Manchester United Talk banner

First Choice RB - Neville or Brown?

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would stick with Wes personally . He waited long enough for his chance and when it came along he took it with both hands . I think what you need , especially defensively , is consistency .The understanding the defence had between themselves
last season was probably the best we've had in a long time. Gary Neville is long enough in the game to understand how things work . All he has to do now is keep fit and answer the call when he is called upon by the manager .

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
TheManc said:
Maldini, Cafu etc never missed 16 months of football when they were in there 30's though. I actually think Brown is maybe a bit better defensively than Neville as he is stronger, bigger and he plays really well in the big games.

Neville is/was better going forward mind.

Plus age matters more in the Premiership than in other leagues because its so fast paced and obviously as you get older you lose a yard of pace which will get exploited a lot more in the premiership than in Serie A or La Liga.
no mate brown dont cut any ball he is just an extra player in the right flank
he maybe bigger and stronger physical ability
but he dont defend well
neville cut balls
neville have a presence on both attack and defence

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
abojodeh said:
no mate brown dont cut any ball he is just an extra player in the right flank
he maybe bigger and stronger physical ability
but he dont defend well
neville cut balls
neville have a presence on both attack and defence
But after 16 months out its unlikely that he will ever get back to his previous form. You can see from Pre season that he is extremely rusty so even if he was to regain his form it would take a long time, which is risky, especially with the tough start we have.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
TheManc said:
But after 16 months out its unlikely that he will ever get back to his previous form. You can see from Pre season that he is extremely rusty so even if he was to regain his form it would take a long time, which is risky, especially with the tough start we have.
Give Neville a rest and he well get his form back :)

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Wes will fight for his place

Wes Brown is - like most Reds fans - glad to see Gary Neville back in action for United. But he's promised to push the club skipper all the way for the right-back slot he occupied so consistently last season.

The 28-year-old defender played more games (52) than anyone in the United squad last term, and he's looking for more of the same this time around - starting with a place in the team to face Newcastle on Sunday.

“My personal aim this season is to play as many games as I can for United and hopefully to help the side win more trophies,†he told Red View.

“Gary [Neville] is fit again so he will obviously be competing with me for the right-back slot this season, but I'll keep working hard and look to take advantage of the opportunities I get.â€

United need the experience of players like Wes and Gary as the Reds attempt to retain the English and European crowns, a task both players have plenty of experience in at Old Trafford. Having let the Champions League go after the United's last triumph in 1998/99, there is a steely determination to be the first team to hang on to the trophy in the tournament's current guise.

"We're all feeling positive about our chances after the success we had last season,†Wes added.

“We're certainly not over-confident because the Premier League and Champions League are such tough competitions to win. But there's an excitement around the place and we're looking forward to getting the new campaign underway."

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6616119

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Gary is fit again so he will obviously be competing with Wes for the right-back slot this season, but Wes will keep working hard and will look to take advantage of the opportunities he gets.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts