Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who do you think doesn't get the respect and praise that they deserve?
and who do you think is United's most underrated player?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
Would Park be considered Under-rated? If so, i'd go with him. Works his back-side off and never stops running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,427 Posts
For me it would be Carrick, Park and Scholes (only by other fans really...we all know he is world class but other fans think Gerrard or Lampard are miles ahead of him - I beg to differ ;))
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
My answer's simple...Michael Carrick. I seriously don't know why is he so underrated outside of Old Trafford. He is one of the best central midfielders in the Premier League currently, yet he doesn't always make England squads and certainly does not enjoy the type of fanfare that other central midfielders do - even those at his own club get more compliments. It seems quite odd that Carrick does not get the type of praise that he deserves when at Tottenham Hotspur, he started to mature into a midfielder that could dictate the tempo of a game and link defence with attack by enforcing an effective passing style. And look at how Spurs perform with & without him. True, Carrick will probably never reach the heights that a certain Roy Keane soared at as a player, but still he has become a key component to the Red Devils machine and is getting better all of the time. Some people over here may even argue that Owen Hargreaves is a far better player than Carrick, but they are two totally different types of midfielders and offer something contrasting when given the nod to start. Carrick is an immense player, the majority of my friend who supports Spurs would take him back in an instant. He is vastly underrated and probably the best English passer of the ball in the Premiership. Tbh, apart from Paul Scholes, I hasn't seen a beter passer of the ball compared to Carrick. It should be noted that it is no coincidence that few years back Spurs were challenging the top 4 nearly as closely as Everton had this season. That is, before Carrick played for us and then this year they had a drop in fortunes as they still hasn't managed to found another type of player like of that Carrick - definitely not Zokora! He did it at Spurs and now he's doing it at United at a consistent rate in the Premiership. Thus, he's the most underrated player in our squad. Along with Alexander Hleb & Robbie Keane, he's up there as the most underrated player(s) in the Premiership! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,427 Posts
red_devils4life said:
My answer's simple...Michael Carrick. I seriously don't know why is he so underrated outside of Old Trafford. He is one of the best central midfielders in the Premier League currently, yet he doesn't always make England squads and certainly does not enjoy the type of fanfare that other central midfielders do - even those at his own club get more compliments. It seems quite odd that Carrick does not get the type of praise that he deserves when at Tottenham Hotspur, he started to mature into a midfielder that could dictate the tempo of a game and link defence with attack by enforcing an effective passing style. And look at how Spurs perform with & without him. True, Carrick will probably never reach the heights that a certain Roy Keane soared at as a player, but still he has become a key component to the Red Devils machine and is getting better all of the time. Some people over here may even argue that Owen Hargreaves is a far better player than Carrick, but they are two totally different types of midfielders and offer something contrasting when given the nod to start. Carrick is an immense player, the majority of my friend who supports Spurs would take him back in an instant. He is vastly underrated and probably the best English passer of the ball in the Premiership. Tbh, apart from Paul Scholes, I hasn't seen a beter passer of the ball compared to Carrick. It should be noted that it is no coincidence that few years back Spurs were challenging the top 4 nearly as closely as Everton had this season. That is, before Carrick played for us and then this year they had a drop in fortunes as they still hasn't managed to found another type of player like of that Carrick - definitely not Zokora! He did it at Spurs and now he's doing it at United at a consistent rate in the Premiership. Thus, he's the most underrated player in our squad. Along with Alexander Hleb & Robbie Keane, he's up there as the most underrated player(s) in the Premiership! ;)
I agree with every word rd4l wrote in his post! Nicely said :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
So who do you think doesn't get the respect and praise that they deserve?
and who do you think is United's most underrated player?
Wes Brown :D
I think its Park,Carrik,Schouls and Saha....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
Hey come on' guys! All of you lot are juz' saying so-and-so is underrated but can't ur give a reason why so-and-so is underrated at least? For example, highlight the due credit that should be awarded to the player & his strong points that didn't get any recognition from the public.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,699 Posts
Hargreaves and Carrick, as in my matchday posting in the recent Roma game:

And I am pleased to publicly announce the midfielder at the utmost of my mind these days. His name's Carrick; Michael Carrick. I have been observing him with great interest in recent times. He is now a class act and a dominating figure in our engine room in case you have not noticed by now. He sits just in front of the defence and does his job so well that Hargreaves was not needed there in the Roma game. He does not win the ball physically but wins them by intelligence and flawless positional sense, intervening and winning the ball with timely, clean and sharp tackles. And he looks so calm and collected, always seems to know where he should be and somehow or rather, always able to find that extra time and space with the ball. Now that is indeed the sign of class. Wow. I am completely won over.

Hargreaves. To all the detractors of Hargreaves out there who think he is slow and useless, I do urge you to reconsider your view or at least keep an open mind about him. Since he was hardly needed in the middle of the park because of Carrick as mentioned above, he surprised us with his attacking instincts, combining well with Park initially and always ready to join in the attacks down the flanks, with both speed and fitness. And I honestly thought the crosses put in by Hargreaves must be the best we have seen this season from the flanks. Wicked, swirling and tricky ala David Beckham. And pretty consistent too, not just in this match, as we surely must have observed. His assist to Tevez was exemplary, so exquisite and inch-perfect with just one quick glance before the final delivery. In my opinion, now that Carrick is so established where he is, it may be an interesting proposition to convert Hargreaves to be a RB or a right winger.


P.S. Jazz, I know what you meant; I feel like an Arsenal player too - fatigue - but more likely lazy. Am gearing up for the Arsenal game though. :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,547 Posts
O'Shea is another forgotten hero. A multi-piece in the Manchester United puzzle. He fits in everywhere but is never the first pick in any position.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,029 Posts
Fletcher.He does'nt get many nods from SAf to play but when he plays,he shows us why he deserves to be in the starting line-up.He is natural class,but no one has noticed him yet.Remember when we faced Arsenal in the FA Cup(and hammered them 4-0,might i add),and Fletcher pleaded to Fergie to let him play and look what happened in that match.He got 2 goals and deserved to get the man of the match award.Im just surprised no one has made a bid for him
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts
The_Red_Prince said:
Fletcher.He does'nt get many nods from SAf to play but when he plays,he shows us why he deserves to be in the starting line-up.He is natural class,but no one has noticed him yet.Remember when we faced Arsenal in the FA Cup(and hammered them 4-0,might i add),and Fletcher pleaded to Fergie to let him play and look what happened in that match.He got 2 goals and deserved to get the man of the match award.Im just surprised no one has made a bid for him
I agree with you.Fletcher is excellent player. When he plays I do not worry for result
 

·
Thank you Sir Alex
Joined
·
5,528 Posts
It has to be Carrick. He was the spine of our championship winning midfield last year. And his ability of not to get injured is a definite factor of us being in the position that we are.
 
1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Top