Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United captain Gary Neville has hit out at former players for taking managerial jobs in the Premier League while unqualified.

All top-flight bosses are required to hold the UEFA Pro License and the defender's outburst comes in the wake of Alan Shearer's appointment as interim Newcastle manager this week.

Neville is in the process of acquiring his UEFA 'A' badge and feels bitter towards those who walk into jobs without their coaching badges.

"Players are getting jobs without the badges because they couldn't be bothered, or didn't have time, or played at the top level so think - 'why do I have to do it?'," Neville told The Times.

"The FA and Premier League have to stand up and be counted. They have to start taking a tougher stand on it."

Neville, who has spent his entire career at Old Trafford, has been tipped to one day take charge of the club but admits he is unsure if a managerial career is for him.

"Being a football manager reminds me of boxing," he said. "Twenty years ago, you would fight the best and get beat, but that didn't matter. You'd have another go.

"These days, boxing is stage-managed. They plot a path to the top because lose one fight and you're seen as a bum. And that's what management feels like. One slip and you're a bum, is that really for me?"

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Manchester United | Neville slams quick fixes

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
As far as I'm concerned if someone wants to jump in the deep end without the right qualifications it's their business.

Some do succeed. Avram Grant. Very underrated manager. Got one of his badges after accepting the job.

Shearer might not be so lucky though. As for the 2nd point about managerial careers I agree completely.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
nev as ever says it as it is and seems to have a good idea of how he wants to go about his own future which is always good to know

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
A lot of great players haven't been as succesfull as they were in their prime if they take on managerial careers. Those certificates are made for anything. It's the same as a driving licence. You have to learn a thing or two before you taking up such a thing.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
My dislike of it has nothing to do with badges, its just that they dont know what the **** they are doing! Ince, Keane etc

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I blame the clubs, after all the hire the unqualified people. Its their own fault, they're are plenty out there who have the necessary badges. I do wonder wtf the point of them really are, especially since all of these former players just circumvent the whole program.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
gary is mr united . he is me in a united shirt --if i was any good !!!

there is no side to gary .

i cannot begin to tell you how much i love the guy .

he does not deal in flim flam and sees the hypocrisy in others .

he may or may not make a great manager but one thing you can bank on is if he tries it he will give it everything

1 - 9 of 9 Posts