1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
United reported over prices
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12047_4520058,00.html

Group goes to OFT over compulsory cup scheme

Manchester United have been reported to the Office of Fair Trading by a group of their own fans.

The Manchester United Supporters Trust (MUST) has lodged official papers with the OFT claiming the Red Devils have 'breached its statutory and legal obligations to season ticket holders'.

The group, formerly known as Shareholders United, vehemently opposed Malcolm Glazer's takeover of the club in 2005,

MUST's argument centres on the compulsory cup scheme, which forces season ticket holders to agree in advance to buy tickets for cup games.

At one point all season ticket holders had to pay for all cup matches but this has now been relaxed to exclude Carling Cup games.

However, MUST still claims United are acting unlawfully given what they view as a dominant position in the market and the fact that fans do not transfer their allegiance just because the club acts in a way they do not like.

Specifically, MUST's three complaints are:

... United's season ticket terms and conditions are in breach of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999.

... Their compulsory automatic cup ticket scheme is in breach of The Competition Act 1998, Part II, Section 18(2).

... Their pricing policy is in breach of The Competition Act 1998.

In addition, they argue that massive ticket price rises in recent years contravene a pledge given by Glazer in the build-up to his takeover attempt.

"Over recent years we have seen unfair terms and huge ticket price rises imposed on supporters by club owners taking advantage of their loyalty," said MUST chief executive Duncan Drasdo.

"For a long time Manchester United was by no means the worst offender having previously had an admirable policy of keeping prices relatively low despite the success of the club. All that changed when the Glazers took over.

"However now, with the help of a team of eminent competition lawyers, economists and experts in sports law, we have been able to compile a comprehensive complaint based on Competition and Contract Law, which could have welcome consequences for supporters at clubs throughout the country."

Manchester United have yet to respond to news of the group's complaint.

·
Registered
273 Posts
you clearly dont understand what they are talking about then.
season tickets should be for league games only
not champions league games. not fa cup and defernetly not carling cup.
the ticket prices have been rediculus for years, thats why f.c untied was started.
£30 for QPR in a tin pot cup is stupid.
ive been priced out and now watch Altrincham because i refuse to pay stupid prices to watch football.
people need to stop paying stupid prices so united can understand that the fans wont stand for it

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
you had a season ticket for thirty years and supported the club even when you could not really aford to .

then over the space of three years your ticket went up by 62 per cent and you had to buy cupp tickets as well regardless of wether you could afford it or could get to the game .

you would rightfully be miffed .

yes middle class johnny is happy to pay what you cant afford so takes your ticket ---- ten years on with johnny now watching basketball or rugby instead and with no younger fans able to afford crazy prices club fills ground with one off visitors and competition winners etc and everyone asks what happened to the atmostphere - 25 years on nobody goes to football anymore and game dies a slow death 35 years on football back to its roots with realistic pricing and proper fans .

bundesliga have it right on this ticket prices even for big games rarely go over the ten euro mark and many clubs arrange free transport to the games !!!

ok they may not challenge for champions league any more but does the fan care ?

football is fashionable at present so they can charge what they like and still fill the ground --- its now seen like going to a west end show and the prices are pitched the same .----- lets see what happens if the credit crunch really bites

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
Fair play to them United are charging ridiculous prices for the Carlin Cup and teams like Arsenal are selling tickets for around 12 pound

S

·
0 Posts
CaptainRoyKeane said:
I agree, just saw this on SkySports News, and im like theres plenty of United supporters would by them! Stop monaing and start Supporting!
cmufcs said:
why the **** buy them then im sure some one else will gladly buy them
Typical of some of our support these days.:rolleyes:
Never mind that your fellow reds are getting ripped off.
Don't worry about the fact that supporters that have paid hundreds
of pounds for their season tickets already are forced ( yes, FORCED) to agree
to buy further tickets for extra games, even if they cannot get to the game
through work etc.
Did you know that MUST are representing 34,000 members with this action ?

Let me guess, it doesn't affect you so you're not bothered.

·
Registered
31 Posts
this is why i dont post on this bloody forum, half the people on it are day trippers. I attend all of MUST's chubb clubs and what they stand for is correct.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
LewisJH said:
this is why i dont post on this bloody forum, half the people on it are day trippers. I attend all of MUST's chubb clubs and what they stand for is correct.
you should post and put them right . while we are winning they will still fill ground - what happens when saf retires and we falter a bit ? half of them will be off to pastures new . to put a different slant on things though united season ticket holders used to moan like mad that they had to enter ballot for cup games and had only 1 in 6 chance of getting ticket ,i remember buzz in red issue all the time moaning about that plus you can always flog ticket on viagogo if you cant make the game

·
Registered
273 Posts
exactly why i havent posted in months got fed up of people who say they "surpport united" and dont have a clue

but back to the piont the ticket prices are why i go very rarely.
£40 one united game
£40 seven altrincham games

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
CaptainRoyKeane said:
I agree, just saw this on SkySports News, and im like theres plenty of United supporters would by them! Stop monaing and start Supporting!
cmufcs said:
why the **** buy them then im sure some one else will gladly buy them
:mad: :mad:

you don't have a clue. you really dont.
i know people who live walking distance from OT who have had there season tickets years and years and years ago.for a 40 year old to be priced out of owning a season ticket because of all this is appalling.the club runs in his blood, and the past 2 seasons (because of the ACS mainly) he has had to give them up.

for 99% of people(including me) watching it on the tv is no bother.but not to people who have grown up with united, week in week out through the 70's,80's and 90's.the club only cares about money.end of story.
i hope the arse falls out of football soon, especially with the economy as it is now.and when prices do drop, and the ACS is gone for good, the REAL fans will get hold of tickets again.
and the two quoted really cannot be classed as REAL fans.REAL fans support each other (just as MUST are doing.)

RANT OVER (i think)...........

im a ST holder, and i pay for the ACS. Im not going to complain about it because i knew what i was getting myself in for in the first place.my only quarm with it personally is that they take the money out when they want with no warning.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I guess the club has to start reducing tickets... More will rather stay home to watch and quietly support... Having increase by so much since the take over is hard on fans... Hope they will readjust the pricing soon...

CAUSE I'M VISITING THEM NEXT SEASON...

S

·
0 Posts
Definitions of the word UNITED.

To put together so as to make one;
to join together, as two or more
to connect;
to unite as a whole;
to unite people into one army;
to join by a legal or moral bond, as families by marriage, nations by treaty, men by opinions; to join in interest, affection, fellowship, or the like; to cause to agree; to harmonize; to associate; to attach.
United as one individual.

I can get at least two free tickets to every home game, have ways and means ( and know enough people) to get tickets (pay for them) to most aways, so the price of tickets doesn't affect me in any way whatsoever.

But...I am UNITED with the supporters who it does affect, don't walk round with my eyes shut and don't tell supporters " stop moaning and pay up".

I will support any fight alongside fellow reds and it's about time certain elements of our support decided if they are in it for theirselves or are really UNITED supporters.

( rant over).

Red_Devil28, according to United there was a 20,000 ( 5 yr ) waiting list for season tickets last year. Then all of a sudden it dropped to 6,000.
Begining of this season there was NO waiting list. :eek:
You can phone up today or go to OT and get a season ticket. ( dont believe me ? phone today and see).
Every day ex season ticket holders get emails/letters/phone calls from the
ticket office offering 2,4,6,8 season tickets.
I've not had a season ticket for about 8 years but i still get emails/letters/phone calls.
Thousands have stopped buying them. Makes no difference.
As long as Mr AA BB CC, his wife and 3 kids will pay £250 for tickets, £50 on food/drinks and £500 in the megawhore on crap stuff like United toilet roll ( yeah wipe your arse on United) .

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
It is a rip off and , stop the rant on here. You now believe that you are the only supporters and the rest arent fans ? I agree we have plastic supporters but this is not the way to behave to fellow reds.

I have never attended a United game at OT , and mostly the day may not come. I live very far away from United but does that mean I dont share the passion ? No... Stop making such statements. Post if you want to on here. Not because you hate "such fans".

Coming to the point , I know its a rip off and things are too costly. Buying a United Shirt and merchandise over here costs a fortune . MUST have done what should have been done.

Finally , NO you do not become fans if you visit MUST meetings

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
So what whats the word from Mr G's office about the prices?

And yes, I love when ppl look down on daytrippers....A-class fans and B-class fans...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts