Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rangers manager Walter Smith has urged Uefa to consider formulating a European League.

Smith is keen for Scottish giants Gers and Celtic to financially compete with their competitors on the continent and sees the new format as a way of assisting their aims.

The former Scotland boss has proposed the 'big' clubs from Scotland, Portugal, Holland and Scandinavia could compete, leaving Rangers to put out a B team to play in the SPL.

"Rangers and Celtic are two huge clubs who deserve to be in a better circumstance than they are in Scotland," said Smith.

"There are a number of big clubs all over Europe who find themselves in the same position.

"We are nearly all hamstrung in terms of finance in comparison to the bigger leagues and few people are doing a great deal to try and equalise that.
Impact

"Uefa have got to help bigger clubs in small countries and there are a whole load of them out there, desperate to get closer to the likes of England, Germany, Spain and Italy in financial terms.

"It's the biggest problem in European football at the moment and it impacts on us at Rangers and Celtic.

"There should still be a UEFA Champions League but there should be a European league to rival ordinary domestic leagues.

"We should have a Saturday fixture in a European league.

"If Rangers and Celtic were offered the chance to play in a new European format I would agree to that.

"But that doesn't mean we couldn't have teams here.

"I would hope we could still have a team making a decent challenge in the Scottish league but it would give the other teams in Scotland an opportunity to win, which they are not getting for the same reasons we are not getting them European-wise."

possibility or non runner?
thoughts please

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Not a bad idea, but the finance behind such a proposal is astronomical, just in terms of logistics and trips...
And would the outcome be enough to merit it? I say let's give this new UEFA Cup format a chance, and see what it provides first...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Celtic & Rangers needs to escape the SPHell but I'm not sure if this is the way to do it. The problem is that outside the big leagues in Europe, they've all got massive teams who are too big for the league.

But at least in the likes of Portugal and Holland there are 3 or 4 'big' teams - in Scotland there are only 2.

This is a non-starter for me.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
hmmm this is interesting. because personally i enjoy watching celtic, not so much rangers they bore me. but celtic have great history and deserve more than away trips to motherwell every sat. no disrespect to the scottish league but yeah celtic and rangers are above it. but i dont think this is the answer. because it isnt going to improve the club on a world wide scale. because they will be playing in a competition that the English spanish, italians, germans etc etc wouldnt care about. i really really dont think their is gonna be an answer to the problem. its all down to the country itself tbh not other countries. uefa just have to work on football in these specifc countries to improve it

Z

·
0 Posts
It's a bit hypocritical expecting to be able to compete with the big European clubs when the rest of the teams in the SPL can't compete with Rangers and Celtic.

·
Registered
573 Posts
i did hear a few years back that an idea was on the table for Rangers and Celtic to drop out off the Scottish Cup and take part in the FA Cup and see how they fare in that and depending on how well they do they could then try and join the English leagues (i dunno how this would work as we have 7 leagues including Conference north an south) how far down would they start? would they start in the premiership and have the league go back to 22 teams and have 42 games??

i do agree they are good teams in a weaker league and need to try and do something to get out as they are better than that and some prem teams aswell might i add

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Non-starter, and I don't want a European League. Thats what the Champions League and UEFA/Europa League is there for.

What gives Celtic and Rangers, or whoever else wants to break out of their league, the right to expect to play in another league or a European League?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts