Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I dont know about you lot, but Im delighted these 2 old warhorses
are back in the action. 13 months its been that Neville has played at OT
and he got a great ovation coming on last night.
Its a great time in the season to be getting players back from injury.

I was never a huge Silvestre fan, but having watched him in the reserves,
he looks fresh and ready for action and Im delighted for him that he is back
in business. These 2 have 900 appearences between them, which show
what fantastic servants to United they are.

But what role do you see these 2 playing this season?
or even next season and beyond?

Im so happy they are back and our squad is looking so strong.
I believe we have the best group of players in World football,
the evidence is there.
So welcome back Silvestre and Neville :)
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought Silvestre was outstanding last night, particularly for a player being out for so long. He was assured on the ball, and strong in the tackle. Good to see him back 100 %.

As for Gary, I really hope he has a couple of seasons left in him. He is a great full back when 100 % fit.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
was delighted to see those two back.....silvestre had a solid game and nevilee didnt have much to do in the game.....but was surprised to see him in the centre of midfield....
i dont think silvestre will get more games though...evra will play in the important games and unless evra is injured i dont think he will play that much....neville may playt more but i think he will be kept in the subs bench for this season...
the coming years..hmm...not sure for these 2....i think may be silvestre will be sold and neville will be replaced by a younger player.....but we will have to wait and see...but i am delighted that they are back after their injuries

·
Registered
569 Posts
Silvestre was good last night but i didn't see Gary Neville play much but in those couple of minutes he played was enough for me to think his back again :p

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
they are great assets to the team, and they still got something left in the tanks to contribute to a special team in building. however, i believe this season the backline is more or less fixed and the performances have been fantastic week in week out. so i dun see any reason to change the solid backline from now until the end of the season, when every game from now onwards can be consider a final and we have 8 finals to play yet.
so unless there is anymore major injury concerns, they would find it hard to challenge a first team place this season, but i still hope they can get some kicks when the league title is safely in our grabs.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
The boys are back in town!

Silvestre has taken some stick from United fans over the years but it was great to see both of them back last night. Perfect timing too with the run-in upon us.

Silvestre was solid throughout - put in some strong tackles, 1 brilliant cross and did very well to last the 90 minutes considering it was his first game since August.

Gary Neville wasn't on the pitch long and it took him a few minutes to touch the ball but he looked assured in his new central midfield position :D and could have scored! It was very amusing to hear the loud cheers whenever he touched the ball and the cries of SHOOT when he was near the opposition box. The most important thing is that we have our captain back!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Glad they're back. Even though i was watchin on TV, i applauded when he came on. Our Captain is back. Couldn't have picked a better place for a return than Old Trafford on a European night :D

If we made it to the Final, i wonder is, who'd play, Him or Brown? Brown has played all season long so it'd be unfair on him to make way, but then Gary is our Captain. It'd be great for him to lead us out in Moscow.

Now if Saha can stay fit for the remainder of the season, with a Full strength squad to pick from, we're in with a great chance.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Silvestre and Neville... So nice to have them back...
Their experience will surely give the younger lads lots of pointers on defence.
They should be able to play for another season or 2... Many can learn much from them, a boost to the defence with more players to rotate will give rest to many.

A good opportunity for the young to learn.

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
NateR said:
Glad they're back. Even though i was watchin on TV, i applauded when he came on. Our Captain is back. Couldn't have picked a better place for a return than Old Trafford on a European night :D

If we made it to the Final, i wonder is, who'd play, Him or Brown? Brown has played all season long so it'd be unfair on him to make way, but then Gary is our Captain. It'd be great for him to lead us out in Moscow.

Now if Saha can stay fit for the remainder of the season, with a Full strength squad to pick from, we're in with a great chance.
If we got to the final and Fergie
chose Neville I would be furious ... :mad:

Wes has done a brilliant job this
year while Neville was out !!

He is part of the hardest defence
to score against in the Prem League ...

You dont get a record like that with
luck - you have to earn it and fight
for it - and our back four have done
that week in and week out all season.

Neville will have no right whatsoever
to be in the final !!!

As for having these 2 back - it's good
news of course - Neville is a lovely
sight when we see him running
down the wing terrorising opposition
defenders, lol.

However.....

I still have doubts and fears he is up
to lasting another season at this level.

I really believe he is past his sell by
date now ... :(

Sadly - it's time to move on.

I hope he proves me wrong of course.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Well I dont know about you lot, but Im delighted these 2 old warhorses
are back in the action. 13 months its been that Neville has played at OT
and he got a great ovation coming on last night.
Its a great time in the season to be getting players back from injury.

I was never a huge Silvestre fan, but having watched him in the reserves,
he looks fresh and ready for action and Im delighted for him that he is back
in business. These 2 have 900 appearences between them, which show
what fantastic servants to United they are.

But what role do you see these 2 playing this season?
or even next season and beyond?

Im so happy they are back and our squad is looking so strong.
I believe we have the best group of players in World football,
the evidence is there.
So welcome back Silvestre and Neville :)
Thoughts?

It can only make our squad stronger but i wouldnt brake up our back four this season they are purely squad players for me this season . well done jazz c-

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I was so so happy when I saw them both named on the squad list! Fergie promised one at least would start and it was Silvestre which was a very smart move because Evra is on a yellow and was also rested for Arsenal on sunday. Silvestre is our backup left back and centre back and can play sweeper and he has loads of expereince and is a solid player and to me is identical to wesley just on the left side. People say we need to buy a new left back but why? We got Evra then Silvestre then if needed we got O'Shea so that is more than enough. If judas hienze didnt leave then yeah maybe we could of sold Slivestre but that wasn't the case so I say we should stick to him and this way our defenders could get more rests because Evra has been playing quite a fair bit and he also needs rest just like the attacking players get. It also brings in more competition and more options the line up which can only benefit us. Seeing Gary Neville come on just made my day! I was waiting soo soo long for him to come back! He looked comfortable and had no side affects to the injury which is good. He now needs to play more so he can get an EPL title because you need certain number of minutes before you can qualify for a medal and I say we should use this defence vs Arsenal on Sunday:

Evra---Rio---Brown---Neville

1 - 13 of 13 Posts