Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jose Mourinho has revealed that he regrets a decision he took at the end of last season to turn down ‘one of the greatest clubs in Europe' in order to remain at Chelsea.

Former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho regrets declining the chance to manage a 'great' club while he was still at Stamford Bridge. The Special One left the Blues abruptly in September and has yet to take up a new role in football, despite having been linked with several high profile posts including Barcelona, Real Madrid, Milan, Inter and England.

His future remains unclear, but he told The Daily Telegraph: "I made a mistake not to leave Chelsea at the end of last season.

"I had an offer from one of the greatest clubs in Europe but I preferred to stay in London because I promised the fans that I won't leave on my own initiative, and four months later I was fired. Now I understand that I probably shouldn't have missed such an opportunity."

It is thought that Real Madrid might have been the club Mourinho declined. They sacked Fabio Capello at the end of last season, despite winning La Liga. Capello is now England manager, but former Porto and Chelsea boss Mourinho could have been in that post, too, following Steve McClaren's dismissal.

"I had a very tempting offer [from England] but I rejected it," he said. “Working with a national team isn't interesting for me. I like training on a daily basis, games every week or even better three times a week.

“I'm not 60. I'm only 45. So it wasn't the point that it was team England. Working for any national team would mean rejecting something much more interesting."

Last week Mourinho's successor at Stamford Bridge, Avram Grant, went one better than the Portuguese tactician by guiding Chelsea to their first ever Champions League final.

However, Mourinho is not envious. "I do not accept such feelings," he told The Telegraph. "In my opinion only weak people, losers, have such feelings. So what if Chelsea win the Champions League? I won it too. So what if they win the Premier League or the cup? I won that too.

"Since I left the club I have never said a word about why. There are no problems between me and Roman Abramovich and our relations are completely clear. We keep in touch and we do not forget the time we worked together."

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Akshay said:
quite obviously it was real
As long as he's not dropping the name he could be keeping up the PR-work to keep the buzz around his name. Now when Avram Grant have taken Chelsea to the CL final. A final Chelsea never reached with him in charge.:cool:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
No doubt it was Real.

Mind you, I don't know how Real would take to him. He used to be Barcas assistant, and they want good football. Jose Mourinho isn't famed for exciting football shall we say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts