Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aaron Ramseys recent 'snub' to United got asking myself a very interesting question: has anybody ever snubbed United and NOT regretted it?

The first example i can think of is Paul Gascoigne, he wrote in his autobiography that rejecting United was his biggest mistake during his carrer and he openly told Wayne Rooney to choose Man Utd ahead of his beloved Newcastle.
Alan Shearer is my next example. Okay, if you were to ask him if he made the right decision he would probably say 'yes' from his heart but i think his head would be saying 'no', despite to this day being a Newcastle legend, he won nothing at Newcastle and had to sit and watch Man Utd lift the treble a year after he snubbed them... big mistake Shearer.

Personally i think Ramseys made a big mistake now, i think if you ask him at the end of his carrer 'was you right to snub united' it will be a big fat 'no'.

Can anybody think of any more examples? prehaps there are people who have snubbed united and been more sucessful than us? and do you agree (try to be unbiased) that you should never snub United?

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
when ronaldinho left psg, he chose barca over us.
i think its fair to say he's had enough success to argue his decision.
but on the whole i agree with you, not too many players turn down united and still get success.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You're right. Ramsey will definitely regret the decision at the end of his career. Ok, so he might find it easier to break through the ranks at Arsenal than at Manchester United, but why hide from the challenge?

He will probably win some silverware at Arsenal but not nearly as much as he would have if he was at United. We are more likely than Arsenal to taste success in the next decade..

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
i believe a certain kenneth mathieson dalglish was wanted by us and indeed little lou macari having come to us instead of the pool made us hopeful . instead scousers paid 440 thousand english pounds and one of the finest players ever to lace a boot went to the dark side . i am sure he regrets to this day picking up title after title and european cups rather than join the doc then deadly dave sexton for our version of the wilderness years . thats why he looks so miserable all the time

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
RED MAN WALKING said:
1 player i think is robben he went 2 cheski over us and won titles and cups then joined real and won a title so i dont think he would regret it
just gave me a peter kenyon related brainwave.
we were in for robben, essien, drogba and mikel.
robben im sure regretted his decision to join chelski because he left 3 years later for madrid, where granted he's doing ok.
for the others, its perhaps a bit early to say.

Z

·
0 Posts
haggler said:
i believe a certain kenneth mathieson dalglish was wanted by us and indeed little lou macari having come to us instead of the pool made us hopeful . instead scousers paid 440 thousand english pounds and one of the finest players ever to lace a boot went to the dark side . i am sure he regrets to this day picking up title after title and european cups rather than join the doc then deadly dave sexton for our version of the wilderness years . thats why he looks so miserable all the time
I can only imagine the pain he must be feeling inside :(

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Dean555 said:
Alan Shearer is my next example. Okay, if you were to ask him if he made the right decision he would probably say 'yes' from his heart but i think his head would be saying 'no', despite to this day being a Newcastle legend, he won nothing at Newcastle and had to sit and watch Man Utd lift the treble a year after he snubbed them... big mistake Shearer.
I sincerely don't think Alan Shearer looks back on a single moment of his career with regret. I mean yes he sacrificed trophies...

Hang on people, prepare for a cheesey Hollywood metaphor. For reasons unknown even to me I'm glued to The Family Man on Channel 9.

For goodness sakes it's a Nicholas Cage movie. It's a bad Nicholas Cage movie. That's twice as bad as a regular bad movie.

The point is in the movie Cage wakes up in an alternate life. Previously he was a high flying business man on Wall Street worth millions.

Then he wakes up as a tire salesman in the suburbs. Blah, blah, blah earns true value of family etc etc. Can't believe I'm still watching...

This is how Cage makes money. Wooden actor. Terrible movies. One facial expression. You can't look away, like a car crash.

To get back to the point Shearer may not have won anything significant but a trophy doesn't make you a brilliant footballer.

Benni McCarthy is a Champions League winner. Adebayor has played in two Champions League finals.

Yet there are dozens of strikers better than those two, as good as they are. There a trohies to be won every year.

The likes of Shearer come around once in a generation. He went to Newcastle and found a place where he belonged.

Where notoriously fickle fans licked his boots. Strange folks, Geordies. He scored goals, became a legend and made people smile.

Good enough to call any career a success in my opinion. Paul Scholes has enough trophies to fill an entire mansion.

Knowing Scholesy he probably keeps them in his sock drawer. Trophies didn't make him a legend. Legends make themselves.

The trophies are just there so other people can say "oh he won that". Scholes doesn't need the medals. No true champion does.

It's not like they look at them in the morning and say "Oh yeah. Won that". They know they're good. That's all they need.

Gotta stop watching Cage movies. I'm getting way too sentimental. :(

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
robben would of regretted his dession
the boy could of still be at unite now
instead he goes to chelsea treated like sit by jose and head out to madrid
mikel don't even get me started on that one
essien and drogba i suppose they are happy

the thing i don't get about ramsey is hes a united fan
so if it was me i would be regretting it if i saw my team lifting more trophies and thinking i could of been there with the lads
but good luck to the boy :) he will get playing time straight away with gunners anyway

Z

·
0 Posts
Ramsays Dad is a Liverpool season ticket holder
and says he'd never allow him to sign for United.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Ballack also snubed us...I think the picture of him crying in the CL final when we lift the cup sums up his regret hehe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ramsey's situation can be a little too early for us. I think he was blinded by a part of United's deal to send him back to Ninian Park on loan for next season, as against Arsenal's promise of first-team chances. Anything can happen though.

Apart from him, there may be others who have, or may have, regretted at not joining us:

Gazza: i'm sure he is! Just read his bio! Although I feel for him...

John Barnes: He may be a Scouse legend, but he could've won more with us!

Alan Shearer: credit to him, he's a football legend. But he's niggling a bit of not winning at least another title. Maybe Teddy can console him for that :D

Michael Ballack: He's a bit starting up at Chelski, so anything can happen. Then again, snubbing us at the death cost him a taste of Prem success and eventual CL glory. Hey, blessing in disguise for us 'cos we got Owen Hargreaves instead!

John Obi Mikel: The nerve! He's worse than Le Sulk! One minute he's relishing his Blues chances, but once he saw us winning bigger things, he lamented at not sticking his guns with us, even crying his eyes out! Oh man, I can't stand people with attitudes like that!

Arjen Robben: I wouldn't say he regretted anything. He won something at Bernabeu, did he?

Andriy Shevchenko: two-three yrs ago, I was able to read a rumour that he was once interested with us. I don't know if he regrets not joining us (at least giving him a shot of vengeance vs. the Red Scousers in a final), but anything can happen.

...I forgot the other names of players who admitted in snubbing United and regretting it a bit, but hey...I'm sure the list will be longer if we won a few more trophies in the next few seasons! :D Hey, how 'bout mentioning players who regretted not staying at OT for a few more seasons?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ramsey have made the right decision for his career..In Manchester United even player like Tevez must fight for his place while Wenger always uses young boys in the firse team

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
-zuco- said:
Ramsays Dad is a Liverpool season ticket holder
and says he'd never allow him to sign for United.
If thats true, and he hasn't signed for us because of that, he must be pretty spineless imo.

Its his decision in the end. Its not his dad who would be signing for United. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
Not signing.........

........but Ronaldo will regret it if he decides to leave for Real.....

Ramsey will not be played for Arsenal ofetn either considering Arsene's policy of no Englishmen :rolleyes:

·
Registered
99 Posts
we no nothin about this ramsay. he's had 1 season in the championship & people r saying he's gonna b the best in the world. wot has he done. rooney come through scoring the winner against arsenal. dats special. ramsay will b a decent player. but wenger can't brew up british players. he's ruined richard wright & jeffers's careers. He'll probarly go to spurs in a few years time & fade away. Overall, i don't care about ramsay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
RedAdam said:
just gave me a peter kenyon related brainwave.
we were in for robben, essien, drogba and mikel.
robben im sure regretted his decision to join chelski because he left 3 years later for madrid, where granted he's doing ok.
for the others, its perhaps a bit early to say.
Neither Drogba nor Essien "snubbed" Utd. We were simpky priced out of moves for them. SO not the same

1 - 20 of 24 Posts