Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sir Alex Ferguson has publicly hailed him as the truly outstanding Player of this Season.

Now Ryan Giggs has received an astonishing, historic tribute from Jose Mourinho, the Inter Milan coach.

Mourinho saw Giggs at close quarters in the San Siro last week as Manchester United visited on Champions League duty. The Special One's verdict on the 35 year-old Welshman is euphoric.

"What can you say about a man who has won ten Premier League titles? The proof is in his medals," said Mourinho.

"Yes, maybe we are talking about the greatest Premier League player of all time.

"At the very least no player has contributed so much to a single Premier League club as Ryan Giggs has to Manchester United."

Mourinho guided Chelsea to back-to-back titles during his time at Stamford Bridge and is well aware that in saluting Giggs he is placing the United star on a pedestal above the likes of Alan Shearer, Eric Cantona and Gianfranco Zola.

But it's the way Giggs has revealed a new talent this season as a central midfield schemer that has particularly impressed Mourinho.

It may be 19 years in December since Giggs made his League debut for United as a flying left winger but the way the player has blossomed in so many different roles

Mourinho explained: "He has found new life in central midfield this season, and I think that has been very important for United’s season.

"At 35 he is going to have lost some of his pace of course but Sir Alex has been very clever playing him in a new position and like we have seen in the past with players like Zola, Bergkamp and Zidane- quality shines through beyond age."

It's easy to forget that there have been times - in the not too distant past - where some people around Old Trafford have questioned Giggs' future. It's a matter of record that former assistant manasge Carlos Quieroz questioned the player's long term future at the club in the days when David Beckham was moving on.

Many United stars of the day werer astonished by Quieroz's criticism. They knew Giggs, like any player, might have his off days but they were honest nightmares!

There have also been days when Giggs has been the target for terrace catcalls..

That criticism never degenerated into a sustained anti-Giggs campaign. He always resdiscovered his best form to silence them, often by reinventing him in a new role.

And even when boss Fergie has left Giggs waiting in the wings there has always been a return to action. Giggs has never let his manager down. That's why he's heading towards 800 first team appearances for the club and has overtaken the legendary Sir Bobby Charlton with most appearances for United.

Mourinho recognises that this could be a momentous year for United - and Giggs - as they chase unprecedented honours.

He ended: "They have their young, wonderful players like Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney but who knows, maybe it will be Giggs who makes the difference for them in the Premier and Europe this season."

Ryan Giggs is the best ever Premier League player, says Jose Mourinho. Do you agree? - mirror.co.uk

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/02/28/ryan-giggs-is-the-best-ever-premier-league-player-says-jose-mourinho-do-you-agree-115875-21160147/

Really interesting read. Trying to understand his motives other than honesty though. Is it some obscure mind games? Or maybe he has his eye on the United job when Fergie leaves and is sweet talking us? Maybe he is just awestruck from our performance against them in Milan?

·
HODOR!
7,033 Posts
IMO he is the greatest premier league player with the way he has played for all these years along with the amount he's won

Z

·
0 Posts
There's no competition really. He's been one of the best players in the league for almost two decades. The way he handles himself off the pitch is always nice to see as well. The word 'legend' is thrown around too freely these days, but I can't think of a player that deserves it more than Giggs.

·
Registered
605 Posts
i couldnt see much of cantona because he retired when i was 4yrs old

i have seen a lot of giggsy and he is the best premier league player i've ever seen

·
Registered
629 Posts
Well for once we all will agree Mourinho. Whether he is just being honest or playing some sort of mind games is hard to tell.

Giggs has been phenomenal for us for a long time and I'm glad that he is getting so much praise from people this year. He has been fantastic for us always and especially this season.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Giggs is the graetest ever yes i agree

maybe hes not as great as henry or cantona at their best but he have been amazing for 19 years while kinds of henry only been good for few years

Giggs is a LEGEND

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
medals don't lie and giggsy has got 10 of them , soon to be 11 nobody will ever get near that number of premiership wins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts