1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sky Sports

United midfield duo to return
Key pair to provide double boost for Reds' engine room

Manchester United's injury-hit midfield will be given a boost with the imminent return of Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves.

Both players are getting closer to full fitness and the England duo could return to the heart of the United team as early as next weekend.

With Paul Scholes expected to be out until December with a knee injury picked up against AaB Aalborg, Sir Alex Ferguson hopes to include both players in his squad to face West Brom on Saturday.

Carrick has missed the last six matches since breaking a bone in his foot against Liverpool in September, while Hargreaves has fought a long-term knee problem ever since he moved to Old Trafford from Bayern Munich last summer.

Ferguson believes 27-year-old Carrick will almost certainly be in contention to face the Baggies, with Hargreaves also likely to feature. Park Ji-Sung, Anderson or Darren Fletcher could make way for the returning pair.

Ferguson told the Manchester Evening News: "We are expecting Michael to be available next week. He is almost back to full training now.

"Owen is much better and we will pencil him in for the West Brom game without question."

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I am more ecstatic with the return of Carrick tbh but of course that said not that i dont welcome Owen..Best news i had for awhile now..and looking forward to see them on the pitch again.

·
Registered
566 Posts
i think our midfield coped very well without them esp anderson.
hope their return will bring more steel and stability to the engine room, hope not at the expense of anderson.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
I'm getting annoyed with the persistent knee problems of Hargreaves. Guess Hargreaves took pity on the physio's and decided to give them company since Saha's gone.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
great news for us..we really missed both of them....

hopefully they will get back to form soon...but in hargo's case then maybe he will get back to form and then he will be out for a month!! :rolleyes:
but carrick is a boost

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Thank God! We need Carrick so badly now, his calmness on the ball and creativity through his passing are absolutely irreplaceable.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
A timely return indeed. I was starting to worry about our central midfield options but with these 2 back there is no need for concern. We have plenty of options again.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is great news. Our options in midfield looked to be slim. So luckily, they're just coming back at the right time.

Carrick coming back is the most important. Hes a quality player, and is very important for us. However, you don't see how important he is to us until he isn't there.

Hopefully Hargreaves can keep his fitness now. He seems to be a worry with his regular tendonitis flaring up. Its a shame, as his quality isn't in doubt. I fear we'll never see the very, very best of him in a United shirt unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Certainly good news, with Scholesy injury we needed either to be back. Hargreaves could act as an invisible wall that breaks up opposition attacks before they start gathering momentum and provide much-needed defensive steel that we sorely lack in the Anderson-Fletcher combo while Carrick will be instrumental in cutting open opposition's defense with his good passing ability and tactical awareness. It'll be interesting to see if SAF will drop Fletcher with him being one of our best players this season so far... :rolleyes:

·
23,699 Posts
red_devils4life said:
Certainly good news, with Scholesy injury we needed either to be back. Hargreaves could act as an invisible wall that breaks up opposition attacks before they start gathering momentum and provide much-needed defensive steel that we sorely lack in the Anderson-Fletcher combo while Carrick will be instrumental in cutting open opposition's defense with his good passing ability and tactical awareness. It'll be interesting to see if SAF will drop Fletcher with him being one of our best players this season so far... :rolleyes:
:eek: :eek:

Welcome home, RD4L. :)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
cristianorooney said:
Carrick and Hargreaves both out of tomorrows game.
Correct.

Carrick will resume full training on monday with the lads but wont make the
game against Celtic on tuesday. Hargo still experiencing problems, hopefully could
be in contention for next week.

For all injury updates check post 1 of the injury thread (its in my sig)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
thought it was too good to be true about hargreaves , when will he ever be fit enough to play 5 matches on the trot

1 - 18 of 18 Posts