Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying my first car soon and i'm wondering if you lot can help me out as i'm not very sharp when it comes to cars.

I have about £2k to spend. I don't know what will be that good for me though. I would something that is fairly affordable to run, something i'll be able to get insured on at a reasonable price and something that doesn't look like a piece of garbage. Power steering is an absolute must.

I was looking at Ford KAs earlier today but i want to keep my options open. So any thoughts?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
RichardsReds said:
Well helpful mate!
Keep your knickers on Richy :rolleyes:

I was just kidding, I know shag all about cars so Ill leave it to the experts,
who will no doubt be along soon Richy.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
for 2grand personally id have a 206 (although they are hairdressers cars)

should get one for your price range between 1999-2002

but if its your 1st car you might be best to sticking to a cheaper car...such as a punto,corsa, saxo and save the rest on insurance as it will be LOADS!

it may seem obvious but the key things you should look for are....

-low mileage
-long mot
-long tax
-good shell....if theres any damage on bodywork knock the price down.
-interior clean and tidy with all electrics working.
-check tire tread
-try and get service history, that way the mileage is for real.

hope some of this helps.
may seem common sense but ya gotta be on the safe side :)

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all that.

Do any saxos have power steering?

Whats the coolest car out of the ones above? I was thinking of a 206 but am i likely to get slated by my mates for having that?

Got a corsa on the drive now and i'm planning on getting rid of it mainly cos of the lack of power steering. Really frustates me not having it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
RichardsReds said:
Thanks for all that.

Do any saxos have power steering?

Whats the coolest car out of the ones above? I was thinking of a 206 but am i likely to get slated by my mates for having that?

Got a corsa on the drive now and i'm planning on getting rid of it mainly cos of the lack of power steering. Really frustates me not having it.

ya can get saxo's with power steering.BUT they are like sheds (not safe if you do crash) and i hate the interior.

at the moment i have a 2000 punto(as i wrote off my mg ZR) which has power steering AND a city mode which is extra light power steering!

Punto's are prone to head gasket though....which costs £200-£400 skim and replace.

its whatever your preference is though...and i have a punto and i don't get much stick of mates...if you got a KA, that would warrant ripping someone in my opinion.

puntos, corsas, saxos and 106, 206's are fine in my eyes....but as i said before...personal preference

·
Banned
503 Posts
Try AutoMart or get down to a car auction, just make sure you go for a diesel & don't go for a car with a big engine, this way it will be cheaper to run regarding your insurance & fuel

AutoMart

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Dynamite said:
Try AutoMart or get down to a car auction, just make sure you go for a diesel & don't go for a car with a big engine, this way it will be cheaper to run regarding your insurance & fuel

AutoMart
car auctions are class but at the same time is guess work..coz ya dont know what ya buying!
autotrader is the obvious one i would use

·
Banned
503 Posts
burnzy1987 said:
car auctions are class but at the same time is guess work..coz ya dont know what ya buying!
autotrader is the obvious one i would use
Take a friend along with you to the car auctions who knows his cars

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
RichardsReds said:
how do find car auctions?
have a search on google.

iv been to one in preston and one in manchester.

some websites give you an idea of what cars to expect aswell.

as dynamite says though, best taking a mechanic etc with you to be on the safe side

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-TOYOTA-YARIS-S-RED-48000-MILE-FULL-SERVICE-HISTORY_W0QQitemZ130219755895QQihZ003QQcategoryZ18290QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you want something 1 litre or thereabouts . jap cars are much more reliable than fiats , citroens etc . fiat stands for fix it again tony . insurance is crippling for young drivers so avoid the urge to go for bigger engine . there is nothing wrong with a ford ka . they are good to drive cheap to run and better than you may think . join an owners club if one exists as they can point you the way if parts insurance etc needed

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
RichardsReds said:
I'm looking at buying my first car soon and i'm wondering if you lot can help me out as i'm not very sharp when it comes to cars.

I have about £2k to spend. I don't know what will be that good for me though. I would something that is fairly affordable to run, something i'll be able to get insured on at a reasonable price and something that doesn't look like a piece of garbage. Power steering is an absolute must.

I was looking at Ford KAs earlier today but i want to keep my options open. So any thoughts?

Richy I work as a mechanical fitter on plant material and I can tell you a ford ka is the worst car on the road . If I was you Id go for a fiat punto cheap to tax run well and cheap to buy take my advice I owned one for my first car.

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
car auctions are no good anymore at your price point as they are full of latvians poles kosovans etc looking for cars and the prices are silly now . check your local paper and ebay first . service history is good as long as its backed with reciepts for the work done . i know a mot tester who will stamp up a book for an oil change so ensure the paperwork backs any history . old mots good news as you can see miles going on . really low mileage is bad news on a car as it means its only been used on short stop start journeys and this kills cars . checks to make .

does it start from cold ? if car is warm when you go for test drive ask why ?
does it start from warm ? is clutch ok . any smoke coming out back and if so what colour is it ? what colour is oil on dipstick . are there any oil leaks ? is the spare ok and does it have jack /tools . has it had paint ? pull up carpets in boot and pull back rubber seals on doors to check . i could give a list as long as your arm for checks . when you make mind up what model you want post back and i will post back with what goes wrong on the particular car you want

Z

·
0 Posts
fazman said:
Richy I work as a mechanical fitter on plant material and I can tell you a ford ka is the worst car on the road . If I was you Id go for a fiat punto cheap to tax run well and cheap to buy take my advice I owned one for my first car.
I bought my sister one of them and she's never had a problem with it. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts