Manchester United Talk banner

National Anthems.

5K views 77 replies 48 participants last post by  MariaG 
#1 ·
Am I the only one who gets chills every time they're played? Especially when you hear the crowd singing them. I actually learned how to sing the Italian one, just so I could sing one during EURO 2008 as I always sing the Star-Spangled Banner.

Your thoughts? Which country's anthem do you admire? Should the players sing it no matter what? Or is it a cultural thing? Discuss.

#77 ·
This should be our national anthem

:rofl: I agree.

I don't particularly like 'God Save the Queen', it's slow and a real dirge. I respect the Queen as a deeply dignified woman who's good at what she does, but I'm a bit of an anti-monarchist. I love the history of it, but I think it's something of an anarchronism now. Authority is only valid when it's been voted in by the people, with government.

'Rule Britania' is much better, I'd much rather that was our anthem. 'Land of Hope and Glory' and 'Jerusalem' are nice, both better than GSTQ but not as good as "Ruuule Brittania, Brittania rule the waves, Britain will never, ever, ever be slaves!!" Now, that's got power. :cool:

I think the French national anthem is probably the best though, It's unbelievably powerful, amd if you consider what it represents as well. The French peasants actually storming the King's palace, getting rid of him, killing him and taking power for their own. Power to the people!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.