Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jose Mourinho has revealed that the signing of Andriy Shevchenko for Chelsea in 2006 was not his choice, and tries to explain why the Ukrainian flopped so badly at Stamford Bridge.

Shevchenko arrived at Chelsea from Milan in the summer of 2006 for a whopping €45m, and he was expected to set the Premiership alight after coming with a reputation as one of the world's best strikers.

However, the former Dynamo Kiev hero proved to be one of the most expensive and disastrous flops in the history of the English game as he managed just nine league goals in two seasons.

Inter coach Mourinho, who was manager at Chelsea when Shevchenko arrived, has attempted to explain why he failed to live up to expectations.

"He was like a prince in Milan and at Chelsea our philosophy was different, we had no princes,†‘The Special One' told Ford's Feelfootball.com.

“Everybody needs to work like everybody else and everybody needs to prove he deserves to play.

"I think maybe he lost some self-confidence. Step by step a player goes in the wrong direction."

Mourinho also confirmed suspicions that he never wanted to sign Shevchenko, with the Ukrainian being the baby of Chelsea billionaire owner Roman Abramovich.

"He was not my first option but the club gave him to me as a second option," said the Portuguese, who left Chelsea by mutual consent in September 2007.

"I believe in the future he will again be a player of high quality. The truth is I never had a single personal problem with him and I wish him well for the future."

Shevchenko ended his nightmare at Chelsea at the weekend when he secured a return to former club Milan.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I saw this on Goal.com under the comments about this very article, Mourinho claims he never wanted Sheva but this quotable quote may haunt him. :D

Shevchenko, who reportedly fell out with Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti last season, revealed the chance to work with Chelsea Jose Mourinho was also a factor in his decision.

"I have followed Mr Mourinho's career carefully for the last few years and have been hugely impressed with the way he manages.

"He puts team ethic before individual expression which is the way I believe great teams are created."

Mourinho was delighted to finally land the striker he has courted for some time.

"Today is a day when the dream became reality.

"Andriy has always been my first choice for Chelsea since I arrived. Before it was not possible, now it is for real. He has great qualities, ambition, discipline, tactical awareness and of course he is a great goalscorer.

"I did not need to meet with him to convince him about Chelsea, in the same way we did not need to talk a lot about why I wanted him. Everybody knows him as a player, tactically he can play in the Chelsea system, no doubt."

Link to Quote: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/s/214/214634_chelsea_sign_sheva.html

Z

·
0 Posts
It's a shame what happened to Shevchenko at Chelsea.
He was one of the finest strikers in the world but Chelsea
ruined him like they have ruined so many other quality players.

I hope he gets back to his best at Milan because I used
to love watching him play. It would be sweet if he scored
the winner against inter in the Milan derby to show Mourinho
what he can do :cool:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
"Andriy has always been my first choice for Chelsea since I arrived. Before it was not possible, now it is for real. He has great qualities, ambition, discipline, tactical awareness and of course he is a great goalscorer"

Moaninho thought too much of poor Sheva. Not even the Ukraine Hurricane could score from the bench. He had to be on the pitch as the rest of the mortal players.:rolleyes:

Good though Sheva got a few quids every week so he had something to do while sitting at the bench, counting them.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Chelsea is a graveyard for players........ think of all the players that come out the worst when the move there.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
Chelsea is a graveyard for players........ think of all the players that come out the worst when the move there.
hold on sweetie..what about the likes of ballack.makelele..they are still as fit as ...not a straight forward case of chelsea being a player graveyard.mourinho is a great manager..with a great big mouth..:D

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
red lady said:
hold on sweetie..what about the likes of ballack.makelele..they are still as fit as ...not a straight forward case of chelsea being a player graveyard.mourinho is a great manager..with a great big mouth..:D
They are top players i agree Red Lady;)

but Ivanovic, Alex, Duff, SWP, Sheva, Kezmen to name a few have all done bad when the went to Chelsea.
The club doesnt care about any player or anybody, they just want to over take us as the greatest club

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
red lady said:
cheski too many millions lady anelka sheva shaun wright etc

what happen to them to many millions on water lol hahaha

:cool:
when there is too many captain in a boat it sink lol
:p:p

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Ritesh MU said:
cheski too many millions lady anelka sheva shaun wright etc

what happen to them to many millions on water lol hahaha

:cool:
when there is too many captain in a boat it sink lol
:p:p
donrt get me started my lad..swp was a big fish in a small pond at city.at chelsea he's a small fish in a giant lake.duff was terrific at chelsea.alex is a cracking player.
its not important anyway.mourinho was great there,but he's still a good manager with a chip on his shoulder.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
red lady said:
donrt get me started my lad..swp was a big fish in a small pond at city.at chelsea he's a small fish in a giant lake.duff was terrific at chelsea.alex is a cracking player.
its not important anyway.mourinho was great there,but he's still a good manager with a chip on his shoulder.
duff was where is he now hehehe :p

and if tomorrow rona7do say he want to play for cheski lol

surely this mad fellow will even get him for 150 m£:p:p

well our third kits is blue hehehe

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
"There are no princes at this club"

...2 weeks earlier.

"I'm the special one, god bless me as I am fantastic"

I'm probably in the minority here, but I love the Special One, he's so charismatic.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Ritesh MU said:
duff was where is he now hehehe :p

and if tomorrow rona7do say he want to play for cheski lol

surely this mad fellow will even get him for 150 m£:p:p

well our third kits is blue hehehe

surely the fact that duff..who is now at NEWCASTLE says it all..if chelsea is a graveyard club..he should have played out his career there.
ronnie would never go there any way,so why worry.
it seems to me,that you want to have your opinions and no one else's ritesh my lad.
as for a third blue kit...that matters because ?????:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts