Manchester United Talk banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts
I love the English national anthem, but then again i believe in God and like the monarchy :D I think when you have three verses its much better, powerful end with 'to sing with heart and voice, god save the queen!'... If we had to have a new one either Land of Hope and Glory, Jerusalem or I vow to thee my country... God i love last night of the proms :p

Mexicans, at the cry of war,
prepare the steel and the steed,
and may the earth shake at its core
to the resounding roar of the cannon.

Gird, oh country, your brow with olive
the divine archangel of peace,
for your eternal destiny was written
in the heavens by the hand of God.

But if some strange enemy should dare
to profane your ground with his step,
think, oh beloved country, that heaven
has given you a soldier in every son.

has given you a soldier in every son.

Mexicans, at the cry of war,
prepare the steel and the steed,

.....meh....

I love the english anthem.. I was i Germany in 2006 WC and watched England-Sweden on a big screen in cologne... Thousands of english fans singing "God save the queen".. It was unbelievable..

The danish anthem "There is a beatiful country" is quite boring...

This should be our national anthem

:rofl: I agree.

I don't particularly like 'God Save the Queen', it's slow and a real dirge. I respect the Queen as a deeply dignified woman who's good at what she does, but I'm a bit of an anti-monarchist. I love the history of it, but I think it's something of an anarchronism now. Authority is only valid when it's been voted in by the people, with government.

'Rule Britania' is much better, I'd much rather that was our anthem. 'Land of Hope and Glory' and 'Jerusalem' are nice, both better than GSTQ but not as good as "Ruuule Brittania, Brittania rule the waves, Britain will never, ever, ever be slaves!!" Now, that's got power. :cool:

I think the French national anthem is probably the best though, It's unbelievably powerful, amd if you consider what it represents as well. The French peasants actually storming the King's palace, getting rid of him, killing him and taking power for their own. Power to the people!

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.