Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Now get into new members, introduce yourself, get posting and join the best and widest United family. :)

·
Banned
836 Posts
Being a Manchester United fan I'm proud of our history and heritage and the Munich air disaster is an important part of our history and that built our fanbase all around the world.
And the fact we won the European cup 10 years later makes the story more heroic and compelling.

Another reason I'm proud to support this club.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Munich stamp issued by Irish postal service

The Irish postal service is marking the 50th anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster with a stamp of Dublin-born Manchester United star Liam Whelan.

Twenty three people including eight footballers died in the air crash on February 6, 1958.

"The Munich Air Disaster brought human tragedy, grief and loss to the families of the 23 people, and an abiding loss to the sport of football," said a spokesman for the An Post service.
"In tribute, An Post is issuing a 55c stamp featuring a photograph of Liam Whelan in his player`s jersey, pictured next to the iconic image of the Munich Memorial Clock at Old Trafford."

The stamp is designed by Dublin firm, RMG Target and is available at post offices nationwide.

One of Sir Matt Busby`s "Busby Babes", Whelan moved to Manchester at 18 and went on to win the League Championships in 1955-56 and 1956-57.

He was the top goal scorer in 1956-57 with 26 goals from 39 appearances in one season.

In total he scored 52 goals from 96 appearances during his short career with Manchester United.

Some 20,000 mourners attended his funeral in Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin.

http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=87316&pt=n

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
It deserves its own thread carly I think.

Very nice idea and thought. Also the Irish newspaper coverage of the Munich disaster has being very well done and very sincere.

They Sunday Tribune Sports magazine featured a 4 or 5 page spread explaining everything about the crash and also with comments from relatives of the dead and lots of other details.

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Keano4taoiseach said:
It deserves its own thread carly I think.

Very nice idea and thought. Also the Irish newspaper coverage of the Munich disaster has being very well done and very sincere.

They Sunday Tribune Sports magazine featured a 4 or 5 page spread explaining everything about the crash and also with comments from relatives of the dead and lots of other details.
As long as the philatelists are happy - then so am I ... ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts