Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Premier League plan subs shake-up to up number of young 'home reared' players

The Premier League want to introduce a rule next season whereby two of the seven substitutes on each bench must be under-21s developed at the club's academy.

The move comes as Uefa and Fifa step up their plans for quota systems.

Concerned that many players are graduating from academies and then struggling for games in a foreigner-filled division, the Premier League are keen for "home-reared'' youngsters to be involved on match-day.

The plan, which should have been brought in for this season to coincide with the increase of substitutes from five to seven, is also designed to help England, although the rule would not differentiate between foreign youngsters developed at a club and English.

Two of those starting on the bench for Arsenal at Blackburn, the 20-year-old Dane Nicklas Bendtner and the English 16-year-old Jack Wilshere, would both qualify as under-21 academy graduates.

Chelsea would need to promote some of their youngsters, as Saturday's bench contained Juliano Belletti, Didier Drogba, Alex, Hilario, Branislav Ivanovic, Wayne Bridge and Salomon Kalou, none of whom would meet the proposed academy under-21 requirements.

Liverpool would also need to alter their bench with their seven comprising Steven Gerrard, Sami Hyypia, Ryan Babel, Diego Cavalieri, Andrea Dossena, Fernando Torres and David Ngog, none of whom qualify. Manchester United have plenty of "home-reared'' talent but few regular bench-dwellers who meet the under-21 requirement.

The Premier League scheme is a softer version of Michel Platini's Uefa's plan to bring in quotas based on age, not nationality like Sepp Blatter's Fifa idea of 6+5. For this season's Champions League and Uefa Cup competitions, English teams must abide by Uefa's 4+4 stipulation: four members of the 25-man squad must have been trained by the club for a minimum of three years, from 15 to 21, as well as four more developed at other English clubs.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I'm usually pro rules like this but for some reason i do not like it. I was happy to see 7 subs introduced and i think it should be left like that. That alone gives the clubs an opportunity to give younger players some appearances.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Great news. I remember a post a while back where I said I that I hope we get a rule where you have 9 subs, 5 of whom have to be homegrown players and this rule would bring it closer to my idea.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Hmmm....

I have mixed feelings about this.

While it seems like a good idea on paper, I would prefer that managers can name the subs they want. If I were a young player rising through the ranks and named on the subs bench while this rule was enforced, I would have serious doubts about whether I merited the inclusion because of my performance or merely to make up a quota.

Also, this rule doesn't give the young players a true picture or feedback about where they stand in the pecking order or how close they are to breaking into the first team.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Rules like that arent the best idea, i think the 7 subs definitely gives more room to having young players on the bench.. last season when we were cruising in games we should have been able to give Pique etc 20 mins on the pitch but with only 5 subs we didnt really have the luxury!

I think most managers will naturally utilise the extra subs to allow for younger players to have a shout at getting minutes on the pitch... I expect to see Gibson, Possebon and Rafael getting a number of chances in games already won this season!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
don't have a problem with this one actually good idea to be honest, ironically united are one of the best teams (if not the best) at putting youngsters on the bench n blooding them in games anyway so shouldn't make any difference to us...gonna shake up a few other teams benches a bit tho

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Hmmm....

While it seems like a good idea on paper, I would prefer that managers can name the subs they want. If I were a young player rising through the ranks and named on the subs bench while this rule was enforced, I would have serious doubts about whether I merited the inclusion because of my performance or merely to make up a quota.

Also, this rule doesn't give the young players a true picture or feedback about where they stand in the pecking order or how close they are to breaking into the first team.
Its always a good idea to see home grown players get their chance but as RFR says some youngters will feel that they are on the bench simply because the manager has no choice! As he says "they wont know where they stand and how far they actually are from the first team"
Is ok putting a youngster in when we are winning 3-0 but think about it is that really good for a youngsters development if he gets 3 or 4 non importent games a season!
So im mixed about this also

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Hmmm....

Agree 100%.

This will probably be irrelevant, as younger players in England will be getting a lot more money than in Scotland, for example, but the younger players are going to be getting all the bonuses, and will end up having more money than the players who are also at their level but who haven't been lucky enough to named on the bench.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts