Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has been the most painful thing in football for you guys?

For me, it was when England went out of Euro 96 on penalties. The football England played in that tournament was possibly the best football I've ever seen in my life and we battered Germany in that game. Absolute heart brake. England deserved that championship, especially Gazza.

I cried for hours after that! (I was quite young)

I think if we had had Ryan Giggs on that left wing instead of Darren Anderton, like we could have done if he chose us, we would have won that tournament unquestionably.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
when i was a kid getting into football a couple of years later sat watching the 1982 world cup and seeing the best team in the tournament....brasil :) get knocked out by italy- i was devastated lol.

was probably because they were the first team i'd ever seen try and play football the way it should be played...nothing cynical or negative just pure skill and entertainment

·
Registered
286 Posts
Darren Anderton on the left wing for England says it all IMO.

Worst pain for me was the other year when Milan beat us at the San Siro and knocked us out of the CL. I was absolutely gutted. After a great win at OT aswell. Heartbreaking.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
England being beaten by Portugal in penalties, last WC. It was very painful, i never remember myself crying that much concerning football ..

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Michael Ballack in the 39th minute of the 2002 World Cup quarter final. Domination up to that point, and at most points following it. The ball just wouldn't go in the damn net. :(

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Mine was WC 2002 knockout stages, Spain knocked us out on penalties. Heart breaking to say the least.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts

For me, it was when England went out of Euro 96 on penalties. The football England played in that tournament was possibly the best football I've ever seen in my life and we battered Germany in that game. Absolute heart brake. England deserved that championship, especially Gazza.

I think if we had had Ryan Giggs on that left wing instead of Darren Anderton, like we could have done if he chose us, we would have won that tournament unquestionably.
Yeah, that was the only time I cried for football, back when I cared
about England. I've always hated Gareth Southgate and that match
didn't help much.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Mine was WC 2002 knockout stages, Spain knocked us out on penalties. Heart breaking to say the least.
Yep that would be mine. I STILL can't believe it :frown:
That was the tournament where Keane left as well which just killed me. I was miserable for months after that.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
probably wc 02 when the yanks knocked us out, wc 06 comes in a close second because of how well we played against argentina yet that maxi rodrigues screamer knocked us out.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Not to mention Ian Harte :mad:
I predicted that before the game :eek: Told it to about 20 of my mates. I had such a strong feeling that we would get a peno and miss. As soon as the ref blew a few of the lads just looked at me funnily. I knew he would miss.... but Kilbane on the rebound??!?!??:thumbsdownsmileyani

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
From a Manud point of view, getting beat by Milan and losing to Dortmund in Cantona's last year.

From an England point of view, losing Rooney in Euro 2004. We WOULD have won that if he had stayed fit.

From a player point of view, the day I found out Eric was retiring and the day Sir Matt died :(

·
Registered
3,001 Posts

I wasn't crying, but i was really gutted after that game. We played so well, and came close on a few occasions in Extra time to win it. How unfortunate that Southgate missed that penalty. We deserved to win, and if we had, I have no doubt we probably would have won Euro 96.

I was really gutted after our Penalty shootout exit in World Cup 2006. I couldn't sleep the whole night after that, and even my 2nd team Brazil went out and the team i wanted to win the final, didn't. It was a bad bad world cup. :(

Most recently, the 4-1 loss to Liverpool. That was a dark dark day for me. It really was.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Italia 90 when England lost to Germany on penalties in the semi-final. I was only 8 but I was absolutely devastated. I can still remember that tournament so vividly. David Platt's last minute winner in extra-time against Belgium. Lineker's 2 penalties to beat Cameroon 3-2 after trailing 2-1. Paul Parker's horrendous deflection against Germany and then Lineker's equaliser. Gazza crying. Waddle and Pearce missing their penalties.

The older I've got the easier it has been to cope with England's failures. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts