Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ferguson anxious that Ronaldo doesn't leave United on a 'Webster'
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Ferguson-anxious-that-Ronaldo-doesn39t.4652444.jp

Published Date: 02 November 2008
By Mark Ogden

SIR ALEX Ferguson has admitted that Cristiano Ronaldo's Manchester United future will reach a key stage next summer with the club likely to prepare a new contract for the Portuguese forward in an effort to prevent him exploiting the Webster ruling, and possibly leaving Old Trafford for just £12m, 12 months later.

The suspicion that Ronaldo is sulking over his failure to secure a move from United to Real during the summer is widespread and his on-field demeanour, which can be best described as moody, even surly, has done little to dispel the belief that he will make a play for the Old Trafford exit door again at the end of the season.

With Madrid making empty noises last week suggesting that they are no longer interested in pursuing Ronaldo, United would appear to be free to thrash out new terms for the player at their leisure. But with Ronaldo 18 months into a £125,000-a-week contract, United must tie him to a lengthier deal next summer or risk him buying out the final two years of his contract at the end of the 2009-10 campaign, triggering the Webster ruling – FIFA's Article 17 – that enables players to buy out their contracts and move on in the third year of their deal. The ruling has been named after Andy Webster, the Scotland defender who invoked the clause to engineer a move away from Hearts in 2006.

Ferguson said: "Next summer will be a key element of his (Ronaldo's] contract situation because he will have three years left then. That's comfortable enough, but I think the big clubs will shy away from that (Webster ruling] because it could happen to them, so I don't think it will be an issue. But I don't care two monkeys about Real Madrid to be honest with you. We have the player we want, they don't have the player they like. (Ramon] Calderon, the Real president, promised so much to get the lad and some of his comments were ridiculous. There was a complete arrogance about it all, so I was delighted that Ronaldo stayed. There was no question of Ronaldo leaving anyway, absolutely no question."

Second article:

NEW £150,000-A-WEEK CONTRACT FOR RONALDO

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/69040/New-150-000-a-week-contract-for-Ronaldo

By John Richardson

Cristiano Ronaldo will be offered a new contract in the summer to extend his stay with Manchester United as the latest war of words between his club and Real Madrid erupts.

Boss Sir Alex Ferguson believes the Old Trafford hierarchy will tear up the £60million-rated Portuguese winger’s current £110,000-a-week deal next summer – which would still have three years to run – in favour of an extended £150,000-a-week agreement.

Ferguson knows from regular chats with chief executive David Gill that United are prepared to offer their coveted forward another lucrative deal once the season is over.

United feel that next summer is the crunch because if it was left another season Ronaldo (below) would have only two years left on his existing contract.

Under article 17 of FIFA’s transfer regulations players below the age of 28 can buy out their contracts making them free agents.

ut Ferguson insisted: “Nobody has ever bought themselves out. I believe the big clubs would definitely shy away from that because it could happen to them. I don’t think it will be an issue in football.” Ferguson’s confident prediction of a new deal for Ronaldo comes just days after angry Real president Ramon Calderon called the United manager senile and likened him to General Franco.

Last night Ferguson fired back insisting: “I don’t care two monkeys about our relationship with Real Madrid to be honest with you.

“We have the player we want. They don’t have the player they would like. All that is going on regarding Calderon is to do with the fact that they couldn’t get Cristiano.

“Calderon promised so much that he would get the lad. Some of his comments are ridiculous. There is a complete arrogance about it all.

“There was no question of Ronaldo leaving anyway, absolutely no question.”

Real Madrid’s recent public statement that the Spanish champions have no further interest in Ronaldo does not fool Ferguson.

He knows that behind the scenes the plotting has already begun to take the player to the Bernabeu at the first opportunity.

But the United boss warned: “Yes, it’s possible that these are the first shots of another attempt to get him. They do it all the time.

We’re ready.

“We have enough ammunition ready. I’m only using one gun at the moment. I’ll get the gatling gun out in January!”

- I love the bit where Fergie says he doesn't give two monkeys about the relationship with Madrid. That must be old man's speak for I don't give a flying f :D
Equally love the bit about him getting out the gatling gun in January.

Fire away, Fergie. Fire away!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Gatling Gun?!?! haha, very nice Fergie!!!

I know football players are all about the money these days, but I thought that Ronaldo's desire to play for Madrid was driven by the fact that he probably dreamed of playing for them as a child...not for the money? Well...I guess that's a bonus for him!

Anyway, hope we manage to hold onto him! Wouldn't be surprised if he left at the end of the year...

That first article was a little off to be honest...Ronaldo's on field demeanor has been pretty great when he scores I think. I think he's got the passion for United back!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
As happy as i am, i'll be very surprise if he signed it..Well wasnt he's the one who said money is not the factor for him wanting to play in madrid? It has always been his dream so im not sure if that amout reported we are going to offer him can make him stay. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
If another 30k is what he needs to start to feel faithful to his current club this guy is nothing but a.....
If he's getting a new deal just so he'll stay this is the best chance he'll get to earn respect and the love back by going out on lets say MUTV telling he'll stay even without the this contract so Fergie can put it back in the drawer. So Ronaldo, you've done the talking about United. Can you do the walking?

·
Registered
139 Posts
i dont think his on-field demeanour, had anythin to with not goin to madrid tbh, i think it was the way he was playin that was botherin him, now he has started scorin again he is lookin a much happier guy :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree. He just looked frustrated to me. Frustrated with his form, not frustrated that he's still here and not at Madrid. He should have scored four yesterday, though.

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
I think that he will accept the new contract if offered and he'll become the best payed player ever in the premier league (hope that will satisfy him)

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Sorry, but why should he get a new contract?

We should have sold him in the summer, but now that hes here I wish him well but only for the sake of Manchester United.

But a new contract is the last thing we should be offering him, and if he only wants to stay here for a new contract and a pay increase (as I believe is the only reason he'd want to stay here) then we should wave goodbye.

·
Banned
292 Posts
manutd004 said:
Sorry, but why should he get a new contract?

We should have sold him in the summer, but now that hes here I wish him well but only for the sake of Manchester United.

But a new contract is the last thing we should be offering him, and if he only wants to stay here for a new contract and a pay increase (as I believe is the only reason he'd want to stay here) then we should wave goodbye.
You seem to have forgotten about the webster ruling, a law which means that a player under 28 with 2 years remaining on his contract can buy out the remainder of his contract and go wherever he wants. If Ronaldo decided to do that then Manchester United recieve around 12 million for a player who is worth at least 50 million in todays transfer market. So I think it is of critical importance that Ronaldo's contract is extended before the end of the season, hopefully Ronaldo will sign an extension is January for a slight increase in wages which is insignificant compared to the money we would miss out on if he walked out using the webster ruling.

·
Registered
585 Posts
A year extension worth around 125-130k a week is what he will sign. Then he may go in 2010 but at some point we will have to let him go.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Banana-rama said:
You seem to have forgotten about the webster ruling, a law which means that a player under 28 with 2 years remaining on his contract can buy out the remainder of his contract and go wherever he wants. If Ronaldo decided to do that then Manchester United recieve around 12 million for a player who is worth at least 50 million in todays transfer market. So I think it is of critical importance that Ronaldo's contract is extended before the end of the season, hopefully Ronaldo will sign an extension is January for a slight increase in wages which is insignificant compared to the money we would miss out on if he walked out using the webster ruling.
Easy solution. Sell him next summer.

He only signed a contract 18 months ago, in which he received a significant wage increase. He shouldn't be getting another wage increase.

We should offer him a new contract perhaps but in no way does he deserve a wage increase. Wages are spiralling out of control as it is, and if he gets another increase players may start to think that they can try to hold us to ransom.

·
Banned
292 Posts
manutd004 said:
Easy solution. Sell him next summer.

He only signed a contract 18 months ago, in which he received a significant wage increase. He shouldn't be getting another wage increase.

We should offer him a new contract perhaps but in no way does he deserve a wage increase. Wages are spiralling out of control as it is, and if he gets another increase players may start to think that they can try to hold us to ransom.
No you don't understand, he will be able to buy out his contract next summer. Do you think Real will pay us 50 million if they can get him to buy out his contract at a cost of only 12 million? Why would Ronaldo sign a contract extension if there was no wage increase??? If his contract is not extended before the summer then we could be short changed for tens of millions.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Banana-rama said:
Would a player who wants to stay in United do that?:rolleyes:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Banana-rama said:
No you don't understand, he will be able to buy out his contract next summer. Do you think Real will pay us 50 million if they can get him to buy out his contract at a cost of only 12 million? Why would Ronaldo sign a contract extension if there was no wage increase??? If his contract is not extended before the summer then we could be short changed for tens of millions.
Sorry. Misunderstood.

I thought that it was the season after next summer he could buy out his contract. :eek:

But I still maintain he shouldn't get a wage increase unless its desperation stages. Even then, if he does sign it, we should still sell him imho.

And if he doesn't sign a contract for the same amount of wages, I guess we then know where his priorities lie.

Banana-rama said:
Why would Ronaldo sign a contract extension if there was no wage increase???
Well, he would if he really wanted to be here.

·
Banned
292 Posts
spellbound said:
Would a player who wants to stay in United do that?:rolleyes:
It is not about wether he wants to stay or not, it is a matter of him either leaving for a cut price 12 million or us being able to cash in for around 50 million. If his contract is extended it does not mean he will not leave in the summer, but it does mean that Manchester Untied will not be short changed for tens of millions and will recieve what the player is really worth.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Banana-rama said:
It is not about wether he wants to stay or not, it is a matter of him either leaving for a cut price 12 million or us being able to cash in for around 50 million. If his contract is extended it does not mean he will not leave in the summer, but it does mean that Manchester Untied will not be short changed for tens of millions and will recieve what the player is really worth.
I know what you mean and what this Webster is.

Im just not being bothered about this guy. He wanted to leave this summer and he came with a lame excuse and now he tries to convince us that he wants to stay.

And what is he worth? If he's not for sale his value cant be estimated, can it?

Ronaldo will be our fall.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Banana-rama said:
Erm incorrect.

He can buy out his contract in the summer of 2010 not next summer (the end of this season).

He is just slightly over a year into his current 5 year contract, so we can still sell him at the end of this season without him being able to buy out his contract.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Erm incorrect.

He can buy out his contract in the summer of 2010 not next summer (the end of this season).

He is just slightly over a year into his current 5 year contract, so we can still sell him at the end of this season without him being able to buy out his contract.
So its not next summer that he can buy out his contract? I didn't actually read the full article, so I thought I was wrong and just didn't check back.

So, I stand by what I originally said. He shouldn't get a new contract, and we should sell him next summer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts