Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok were approaching the most important time of the season....hows mike done so far, what has he brought to the set-up or taken away? does he has the strength of charachter that carlos had and the same rapport with players? is he still learning the job or should he be up to speed fully , what are his strenghts and weaknesses? is he there for the long term?

dont think he is in the same league as carlos, its unfair to judge them like that as he is his own man, although he has been long established in the set up undoubtedly his new job is a step up and requires new skills which he is still learning.personally think his biggest weakness is he doesnt possess a big a personality as others have and you need that sometimes in todays game. think he has a lot to offer and the guy deserves every chance

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I still think hes a yes man to be honest, he probably has a good drive for success but otherwise I don't think he is offering anything new.

But it's probably wrong of me to make that judgment when I don't see behind the scenes.

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,917 Posts
No no no he does bring something else to the plate...

He talks to Match of the day because Fergie hates BBC lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
He's a yes man.

Whether he'll grow some balls as he continues in the role remains to be seen, but it takes a strong personality to tell Ferguson he's wrong, and Phelan isn't that man at the moment.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I'd love Roberto de Matteo as the assistant. I would say Roberto Martinez aswell but I think sooner rather than later he will be a premiership manager anyway.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
I think that it's a bit hard to decide what to attribute to
the Assistant Manager so I'm not going to judge.

I can however say that I liked Queiroz more and, for some
reason, I just trusted him more than Phelan.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Fergie didn't want to bring in a new assistant as there would be part of the new man who would want the job when Fergie goes.

It was part of the reason Carlozzz left as we couldn't promise him the big job.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stephen said:
Fergie didn't want to bring in a new assistant as there would be part of the new man who would want the job when Fergie goes.

It was part of the reason Carlozzz left as we couldn't promise him the big job.
is carlos one of those guys thats a world class number two, but maybe not a top top number 1??? i've always thought he was soemthing special and deserved a chance at big jobs but he has had his critics as a number one

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I have to agree with the people saying he's a yes man and that he doesn't have a strong personality. I also agree with Stephen about a new assistant wanting the top job.

However, we're still doing well and he may come out of his shell as he's in the job for a longer period.

And of course, we can only judge by what we see on a matchday. He may be offering a lot on the training pitch for all we know.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
i must admit i thought when carlos left he might have left us in the lurch , but fair play to phelan he has been superb

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Mike Phelan

Most of us were pretty disappointed when the current National Manager of Portugal was replaced by low profile Mike Phelan as our assistant manager. Many of our early season setbacks were blamed on his lack of experience and coaching ability. Now that it's the business end of the season, what do you make of Phelan's performance as assistant manager so far?

I think that we are being too harsh on him and he is not getting the credit he deserves. Considering that he was a defender in his playing days, I think our current water-tight defense has something to do with him.

Do you still think that we need a new assistant manager?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
red devil jeff said:
Most of us were pretty disappointed when the current National Manager of Portugal was replaced by low profile Mike Phelan as our assistant manager. Many of our early season setbacks were blamed on his lack of experience and coaching ability. Now that it's the business end of the season, what do you make of Phelan's performance as assistant manager so far?

I think that we are being too harsh on him and he is not getting the credit he deserves. Considering that he was a defender in his playing days, I think our current water-tight defense has something to do with him.

Do you still think that we need a new assistant manager?

If it aint broke dont fix it.
I dont think all the clean sheets are a coincidence either. He was a decent defender iin his day.

edit: we had a mike Phelan thread recently. Ill merge them together if thats ok....

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
red devil jeff said:
I think that we are being too harsh on him and he is not getting the credit he deserves. Considering that he was a defender in his playing days, I think our current water-tight defense has something to do with him
Great point. He must have something to do with it!

We don't really know if he is a good or bad coach because we're not there on the training ground. However, our results and defensive performances suggest he is doing a good job.

We can only really judge at the end of the season. All this talk of the quintruple is making me nervous. We could still easily end the season with only the Club World Cup in our trophy cabinet. If we just win the Premier League then this has been a very successful season and all the backroom staff must be given the credit they deserve. If we win other trophies too then I think Mike Phelan et al deserve a pint, a hug and a kiss! :D

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
RoxiiUtd said:
None of us know the behind the scenes, i`m sure he works hard for the team`s benefits.
Us not knowing his work behind the scene doesn't stop us from slating him. So doesn't he deserve credit when the team's playing well?

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
red devil jeff said:
Us not knowing his work behind the scene doesn't stop us from slating him. So doesn't he deserve credit when the team's playing well?
Ok fair enough.
On which bases are you slating him on tho ?

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
RoxiiUtd said:
Ok fair enough.
On which bases are you slating him on tho ?
Lol I'm not slating him. I'm just saying that if he is to be slated for a bad performance, then he should be credited for a good performance. Fair is fair ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts