Manchester United Talk banner

First Choice RB - Neville or Brown?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
I voted for Brown but not because I am overly excited or convinced beyond doubt that oh yes, he is the one for us as RB, search no more please.

I just thought it would be ridiculous to vote for Gary after what Brown has done so credibly for us last season in his absence and that of course, with such a long layoff, Gary can't be the better of the two at this precise moment.

Besides, I do think it is wrong to live on past reputation and quickly install Gary to the fore, captain or not. It would be most unfair to Brown, at least at this moment again, and would compromise selection on merit most awfully.

And anyway, we only have both these names in the poll. Not much contest actually. Lol.

I never thought Brown is a natural RB or will be converted to one permanently and thus cement the position like Evra has done on the left. Yes, he can do a job there but he does have weaknesses on the flank too. He is not quick enough to return in time if he joins in the attacks, his crosses are pretty bad most of the time when he does that and is most susceptible to fast and nippy wingers, often caught in a no man's land in such circumstance. For me, he is still the best cover for Rio and Vidic in the role of a central defender because he is especially strong in the air and solid in his interventions.

On the contrary, the reverse is found in another viable option whom may make this poll much more interesting and challenging. His name is Hargreaves. Owen Hargreaves.

Game enough to add him to the poll, Jazz?

As for Simpson, he looks good to me albeit for the future. Fast and explosive in forward play, final delivery not quite there though and defensively still rather raw. But being a great promoter for youngsters in looking forward to the future, I really hope he will be given a fair chance to challenge for at least a squad member's slot in this department. If he can't overtake any of the above, just too bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wes Brown was exceptional last season and although I had my worries about him, he proved me wrong. He was rock solid along side Rio, Vidic and Evra and no player has the right to walk into the team just because they are back from injury. They have to earn the right to be there and at the moment, Neville has to sit out on the sidelines for me. Brown has shown great form and until his form dips or he suffers an injury, only then should Gary be drafted in at RB.

Also, we have seen it many times before. When a player suffers a serious injury (especially knee injuries!) and has a lengthy spell out of the game, when they come back they are never the player they once were. I hope I am wrong though. I would love to see the Gary of 3-4 years ago, bombing up and down the flanks.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
versa said:

On the contrary, the reverse is found in another viable option whom may make this poll much more interesting and challenging. His name is Hargreaves. Owen Hargreaves.
Game enough to add him to the poll, Jazz?

lol at the James Bonding of his name...

Good point Versa, though it would be too late to add him to the poll now.
Its great that Hargo can play there and it shows the great strength and
depth we have in our squad. Im a huge Hargo fan and believe he should
be in the starting 11 when fit. If he plays in the middle, on the right or at RB
is all good by me. Just as long as he plays.
Wes has earned the right to be no.1 RB but with injuries, suspensions etc...
Hargo, Nev and Simmo will all be in with a shout to play at some point.

Id also like to thank members for their great posts on this thread.
Every post is a great read with valid points. I enjoy making these threads,
especially when the response is this good. So thanks :)

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
---------------------vds
Hargreaves---Rio---Vida----Evra
Ronaldo---Carrick---Anderson----Nani

That way we'd get a lot of attacking from our fullbacks, and Carrick and Anderson tend to sit deep anyway and could probably cover in case we get in trouble.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
Fully agree and you saved me having to write more than one sentence Mr Bond.:D
Well, thats what I'm here for! :p

But, back to the thread, some people are saying that Neville has to prove his fitness/ability to get his place back. Well, for me, Wes has to prove that hes off form or if he gets injured before Neville gets his place back.

I would hope Simpson gets some games as well. I'm a big fan of his, and think he'll become a very good player. True, hes not defensively strong atm. But neither was Evra when he first came, so if he works at it, I'm sure he can become an accomplished defender.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
Gary Neville is my choice

gary is a great ball winner you see him cut the ball on the right side
while i rarely see brown do that

we need his spirit we need his passion we need our captain
we dont see the same passion from wes

gary have awesome long throw ins
brown dont throw good throw ins

Gary have a great impact and influence on the team
plus he is great at his position
remember in 98/99
he started some matches in the middle cuz johnsen was injured
and we weren't good
but when gary returned to his position as a right back we began to win more

Fergie get our captain back to his place :)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Wes for many reasons, heres a few.

Size has become a big factor in the premier league as has athleticism, Wes beats Gary at both of these aspects.

We've had a great defensive record over the past 18 months so why mess about with it?

I think playing Wes Brown lets Rio Ferdinand become more vocal through the team !
Rio takes the games by the scruff of the neck when playing with Wes and is the dominant talker throughour the team.

im not saying Gary Neville should play this season but Wes Brown should be first choice in my opinion :) no doubt about it

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
For me it depends on training really and we cannot see how they both train lol

I would rotate both but my first choice would be Neville as he is our captain and Brown can also be back up for CB.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
hot topic i guess coming into the new season!! Brown is fit, neville is fit!! Exciting!

Anyway as for Wes Brown...I think he is highly underrated. Okay in no way is he anywhere near as naturally attacking and good with his feet as evra on the opposite end but he is the hardest and strongest tackler of a ball at united. If there is a 50/50, not even vidic will go in as hard. I really do not know how strong he managed to get and it explains why he has had so many injuries too. Anyway he should continue to play at right back after the season the back 5 have had...you cannot just let neville walk back into that imo.

I understad he is club captain but we have another club captain who seems really great for the job in Rio too...it just suits him at united for some reason.

Anyway without doubt to me, Brown should be given another run in the side because he was top class last year. His footwork came on heaps and bounds too and he was very good going forward.

As for Hargo, he is a central midfielder, not a RB...he is versatile and can play there if needed but i am very much against changing a guys position, especially at this stage of his career.

Hargo is a class act...as a midfielder :)

pz

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Wesley for me , he is a better defender than nev all round.
Wes is better in the air , better in the tackle and the only thing nev is better at is going forward and crossing the ball.
Plus the age factor and nevs long injury i do not think he will ever get back to his top form prior his injury

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I suppose we should start the season with Brown and then see how Gary pulls up. If he plays well enough in training then sure. He get's his spot back.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Gary Neville is the captain so if he can prove his fitness for the start of the new season then he will start.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
wes
neville shouldn't be able to just walk back into the team
should have to wait patiently for his opening just like another player
neville is a bit old now anyway

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
stretty said:
Wesley for me , he is a better defender than nev all round.
Wes is better in the air , better in the tackle and the only thing nev is better at is going forward and crossing the ball.
Plus the age factor and nevs long injury i do not think he will ever get back to his top form prior his injury
stretty :eek:
brown cant defend good
neville can defend better :rolleyes:
if neville was little bit taller he would have been playing a central defender
neville is better in every thing except for air play
plus age doesnt matter at defence
madline cafu nesta materatzi cordoba carlos hyppia cannavaro they are old and they play
cafu used to pla regular football 2 years ago and he was older than gary now :rolleyes:

god how the hell the fans forgot about neville :(

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Maldini, Cafu etc never missed 16 months of football when they were in there 30's though. I actually think Brown is maybe a bit better defensively than Neville as he is stronger, bigger and he plays really well in the big games.

Neville is/was better going forward mind.

Plus age matters more in the Premiership than in other leagues because its so fast paced and obviously as you get older you lose a yard of pace which will get exploited a lot more in the premiership than in Serie A or La Liga.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.