Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS he being realistic or is he winding up Rooney & co?

Fergie - We won't win the lot
United boss keeping realistic about prospects for season
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_4712613,00.html

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson believes winning four more trophies this season is not a 'realistic' target.

The Red Devils are currently playing catch-up in the defence of their Premier League title and are also in contention for more silverware.

Derby County await in the semi-finals of the Carling Cup, Inter Milan are last 16 opponents in the UEFA Champions League and United start out in the FA Cup against Southampton next weekend.

United have already scooped the Club World Cup this month, but Ferguson is not getting carried away by dreams of a further four trophies this season.

No chance

"To win one major trophy is unusual but nice all the time," said Ferguson in the Daily Star.

"But there is no chance of winning all four competitions we are left in this season. It is appetising and we will have that opportunity if we are still in them all come March and April, but it is not realistic.

"I won't be making any ridiculous statements about winning the lot.

"We would have to be very lucky in terms of everyone still being fit and we have got a job to do in the league.

"Our start has been very difficult. Every game we have had after a European match has been away from home. And when we came back from Japan we were away again at Stoke on Boxing Day.

"We have also had away games against all the top sides.

"So our start has been satisfactory, but not perfect at the moment. We are in a very competitive league, but we still have a good chance of keeping our title."

·
Registered
601 Posts
Stephen said:
He's right though.
Yeah the lads do need a kick up the back side, i think hes trying to tell them its not going to be an easy ride, it wasnt last season but this season its going to be tougher. But i think in the stoke game they should have got it in thier heads if stoke can nearly stop man utd from getting 3 points then the lads will have to work three times as hard.

But i still think we can win all the silver wear

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Yeah, he's right.

It would take a miracle for us to win THE treble again (yes, THE treble of Premiership, CL and FA Cup,) never mind the Carling Cup as well.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
think fergie is being realistic, no mind games.

for us to win all the lot from the position we are in at the minute is a big big ask.

we aint even started playing in FA Cup yet. Carling Cup still has the holders in who can put a good game together against anyone and we have a tough draw in CL.

we can do anything as were united but i hope fans wont be disappointed if we just end up with PL title this season. I hope for that each season and anything else is a bonus.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Yep, he is being realistic, but he likes to wind his players up & encourage them to prove him wrong.

I think that by our standards we have been very average this season so far. If it weren't for the inconsistency the other title-chasers have also shown we could be well off the pace by now.

He knows, like we all do, that we need to move up a couple of gears & find our groove like we have in seasons past. Do this, win our games in hand & we're right back in it & that is when our rivals will really fear us.

THREAD KILLER!!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Winning all 4 trophies is something that various people at Chelsea have claimed is possible over the last few years but they have never won more than 2 trophies during that time.

Tbf, we've been pretty close to winning the treble in the last couple of seasons but lost in the semi's of the Champions League and the FA Cup Final in 06/07 and were very unlucky to lose to the eventual winners, Pompey, in the FA Cup last season. However, surely this is just further evidence of just how tough it is to win a treble, never mind a quadruple.

We're in the semi's of the Carling Cup and, with no disrespect to Derby, really should make the final so I can see why people may be thinking about the quadruple. However, it's a long hard season and I would be esctatic if we 'only' win the Premier League this season.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts