves doesn't start.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
This should really be in with the match comments. If we keep opening new threads on every single player in the team, on every single game, we are going to be flooded with poorly posted threads all over the forum.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Please don't tell me that Fergie spent £14m on a squad player.

I'm sure that he is a big part of Fergie's plans.

Carrick hasn't got going yet but I saw an improvement in his play last night. He gave the ball away too often in the first half but some of his one touch passing was excellent in the 2nd half and helped the flow of the game.

Unfortunately, Carrick reminds me of a crab at times - always moving the ball sideways. Once his confidence picks up and he starts looking for killer forward passes he is capable of tearing defences apart with his passing - especially if an in form Saha/Rooney/Tevez is running onto those passes.

I know that Anderson has played very well for us but remember that he's still just a kid - he'll have patches of good and bad form. Central midfield is a crucial area in any game - matches can be won and lost there. It's vital we have quality centre midfield players and in Scholes, Hargreaves, Carrick and Anderson we have that.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I think carrick's played quite well so far, but hargreaves is alot better so i expect carrick to not look as good because of the way hargo is playing! I think anderson has been awesome so far too! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts