Most Important Player?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At United, we undoubtedly have some stunning players at our disposal, some whose contribution to our success goes unnoticed... But, I have started this thread to ask all of you, who do you regard as our most important player ? Who gives the team that extra bit to push us over the finishing line and makes us what we are - the world's best football team. The main criteria for the title of our Most important player, is basically : If we sold him, we would suffer the consequences more than selling A.an other...

In my opinion,there are 3 main players who fit into our MVP category and they are : Wayne Rooney, Nemanja Vidic and Cristiano Ronaldo... Of course we have many other stars like Berba, Tevez, Rio, Evra, Carrick etc.... I think we could certainly still be where we are this season without these guys, despite their certain quality. But, I think these 3 guys are undoubtedly the engine of the team and provide us with that essential '' Fear Factor '' , that makes us great and has put us to the pinnacle of English and world football over the last 2 years. Without them, we would be in dire straits to tell the truth.

To put them in order is definitely a difficult task, but if asked this is the way, I would go about it :

3. Nemanja Vidic : The statistics speak for themselves : 14 cleansheets and he was the mainstay in defence for that elusive record. Along with that, he has banged in 6 goals this season and one of them got us started against Chelsea - a game that many saw as the kickstart to our season. This season, Nemanja has certainly overtaken Rio in my estimation as being the main man in our highly established back four. Without him, this season, we have been quite shambolic at times. Like against Blackburn. We conceded an early goal and they had us on the rack for the majority of the second half, until Nemanja came on and steadied the ship. Also, his signing coincided with us winning a (potential) 3 in a row. I believe that his signing provided us with that final piece of the jigsaw to make us GReat. You could certainly argue a case for him being more important than the other two, and this season you would probably be right. Either way, he is an absolute neccesity for us and I hope Milan stay well clear.

2. Cristiano Ronaldo : Well what can I say, Ballon D'Or , Fifa footballer of the year, Pfa of the year twice .... The list is endless. Certainly last season, I would have ranked him as our most important player, with is stunning tally of 42 goals and all of those goals coming from a winger..... He is definetly the most talented player I have ever seen in my life and probably the greatest ''footballer'' I have ever seen. His mazy dribbles,his goalscoring ability, his set - pieces, his footwork, his sheer audacity to do the unexpected makes him a true great in modern football. He is one of the few players today that you would pay money to go and watch. All of this would make you think that he is our most important player, but I believe there is just a little bit more required to deserve that title.

1. Wayne Rooney : He is in my opinion our most vital player. When, he is missing, I literally lose all hope, he has the ability to inspire those around him by flying in for challenges and taking the game by the scruff of the neck. He never gives up what appears to others as a lost cause... His ubiquitous nature makes him invaluable to our style of play and he is the player that makes everything tick. Maybe he doesn't provide us with the sort of goal tally Ruud,Ronaldo,Cole have provided us with in the past, but I believe that an injury-free stint would sort all that. The fact, that we lost no league games with Rooney on the pitch for the 90 minutes last season, proves is colossal presence. He is in many ways the heartbeat of the team and without him we are never the same outfit. So therefore, the most important player at this club in my eyes is : Wayne Rooney.

Opinions?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I agree with absolutely everything you have said there.

Special mention for Scholes. The man is absolutely incredible when he plays. Think he has had one off performance this season and at times i have literally sat with my jaw open watching him drill diagonals that most midfielders can only dream of. When you think there is no way through the opposition, when everyone believes they have it locked down, Paul Scholes will find a way through.

Other than that, yes, you said it all!

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with absolutely everything you have said there.

Special mention for Scholes. The man is absolutely incredible when he plays. Think he has had one off performance this season and at times i have literally sat with my jaw open watching him drill diagonals that most midfielders can only dream of. When you think there is no way through the opposition, when everyone believes they have it locked down, Paul Scholes will find a way through.

Other than that, yes, you said it all!
Yeah I agree with you Ady, except , I don't think Scholesy can no longer be considerd as an ''important player'' for us...

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Rooney, no question about that. He makes us tick, and all our play goes through him. Without him we rely on Ronaldo too muc.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Great write up Berba :thumbsup:
I dont 'lose all hope' when Rooney isnt playing though. Yes, he is important but we have many
other players who can fill the void. Agree with the rest though.

but Id have Ronaldo 1st, then Rooney then Vidic.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Vidic, without a doubt. Ferdinand and Evans are interchangable, but Vidic is vital to the defense, and the team. I wouldn't put Rooney or Ronaldo above or even close to him personally. Berbatov is also becoming quite important, imo.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great write up Berba :thumbsup:
I dont 'lose all hope' when Rooney isnt playing though. Yes, he is important but we have many
other players who can fill the void. Agree with the rest though.

but Id have Ronaldo 1st, then Rooney then Vidic.
:specool:.

Ya, perhaps, last season I would have agreed with you on Ronaldo being number one, but I just feel Rooney is like a caged bull every time he is on the pitch and he just oozes class at times like yesterday. All 3 are vital though, no question.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
:specool:.

Ya, perhaps, last season I would have agreed with you on Ronaldo being number one, but I just feel Rooney is like a caged bull every time he is on the pitch and he just oozes class at times like yesterday. All 3 are vital though, no question.
Well its what we have always expected and hoped for Rooney. Every season he always lacks a little something. Most seasons, I say 'THIS will be Rooney's season' but this time around I could be right for once.
He is looking beastly and up for it and lets hope his goalscoring run AND quality performances keep on coming.
Who knows? By the time this season is over, Rooney could be our main man. It was Ronaldo last year,
could easily be Rooney this year. Lets hope so anyway. No better man for the title :)

you should see about getting your OP on the blog Berba!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Without a doubt it has to be Cristiano Ronaldo, what he has brought to the club has been fantastic, he is the best of the best, last season he basically won the 2 trophies for United all by himself, this season he hasn't been as good but he is still the best in the world, he has been more of a team player this season.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Nemanja Vidic.

Without him our defence doesn't look as rock solid and his performances in the last two months have been a big contributing factor to our current league position.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well its what we have always expected and hoped for Rooney. Every season he always lacks a little something. Most seasons, I say 'THIS will be Rooney's season' but this time around I could be right for once.
He is looking beastly and up for it and lets hope his goalscoring run AND quality performances keep on coming.
Who knows? By the time this season is over, Rooney could be our main man. It was Ronaldo last year,
could easily be Rooney this year. Lets hope so anyway. No better man for the title :)

you should see about getting your OP on the blog Berba!:thumbsup:
How do I go about that then?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Nemanja Vidic.

Without him our defence doesn't look as rock solid and his performances in the last two months have been a big contributing factor to our current league position.
As much as I may have agreed a while ago: http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-chat/17955-vidic-our-most-important-player.html
There was a poll here as well, which Vidic won 19-9, which says a lot.
Im not so sure now. I think Ronaldo is our most important player and here is why.
Without Ronaldo we lack goals, cutting edge and world class wingers.
If Vidic is out we can call on Rio, Wes and Evans. Obviously Vidic is a rock at the back, but
we have better cover for him than we do for Ronaldo, which leads me to th conclusion that ronaldo is our most important player.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Its so hard to pick a more importent player
Rooney is respected and inspires the team, we rarely lose when he's in our side. it's amazing watching an inform Rooney run a game with not only power but clever passes and runs.
Ronaldo strikes fear into the opponents and sometimes creats space for others as he is often man marked.He is also very importent to our team also with his goals and assists from the wing, and he also is our penalty and free kick taker
Vidic most be a guardian angel for any goal keeper. He's a shield infront of goal and can score a few down the other end.

I'm gonna choose Ronaldo because without him we have a fairly average and creatless midfield. I just think our team would miss his creativity most, he brings everything needed to the game.
We also have Tevez and Evans for cover in the other positions and only Nani and Park (Tosic) for the wingers.

Ronaldo gets my vote for most importent player.
But that's not saying he's my fav player. Vidic or Rooney win that hands down.... they way those two play the game is why i watch it, sheer heart and determination, the will to win!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts