Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mourinho Admits He Would Ditch Inter In A Heartbeat For Manchester United - Goal.com

Jose Mourinho will have peeved off a whole lot of people in two separate camps by publicly admitting that he would walk away from Inter for the chance to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

The ever-controversial Portuguese coach has always refused to rule out the prospect of a switch to United later in his managerial career, but this was his most categorical admission yet that he would drop anything to be the king-pin at Old Trafford.

Mourinho told ESPN, "Which is the manager that says no? Nobody can say no!

"Manchester United belongs to a small group of clubs from around the world where nobody can say no."

However, Mourinho stressed that talk of an impending switch to United was premature, as he believes it will be a fair while yet before his old foe Ferguson quits his post.

"I don't believe in 2010 he [Ferguson] is leaving - I don't believe," the former Chelsea boss said.

"I think year after year he is the same, he's exactly the same person; healthy, happy... so I don't see a reason for him to quit.

"And in a very fair way, I hope he still goes, I hope he still goes on, because he's good."

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Which is the manager that says no? Nobody can say no!

Exactly what i thought when i read the thread`s title. He said some credible things in this interview, very strange of him. I don`t believe Fergie will leave at 2010 either, i think that`s too soon considering his health and the maintaining of his coaching abilities. And he is good, thanks for pointing that out Mourinho ;)
He didn`t say a single lie in that whole interview, but if i was an Inter fan i would be entirely disappointed. Although to be fair, he never said that he would ditch Inter for us. But papers interpret everything how they want, and people might get disappointed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do u guys think mourinho will bring some players with him if he comes to man utd??
Drogba? Essien? Ibra?
To be honest I cant see any of the players he wanted at Inter coming to Man Utd.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
He clearly really wants this United job. One thing thats always put me off him is his reluctance to think in the long term, but just lately he has been saying he wants Inter to be bringing young player through more and wants to revamp the squad to fill it with younger players.

So he's swinging in my favour more again now.

And Hamdi, I think he would try to bring Ibrahimovic if possible, and if not would definitely bring in a big target man.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Would love him here... Perfect replacement to keep fergies dynasty going for at least another 5 years after he leaves.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
By playing defensive football and being arrogant?
That is exactly the idiotic response I expected from some poster. Look at Mourinho's first season in the prem... Who played the most exxciting football, with Robben and Duff on the wings... Exactly...

And yes his arrogance would be something we would all grow to love..

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
They had an incredible defensive record under Mourinho but I don't see how you can think of a 4-3-3 formation as defensive.

He may have played with only one striker up front but he always had 2 wingers up there with him.

They ground out a lot of results...but tbf that's exactly what we have been doing this season.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Don't be silly:)

Mourinho made Chelsea play exciting football in his first season..
I loved watching the 4-3-3 formation with Duff and Robben on the wings like Berbatov08 said..

Like Reddwarf said they got results under Mourinho when they needed, a bit like us this season..

Mourinhos arrogance would be brillant if he was United manager and it would be something you would love as a United fan..!

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I still don't know about him, for me its between him and O'Neill and recently I've been siding towards O'Neill but now I think about Mourinho its balances out again.

The stumbling blocks of Mourinho for me are:

The short-termism of his management: He has no track record for planning for the future. He can bring instant success in the present no doubt, but look whats happened at Chelsea, they didn't plan for the future and now they're a shadow of what they used to be. However in the past few days he has said he wants to be bringing players through the youth ranks at Inter and buying young Italian players to build for the future so hopefully he's changing on that one.

The long ball football: Even though he did play excellent football with Duff & Rooben on the wings, there's no doubt he does often use long ball football. Which not only isn't what we traditionally do, but I don't think we have the players to suit this kind of system. Also, he usually stops his fullbacks from getting forward much at all, which would be a great shame for us with Rafael and Fabio coming through they could be such an asset to have bombing forward.

They are the only negatives I see. People call him arogent but I like the guy, and I think he uses that arogance to gain respect from his players.

The main positives with him are:

Proven success: Look at where he's been, Porto he won the Champions League, Eufa Cup and Portugese league. Chelsea he won 6 trophies in 2 seasons including back to back league titles, and went out of the Champions league to a dodgy Liverpool goal. Inter Milan he is definitely going to win their league - and you could argue he went out of Europe in the last 16, but it was to the reining champions who have a much better team.

Character to succeed Ferguson:
I think only him and Capello in world football have the necessary personality to take over from Ferguson and command instant and unconditional respect from the players. This will help us to carry on winning ways, rather than maybe having a quiet year or so.

Experience in what we need: Think about it, everything we want to win, he has won, he knows how to do it. Premiership, Champions League, FA Cup, he's done it and who's bet against him doing it here?

Age: Its easy to forget with all his experience that he is still a young man, and potentially could stay here winning trophies for years IF he sorted out the first negative I mentioned which was that he hasn't got a track record of building for the future.

Tactical excellence: Whether you like his football or not, his tactics invariably bring success and you can only applaud that in a manager.

O'Neill is a completely different manager altogether, but nevertheless a good option for us:

The negatives I see with O'Neill are:

Character to replace Fergie: It will be deficult for big players who have won big things to respect O'Neill straight away like they did for Fergie, which could cause us to have a quiet period, maybe a year or so, but I think he would come good eventually

Lack of Experience in necesarry trophies: O'Neill has not been in a Premiership title race before, he has not competed for the Champions League and he has not won the Fa Cup. Could prove a downfall as he would need to be learning many things along the way himself.

However there are many poitives:

Bringing through young players: To have continued success at a club you need to be taking young players and improving them into top players. O'Neill has done this on many an occasion, the prime examples in his current squad are Young and Agbonlohor this season - Agbonlohor was just a kid in the youth team when he arrived but now he is an established Premiership goalscorer, Ashley Young was just a kid with a little bit of skill at Watford when O'Neill bought him, now he's a world class winger who is no doubt being tracked by some of the big clubs. But you only have the look at the way Barry, Milner and countless other players has improved under O'Neill to realise he is an expert at improving footballers.

Tendancy to like home grown players: This may just seem like an irrelevent preference for now, but if the '6+5' rule does come in, it will be vital to have many Englishmen in the team.

Building a team: O'Neill does not just buy good players and try to fit them into a system *robbie keane*, he is a genious at selecting exactly the right players, within his budget, to create his team and a winning system. This is important as some managers would go to a club with money to spend, and just spend money on big names without really considering how exactly they will fit in, and they can have very negative results.

Good tactically: His tactics are always solid in both attack and defense, do not rely on long balls, are adaptive to different situations and get the best out of his players. Without maybe being a genious tactically, his teams are always very very good.

Its really a very close call for me between the two of them. I don't see anybody else realisticly being involved. I can see Ferguson and Charlton being the two main people judging who the manager should be, and Ferguson siding with Mourinho while Charlton I think would side with O'Neill.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
O neil is overrated big time, he has been building a good side for sure with villa and doing it the right way, but the guy still hasnt been at a top top club and handled world class players. dont anyone give me the he's done it with celtic rubbish- i could manage them to a league title and so could my granny.....and she's been dead 10 years :)

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
O neil is overrated big time, he has been building a good side for sure with villa and doing it the right way, but the guy still hasnt been at a top top club and handled world class players. dont anyone give me the he's done it with celtic rubbish- i could manage them to a league title and so could my granny.....and she's been dead 10 years :)
I think Martin O'Neill is a brillant manager..
Ok he hasn't managed a top class club like United, but everywhere he's being he's done a pretty good job.. Celtic are a top side where he was a huge success and where he was under pressure to deliver the league title each season.. Also a UEFA Cup Final with an average team!!

He had everyone beliving Villa were going to break the "Big 4" for most of the season, unfortunatley it looks like they won't now.. But he has developed some good young players and made some good buys since his arrival at Aston Villa..!

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I still don't know about him, for me its between him and O'Neill and recently I've been siding towards O'Neill but now I think about Mourinho its balances out again.

The stumbling blocks of Mourinho for me are:

The short-termism of his management: He has no track record for planning for the future. He can bring instant success in the present no doubt, but look whats happened at Chelsea, they didn't plan for the future and now they're a shadow of what they used to be. However in the past few days he has said he wants to be bringing players through the youth ranks at Inter and buying young Italian players to build for the future so hopefully he's changing on that one.

The long ball football: Even though he did play excellent football with Duff & Rooben on the wings, there's no doubt he does often use long ball football. Which not only isn't what we traditionally do, but I don't think we have the players to suit this kind of system. Also, he usually stops his fullbacks from getting forward much at all, which would be a great shame for us with Rafael and Fabio coming through they could be such an asset to have bombing forward.

They are the only negatives I see. People call him arogent but I like the guy, and I think he uses that arogance to gain respect from his players.

The main positives with him are:

Proven success: Look at where he's been, Porto he won the Champions League, Eufa Cup and Portugese league. Chelsea he won 6 trophies in 2 seasons including back to back league titles, and went out of the Champions league to a dodgy Liverpool goal. Inter Milan he is definitely going to win their league - and you could argue he went out of Europe in the last 16, but it was to the reining champions who have a much better team.

Character to succeed Ferguson:
I think only him and Capello in world football have the necessary personality to take over from Ferguson and command instant and unconditional respect from the players. This will help us to carry on winning ways, rather than maybe having a quiet year or so.

Experience in what we need: Think about it, everything we want to win, he has won, he knows how to do it. Premiership, Champions League, FA Cup, he's done it and who's bet against him doing it here?

Age: Its easy to forget with all his experience that he is still a young man, and potentially could stay here winning trophies for years IF he sorted out the first negative I mentioned which was that he hasn't got a track record of building for the future.

Tactical excellence: Whether you like his football or not, his tactics invariably bring success and you can only applaud that in a manager.

O'Neill is a completely different manager altogether, but nevertheless a good option for us:

The negatives I see with O'Neill are:

Character to replace Fergie: It will be deficult for big players who have won big things to respect O'Neill straight away like they did for Fergie, which could cause us to have a quiet period, maybe a year or so, but I think he would come good eventually

Lack of Experience in necesarry trophies: O'Neill has not been in a Premiership title race before, he has not competed for the Champions League and he has not won the Fa Cup. Could prove a downfall as he would need to be learning many things along the way himself.

However there are many poitives:

Bringing through young players: To have continued success at a club you need to be taking young players and improving them into top players. O'Neill has done this on many an occasion, the prime examples in his current squad are Young and Agbonlohor this season - Agbonlohor was just a kid in the youth team when he arrived but now he is an established Premiership goalscorer, Ashley Young was just a kid with a little bit of skill at Watford when O'Neill bought him, now he's a world class winger who is no doubt being tracked by some of the big clubs. But you only have the look at the way Barry, Milner and countless other players has improved under O'Neill to realise he is an expert at improving footballers.

Tendancy to like home grown players: This may just seem like an irrelevent preference for now, but if the '6+5' rule does come in, it will be vital to have many Englishmen in the team.

Building a team: O'Neill does not just buy good players and try to fit them into a system *robbie keane*, he is a genious at selecting exactly the right players, within his budget, to create his team and a winning system. This is important as some managers would go to a club with money to spend, and just spend money on big names without really considering how exactly they will fit in, and they can have very negative results.

Good tactically: His tactics are always solid in both attack and defense, do not rely on long balls, are adaptive to different situations and get the best out of his players. Without maybe being a genious tactically, his teams are always very very good.

Its really a very close call for me between the two of them. I don't see anybody else realisticly being involved. I can see Ferguson and Charlton being the two main people judging who the manager should be, and Ferguson siding with Mourinho while Charlton I think would side with O'Neill.
Great points Richie. Especially, with regard to Martin O'Neill I think. Does he have that all important aura that great managers like Fergie, Mourinho, Shankly, Busby and Wenger had amongst their players. It was blatantly obvious that the likes of Terry and Lampard were in absolute love with Mourinho. He was like a father to them. And even though there has been a lot of talk about the Mourinho V Ronaldo rivalry in the press, I think once Mourinho arrives at Old traffoed, both would have no problem in burying the hatchet. In fact both are characters that exude that absolute arrogance, so I believe that both could possibly even form a relationship similar to the bond which Keane and Fergie once forged. And this thought about Mourinho not promoting the youth is absolutely absurd in my opinion. Look at Balotelli and Santon. They will be stars at both Inter and Italy for years to come.

TBH, I would hate it if O'Neill ended up managing here. He appears to crumble under pressure as we have seen this year and we all know what his relationship is like with their star player : Gareth Barry. He is probably the biggest personality at the club. Compare that to the plethora of big names at Old Trafford : Rio, Vida, Ronaldo Rooney, Berba etc. All bigger than Barry will ever be. So, would O'Neill be able to handle these differently to the way in which he handled Barry. I don't honestly think so.

For me, Mourinho is the only man who could possibly do as good a job as Fergie.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I think Martin O'Neill is a brillant manager..
Ok he hasn't managed a top class club like United, but everywhere he's being he's done a pretty good job.. Celtic are a top side where he was a huge success and where he was under pressure to deliver the league title each season.. Also a UEFA Cup Final with an average team!!

He had everyone beliving Villa were going to break the "Big 4" for most of the season, unfortunatley it looks like they won't now.. But he has developed some good young players and made some good buys since his arrival at Aston Villa..!
i think o neil is a gr8 manager....just not united class- at least yet!

there is still a difference between what he did at celtic and what he would have to do at united. i think the squad he is building at villa is amazing, but even there he has still made some fundamental erorrs with his buys ( marlon harewood and a few others) and when it cam down to it in january villa were still really short in terms of squad players and big name stars he failed to give villa the boost they needed to push on. they wern't lots of players available but just buying heskey was a big mistake- they at least needed some loan signings to bolster their push.

if he has success with villa then yes i have a lot of time for him, but in tgerms of what united are looking for at the moment a 100% no from me

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
i think o neil is a gr8 manager....just not united class- at least yet!

there is still a difference between what he did at celtic and what he would have to do at united. i think the squad he is building at villa is amazing, but even there he has still made some fundamental erorrs with his buys ( marlon harewood and a few others) and when it cam down to it in january villa were still really short in terms of squad players and big name stars he failed to give villa the boost they needed to push on. they wern't lots of players available but just buying heskey was a big mistake- they at least needed some loan signings to bolster their push.

if he has success with villa then yes i have a lot of time for him, but in tgerms of what united are looking for at the moment a 100% no from me
Yeah I agree that O'Neill might not have the character for United and may not be able to deal with world class players.. But I still think he's a top manager who could do a job for us..

I would love to see Mourinho as united manager:)..

I just hope that when Fergie leaves us:frown: we replace him with who SAF himself wants and that the replacement is a sucess!!!
Don't want the same thing happening to us like Chelsea where they have been going through manager after manager since Mourinho left them..!

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Great points Richie. Especially, with regard to Martin O'Neill I think. Does he have that all important aura that great managers like Fergie, Mourinho, Shankly, Busby and Wenger had amongst their players. It was blatantly obvious that the likes of Terry and Lampard were in absolute love with Mourinho. He was like a father to them. And even though there has been a lot of talk about the Mourinho V Ronaldo rivalry in the press, I think once Mourinho arrives at Old traffoed, both would have no problem in burying the hatchet. In fact both are characters that exude that absolute arrogance, so I believe that both could possibly even form a relationship similar to the bond which Keane and Fergie once forged. And this thought about Mourinho not promoting the youth is absolutely absurd in my opinion. Look at Balotelli and Santon. They will be stars at both Inter and Italy for years to come.

TBH, I would hate it if O'Neill ended up managing here. He appears to crumble under pressure as we have seen this year and we all know what his relationship is like with their star player : Gareth Barry. He is probably the biggest personality at the club. Compare that to the plethora of big names at Old Trafford : Rio, Vida, Ronaldo Rooney, Berba etc. All bigger than Barry will ever be. So, would O'Neill be able to handle these differently to the way in which he handled Barry. I don't honestly think so.

For me, Mourinho is the only man who could possibly do as good a job as Fergie.
You've got it right about the 'aura' of Mourinho, aparently several of his players were in tears when he left, they would do anything for their manager and they showed that when they went on the pitch for him.

But I disagree about O'Neill. I don't think he crumbles under pressure at all, he's had some excellent performances against the big teams so far, the reason they have fell is because they have only used something ridiculous like 16 or 17 players all season and clearly they are just shattered.

His relationship with Barry is actually a good one, thats why he's prepared to listen to offers of the right price for him, because he knows throughout his career Barry has always been loyal to Villa and doesn't want to deny him the oportunity. There is alot of mutual respect between him and all of his players. Thats why even though Barry didn't get his transfer he's come back and has been playing better than ever really - which says something - because normally when a player wants to leave and doesn't he doesn't play as well again. So really both Mourinho and O'Neill have excellent man-management skills.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
You've got it right about the 'aura' of Mourinho, aparently several of his players were in tears when he left, they would do anything for their manager and they showed that when they went on the pitch for him.

But I disagree about O'Neill. I don't think he crumbles under pressure at all, he's had some excellent performances against the big teams so far, the reason they have fell is because they have only used something ridiculous like 16 or 17 players all season and clearly they are just shattered.

His relationship with Barry is actually a good one, thats why he's prepared to listen to offers of the right price for him, because he knows throughout his career Barry has always been loyal to Villa and doesn't want to deny him the oportunity. There is alot of mutual respect between him and all of his players. Thats why even though Barry didn't get his transfer he's come back and has been playing better than ever really - which says something - because normally when a player wants to leave and doesn't he doesn't play as well again. So really both Mourinho and O'Neill have excellent man-management skills.

his relationship with barry isn't that great and barry is only there as he hhas to be not by choice

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Its funny, recently I've been thinking O'Neill would be my top choice, but in the process of making that big post I've switched and am now currently favouring Mourinho!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts